ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite memory of Husker Football with your Dad??

superman787

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2004
With Raiola committing tonight it literally did bring tears to my eyes…

Because, I wanted to call my Dad so bad…

I have been on this Husker Board a long time and people might remember when I lost him in 2007.

He use to buy me Husker Media guides every year. My job was to know everything. He started doing this in College with me. (To you youngsters out there, we actually had to use books. I shit you not.) And, trust me. If he asked me during a game who someone was….If I didn’t know their high school, height, and weight, and favorite pet. He would get pissed. Seriously. lol.

Also, Every year around this time. He started buy a New Jersey every year. I own 27. Yes. 27 Huskers Jerseys.

But, my favorite memory of the jerseys was #4 and # 12….

My Dad got me a Bobby Newcombe #12

My Dad himself a #4 for DeAngelo Evans.

That did Not end well as DeAngelo flamed out after he talked shit to a certain Fullback and his ass broke.

My Father literally pouted because he couldn’t wear his #4 Jersey. Heartbroken and pissed.

I will never forget the phone call. A year Later…

My Dad, like a kid I in a candy store.

“JUDD DAIVIES!!!!”

Keep in mind a year later….

I was like what are your talking about Dad!?! It is 10 PM!?

“Judd got #4!!!” We landed the top ranked fullback out of Omaha and he got the number. Dad was jacked and #4 was back in play

I laughed so hard.

Sorry for the sappy post. My first thought tonight were about how my Dad would be losing his mind right now.

And maybe that is really what makes Husker Football Awesome.❤️

Go Huskers

My favorite Nebraska moment with my dad was either going to a cold rainy game and being in the top row with dad making sure I was better covered from the rain. Watching the game and seeing my dad talk with everyone there like they were 25 year friends.

Also the Miami 24-17 win when the game ended, sitting at my dad’s house just yelling and screaming and running around like fools as we went through every emotion during the game.

He loved the Huskers and we watched or listened to countless games over the years. I still miss him. Thank you for this post, brings back great memories.

Awesome thread topic.

My favorite memories were me and my Dad sitting in his pickup truck every football Saturday listening to the games before they were all on TV. If the game was on TV? We'll, that was a big time event. We even got to go get snacks for the game!

Will never forget the first Husker game he took me to for my 12th birthday. Coming from a town of 1,000 people I was awestruck by all the people.

The thing that is the worst for me about how bad we have been is that I haven't been able to share that that same passion for the Huskers with my boys. Two of the four are pretty decent fans, but since they haven't experienced the unbelievable success that was all I knew for my first 30 years, they can't understand why I care so much and why I get so fired up when we do poorly.

I do think Rhule is the answer and I hope they are able to get a taste of the success that I was spoiled with.

That's tough. My dad has supplied 2-4 season tickets one way or another since I can remember, which would have been 1984 or older. We've been to an orange bowl, 50 yd line at UCLA, the famous @ Texas A&M game was unforgettable.. It kinda sticks w me I sat and watched the 94 orange bowl with him remembering like I was a child, then the next year was stealing a keg to supply the HS party during the Florida beat down. Don't be in a hurry to get away from your parents kids.

My father is 96 and going through some health issues mostly memory issues, I‘ve Seen so many great games with him either at the stadium or on TV that I can’t honestly pin point a certain game from the Devaney and Osborne era’s way too many to mention and some of Pelini games, like the Westercamp last second catch or the 57 yard FG against Colorado..

I was 9 in 1971, the year my dad and I snuck into Memorial Stadium at halftime of the season opener against Oregon. We watched the Huskers dismantle the Ducks while we squatted under the east balcony.

Later that fall, in our basement on Thanksgiving Day, we watched as Johnny Rodgers fielded a punt. As the Jet raced toward Oklahoma's end zone, my father picked me up and tossed me into the ceiling tiles, then caught me as I dropped.

"Man, woman and child, did that put 'em in the aisles."

Dad died about 19 months ago at age 83.

Go Big Red.

Last edited:
Great topic.

Dad took me to my first game and my love of Husker football starts from his influence. When I got season tickets of my own I lived out of state but would come back for some of the games and I would take him to a big game every year to say thanks for everything he did for me growing up. Very very special to see Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass and Alex’s 57 yarder with Dad.

Taking him to see games with his grandson has also been very special, even if we almost never won those games.

Good times.

Well I never said anything about it here before but my dad passed away just about two years ago.

He was a Husker player and multi year starter and all conference running back. Ran track at Nebraska and set some pretty good records - including a world record.

I grew up a Husker fan since birth. We used to come back for a game every season. I remember the first time trying biscuits and gravy with a breakfast buffet at the Cornhusker hotel and thinking I was in heaven.

Remember him taking me to meet Coach Osborne in his office my junior year of football and Coach telling me how great my dad was as a player. Maybe he was doing his part to make a kid think his hero dad was the real deal. Didn’t care - it worked. 😊

Remember the ONLY time I heard him curse in my life was when Oklahoma scored a TD back in 2001. He got so frustrated and balled up his hands and blurted out the S word. I didn’t say a word but was floored. And thought it was kind of funny.

I remember the jersey they gave him when they brought all of the ex players back in 2003 and how proud I was that he was part of it.

I’ll remember the fact that when they moved to Arizona in 2002 we would watch every Husker game together while on the phone. We would call before kickoff. Hang up at halftime and get back on before the second half kickoff. We only missed 6 games in 20 years.

I remember the dread I felt at knowing I’d watch that first game without him. I remember wondering if I should stop watching Husker football because it wouldn’t be the same without him.

I remember watching the spring game without him. Went outside to the outdoor tv and watched it there so my kids didn’t see the tears.

I remember Emmett johnson scoring a late TD to seal the game earlier this season and me wanting so bad to call him and knowing I couldn’t. Those tears came back for the first time in almost two years with me saying out loud through tears in my eyes “dad we are going to be good again” because for the first time in my life since Osborne I truly felt like we had the right guy in place to “effort” us back to winning.

missing him won’t ever go away. Matt Rhules work ethic has made it easier to watch Husker football with renewed hope that the in field results will improve.

Watching Nebraska Oklahoma game of the century and then the orange bowl against bama, still remember how Johnny musso was going to run all over Nebraska we had no chance, anyway during the game Rich Glover tackled Johnny for a loss of yards and when glover got up he patted Musso on the ass like your not doing that tonight

My father took me to my first Nebraska game in 1982. The Cornhuskers played Oklahoma State. Junior RB Mike Rozier broke the Big 8 rushing record that day as the Cornhuskers rolled.

Was a little cold, but never noticed. Got two button pins to put on my coat and Nebraska stocking cap. Still have the buttons and hat to this day as well as the ticket stub. Only wish I still had my dad too. But it's a day I'll never forget.

Grouse hunting in the Sandhills of Nebraska with dad and relatives. We'd all be sitting in the back of the truck bed on bails of straw. There would be a cooler of barley pops for the adults and soda for the kids. For some reason they always had a bottle of Southern Comfort. Come game time dad would stop the truck, break out the sandwich stuff and tune the radio to husker football. Those were the good old days I'd love to revisit just for a few days.

Going to Norman in 1971 for the game of the century.
My dad died younger and so I really don't have a lot but he bet me one dollar OU would win that one. We put our dollar bills on top of the tv set. A dollar was a lot to me because I was only 6 years old but I was fascinated with NU football.
A year later we went to the ISU game in Lincoln. J. Rodgers returned a punt to the house and right before he got to the endzone he turned around and back pedaled with the ball held up.

Took me to the 74 NU-OU but not such a great memory.

Got a Jeff Kinney jersey for Christmas. You don't know how treasured that was.

My dad died younger and so I really don't have a lot but he bet me one dollar OU would win that one. We put our dollar bills on top of the tv set. A dollar was a lot to me because I was only 6 years old but I was fascinated with NU football.
A year later we went to the ISU game in Lincoln. J. Rodgers returned a punt to the house and right before he got to the endzone he turned around and back pedaled with the ball held up.

Took me to the 74 NU-OU but not such a great memory.

Got a Jeff Kinney jersey for Christmas. You don't know how treasured that was.
apologize for taking for taking you as troll..

you’ve had some real troll posts in the past..

My parents had 2 season tickets since before I was born and I always got to go to one game a year with my dad. It was almost always the 63-3 blow out of New Mexico State or similar but it was the highlight of the year for me.

My dad's boss had 2 parking spots right across from Memorial Stadium, in front of the Husker store, that they would tailgate at. One year my dad told me to go in and pick out a shirt. This was rare as he never spent money on game day. It was always eat and drink as much as you can before we go in, grab a sandwich from the tailgate to stick in your pocket for the game, we never bought anything on those Saturdays.

I still remember, 40+ years later, that shirt. I don't remember the graphic but it said "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch". I was the proudest kid Monday morning at school walking in with that shirt that came from the game. Best Husker/dad memory.

With Raiola committing tonight it literally did bring tears to my eyes…

Because, I wanted to call my Dad so bad…

I have been on this Husker Board a long time and people might remember when I lost him in 2007.

He use to buy me Husker Media guides every year. My job was to know everything. He started doing this in College with me. (To you youngsters out there, we actually had to use books. I shit you not.) And, trust me. If he asked me during a game who someone was….If I didn’t know their high school, height, and weight, and favorite pet. He would get pissed. Seriously. lol.

Also, Every year around this time. He started buy a New Jersey every year. I own 27. Yes. 27 Huskers Jerseys.

But, my favorite memory of the jerseys was #4 and # 12….

My Dad got me a Bobby Newcombe #12

My Dad himself a #4 for DeAngelo Evans.

That did Not end well as DeAngelo flamed out after he talked shit to a certain Fullback and his ass broke.

My Father literally pouted because he couldn’t wear his #4 Jersey. Heartbroken and pissed.

I will never forget the phone call. A year Later…

My Dad, like a kid I in a candy store.

“JUDD DAIVIES!!!!”

Keep in mind a year later….

I was like what are your talking about Dad!?! It is 10 PM!?

“Judd got #4!!!” We landed the top ranked fullback out of Omaha and he got the number. Dad was jacked and #4 was back in play

I laughed so hard.

Sorry for the sappy post. My first thought tonight were about how my Dad would be losing his mind right now.

And maybe that is really what makes Husker Football Awesome.❤️

Go Huskers
My dad was no Husker fan. I do remember when my grandma converted me. Kickoff classic curb stomping of Ped State.

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
Back around 1972 or so my dad took me to a Husker breakfast at ICC I believe in Omaha. I would have been about 8. I got my picture taken with Dave Humm while he signed something for me. That picture made the Omaha World Herald. I have an 8x10 glossy of the picture also.

2001 Nebraska vs Oklahoma.

We were ranked #3 and Oklahoma was #2. was captivated watching Eric Crouch, dude was like Superman out there.

i thought this was what watching Nebraska football was always gonna be like, crushing teams in the top 5. Though I was young, I still remember watching both the Colorado and Miami games that followed, and it felt like I was watching a tower fall in slow motion.

2nd best was 2009 Nebraska vs Oklahoma. The cynicism had already set in for me. I was at this game and had no expectations of winning, but that defense certainly did.

Hey Superman brother,

It’s been a while. How is your daughter doing?

My dad wasn’t the biggest Husker fan. He was raised in Chicago on the north side, so Cubs baseball was more his speed than NU football. I think he became a fan because he married my mom.

Dad has been gone now since October 2018, but I had sort of locked away in my mind that he took me to my first Husker game in Lincoln when we played Baylor and won 49-0 in 1996. I had been to games previously in Manhattan because my uncle taught at KSU, so we used to go down for that game every other year. Anywho, dad took me to my first game as I won tickets in a raffle back when I had a paper route delivering the Lincoln Star and later the Journal Star, yes that is right kids, the LJS used to be a morning paper, the Star and the afternoon paper, Journal and they merged them about a year into the job.

At that time my dad used to work 6p-3a, a sort of hybrid night and overnight shift and it was a day game, so he must’ve been dragging so hard that day, but he never showed it. I remember getting to eat at Valentino’s after the game. So much pizza 🍕 for a 11 year old me!

Thanks for all the stories so far. Husker Bill, sorry for your loss, but awesome stories, made my night.. Hugs and great memories

Also, love the fact that some "old school posters " are coming in hot!!!! Love it!!!

The Sleeping Giant is Awake

Go Huskers!!!

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
My Dad is just not a sports fan, but my Mom was and Dad would do anything for his family. They had no money, but somehow they got 4 tickets for us to go to the K-State game in the mid-80's that was a legendary snow game. So, Dad couldn't have cared less about the game but he scratched together money that he really didn't have to take us to our first game. I'll still ask him, "Did you watch the game today?" and he'll say, "No, I was reading a book."

2009 Holiday Bowl. It was the last game my father and I got to watch together. He was on chemo, but was actually feeling pretty well that day and we both got to take our minds off everything and just watch and talk football and enjoy the game together. It, and the season, had also left us hopefully Nebraska football was headed in the right direction.
He would be in hospice 6 months later, but that game is my favorite with him. Not even watching the 94'-95' championship games standout. I love those games and loved watching them with him, but they don't standout like the final game we watched together did.

My Dad is just not a sports fan, but my Mom was and Dad would do anything for his family. They had no money, but somehow they got 4 tickets for us to go to the K-State game in the mid-80's that was a legendary snow game. So, Dad couldn't have cared less about the game but he scratched together money that he really didn't have to take us to our first game. I'll still ask him, "Did you watch the game today?" and he'll say, "No, I was reading a book."
That kinda sucks, but not everyone likes sports. Did your dad hunt or fish?

That was the first game that my dad took my brother & me to

Reactions: mgbreis
This is a great topic as I lost my father 3 years ago. A few memories that stand out are me yelling at the TV as we were going for 2 and Turner Gill throwing the incomplete pass. Why didn’t we just kick the extra point and go for the tie. My father telling me that winners go for the win and he respected Osborne for doing that. Secondly, watching the Orange Bowl with my father when Nebraska got Osborne his first Championship beating Miami 24-17. My father saying it was complete. We finally made it. Next, when we hired Frost. I kept telling him we got a good one. Him telling me I was full of shit. He definitely got tired of the losing over the years. Finally, sitting at my sons 8th grade basketball game the other day and my Nephew texting me that we got Raiola! We were both pumped! I texted my nephew back and told him Papa just smiled. Damn, I miss him…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT