ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Where Husker coaches are recruiting this week UPDATE: 9/22 4:23 p.m.

Greg Smith

Blackshirt
Staff
Apr 20, 2017
Lincoln
Interim coach Mickey Joseph let the cat out of the bag on Tuesday when he announced that the staff will be out recruiting this week.

It is easy to take for granted that this is something the staff should be doing but remember they were pretty reluctant to do it in recent years. I’ll use this thread to update the board as I get more intel but here is what I know so far.

>> Mickey Joseph will be in Monroe, Louisiana and New Orleans this week. He announced that on Tuesday. What he didn’t announce was that running backs coach Bryan Applewhite will be with him on those visits. The Huskers are still recruiting four-star offensive lineman Zalance Heard who attends school at Neville High School.

Even more importantly Heard’s team plays wide receiver commit Omarion Miller’s team on Friday night. Good kill two birds with one stone situation. It’s critical that the Huskers hold on to Miller.

On Saturday the pair will stop in to see three-star running back and Tulane commit Arnold Barnes. Nebraska offered the New Orleans native on Tuesday night and he was pretty pumped.

“Coach Applewhite offered me,“ Barnes said. “I think he is an elite coach who has been in the business a long time. I think we could have a great bond with him and the coaching staff.”

The Huskers are definitely giving Barnes something to think about with his commitment to Tulane but obviously things are very fluid.

>> Inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud will be in Colorado this week to see commit Hayden Moore. The defender let me know via text that he’s still committed to the Huskers and the recent changes don’t impact his decision.

>> Director of high school relations and former Nebraska defensive back Kenny Wilhite has been activated and will be on the road for Nebraska. He’s going to his hometown of St. Louis on Wednesday. I’m told Wilhite has been working with the defensive backs after the defensive staff shakeup.

>> The only person that won’t be going out on the road this week is offensive coordinator Mark Whipple.

I’ll keep passing along anything else I’m able to find out.

Thursday update

>> Newly named defensive coordinator Bill Busch will be out in the Kansas City area. One of his known stops will be to see wide receiver commit Jaidyn Doss.

Friday update

>> I just heard back from 2024 tight end target Carter Nelson from Ainsworth. He informed me that tight ends coach Sean Beckton was in town last night to see him play in person. I'm hoping to catch up with him a little later to get a full update on his season and recruitment. It was good that the Huskers got him on campus for the Oklahoma game.

>> Kenny Wilhite is still in St. Louis visiting high schools. Here he is pictured at St. Louis University High associate head coach and former Husker Lorenzo Brinkley.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News