ADVERTISEMENT

We're a developmental program

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
Trev said it yesterday, and we all know it down deep. It's not a bad thing, and it's always been the case here, even during the championship years.

Embrace it. Don't expect freshman to be all conference. Bring them in, coach them up, build them up and turn them loose.

An occasional legacy walk on that does great thing is a piece of this puzzle.

True. Just some people use the term as if we are or should be Iowa. Iowa develops certain positions extremely well, I'll give them that. But overall? Nah.

TO developed everyone. Even our walk-ons were better than when they first got here. We're just never going to be USC or coastal Giants who bat an eye lash and receive commitments from 5 start recruits who come in feeling entitled and need ego managed like a pro team does.

I'd rather be developmental and have tough nasty mfers who play with a chip in their shoulder.

True. Just some people use the term as if we are or should be Iowa. Iowa develops certain positions extremely well, I'll give them that. But overall? Nah.

TO developed everyone. Even our walk-ons were better than when they first got here. We're just never going to be USC or coastal Giants who bat an eye lash and receive commitments from 5 start recruits who come in feeling entitled and need ego managed like a pro team does.

I'd rather be developmental and have tough nasty mfers who play with a chip in their shoulder.
I feel like I give credit where credit is due. Iowa can develop some offensive lineman and tight ends along with a few defensive line and linebackers. Why they refuse to develop a quarterback is beyond me. They're a little bit stubborn about their philosophy and style of play. I guess they feel better about 8 guaranteed wins every year and not going for the ring.

I feel like I give credit where credit is due. Iowa can develop some offensive lineman and tight ends along with a few defensive line and linebackers. Why they refuse to develop a quarterback is beyond me. They're a little bit stubborn about their philosophy and style of play. I guess they feel better about 8 guaranteed wins every year and not going for the ring.
To be fair, Brian Ferentz has been the QB coach for less than a year. Give him some time to work his magic.

Trev said it yesterday, and we all know it down deep. It's not a bad thing, and it's always been the case here, even during the championship years.

Embrace it. Don't expect freshman to be all conference. Bring them in, coach them up, build them up and turn them loose.

Exactly what I want us to be. Going away from that concept ended us as a national power.

Some programs are developmental like mine, K-State, they win by playing old. Others are recruiting based, like Texas, they win with raw talent. And then there's the elite, like UGA and Bama, they do both at the highest levels.

Some programs are developmental like mine, K-State, they win by playing old. Others are recruiting based, like Texas, they win with raw talent. And then there's the elite, like UGA and Bama, they do both at the highest levels.
Accurate. Bama and GA can tell the elite it's our way or the highway. Then the rest of us scramble for their leftovers

Accurate. Bama and GA can tell the elite it's our way or the highway. Then the rest of us scramble for their leftovers
I will say that the portal (leftovers) has brought some semblance of parity to the game. K-State football this year is a classic example, particularly on the defensive side. Iowa State basketball last year was portal based, from awful to the Sweet 16.

Apparently this statement does not apply to the quarterback position

Reactions: Yantzeee

I guess I don't get this.

Who says that we're not that kind of program? Dips it Iowa fans?

We did it better than anyone in the country for decades. That's what Nebraska is all about..

Hell, look at our AD. He pretty much epitomizes this program.

215 pound nobody = All American at Nebraska.

We just need these young men to put in the work. Like, real work. The seniors on this team are at least 60 practices behind all the other top 75 teams. Just need to put away their pipes and scrap those game consoles and they might have a chance at a bowl game this year.

Reactions: king_kong_
For some reason he doesn’t see the double standard
It’s not a double standard when I say purdy sucks & Haarberg has potential

It’s the truth. Do you not watch Nebraska games? Are you blind?

45%, 3ypa, 0.3 air yards per attempt(!), 0 TD on nearly 50 passes. Playing with the leading single-season WR in NU history.

Zero plays for 20+ yards rushing or passing. Those are shockingly pathetic numbers any of us could replicate coming off our couches into game action tomorrow.

Kid’s got no juice & it’s as obvious as the sky being blue

Last edited:

We can be both. Don’t mind being a developmental program as long as we aren’t developing players just so they can then go to another school to play at instead.

It’s not a double standard when I say purdy sucks & Haarberg has potential

It’s the truth. Do you not watch Nebraska games? Are you blind?

45%, 3ypa, 0.3 air yards per attempt(!), 0 TD on nearly 50 passes. Playing with the leading single-season WR in NU history.

Zero plays for 20+ yards rushing or passing. Those are shockingly pathetic numbers any of us could replicate coming off our couches into game action tomorrow.

Kid’s got no juice & it’s as obvious as the sky being blue
Purdy has been put in awful situations for the most part and has at times moved the team.

Reactions: arf_man
Purdy has been put in awful situations for the most part and has at times moved the team.
he started a game. played in six.

in the 72 plays that he had the ball in his hands, he has produced 220 yards (3 yards/play) and a 2:4 TD to turnover ratio. 0.3 air yards per attempt is a shocking stat over 48 pass attempts in college football.

again, this is while playing with the most prolific WR in Nebraska Football history in the exact same offense that saw another quarterback throw for 2,400 yards at 8.8 yards per attempt (8.4 air yards/attempt).

are you Mrs. Purdy or something? because no objective person could possibly hold the honest opinion you post over and over in the face of what every person has seen him do with their own two eyes.

he started a game. played in six.

in the 72 plays that he had the ball in his hands, he has produced 220 yards (3 yards/play) and a 2:4 TD to turnover ratio. 0.3 air yards per attempt is a shocking stat over 48 pass attempts in college football.

again, this is while playing with the most prolific WR in Nebraska Football history in the exact same offense that saw another quarterback throw for 2,400 yards at 8.8 yards per attempt (8.4 air yards/attempt).

are you Mrs. Purdy or something? because no objective person could possibly hold the honest opinion you post over and over in the face of what every person has seen him do with their own two eyes.
Again, he was put in awful situations the first few times they ran him out there. HH will likely perform in a similar manner if he’s put in the same position this fall. I’m not going to throw either one in the scrap pile just yet.

Brock Purdy had turnover issues at ISU at times too. You put him in a more friendly offense for a QB with better coaching and a better run game and suddenly he looks like a pro bowl QB. BOTH HH and Purdy would need to be game managers in a run heavy offense and at this point I don’t see much difference in the two. I’m hopeful that there’s some of Brock’s play making DNA in Chubba.

Again, he was put in awful situations the first few times they ran him out there. HH will likely perform in a similar manner if he’s put in the same position this fall. I’m not going to throw either one in the scrap pile just yet.

Brock Purdy had turnover issues at ISU at times too. You put him in a more friendly offense for a QB with better coaching and a better run game and suddenly he looks like a pro bowl QB. BOTH HH and Purdy would need to be game managers in a run heavy offense and at this point I don’t see much difference in the two. I’m hopeful that there’s some of Brock’s play making DNA in Chubba.
there's not. he's been playing college football for 4 years. we'd have seen it.

his best play for NU was a 16 yard throw to M Washington. his second best play was drawing a roughing the passer penalty. 72 plays with the ball in his hands, those are the 2 best.

I know you like to point to the michigan game as proof purdy has something. he totaled 95 yards and zero points in the 1.75 quarters he played.

Brock was the most accurate passer in his high school class. basically started 4 years. threw 400+ passes twice, never threw more than 9 picks in a season. never averaged less than 7.5 yards/attempt. 10.4 yards/attempt as a true frosh.

the only - and I mean only - thing the two have in common is their last name. I'm sorry, but that ship has sailed.

Purdy chokes under pressure.
Even in the spring game he’s scared to death

Best plays are immediate pull downs after first read is covered. We’ve been so bad so long people actually believe these to be productive plays.

I’d rather have a guy who holds it too long than a nervous chicken

Still can’t believe Mickey aired him out in that interview last year. Savage

Developmental program? Aside from a couple of players in the last 20, years, we haven't developed shit. How about a big boy program that needs to win and needs to win now? Culture and all of the trendy bullshit jargon? Excuses. 25 years ago, no one knew or cared what culture was. Now it is trendy. Get good players and coach them up... win games.. That is how it is done and has been for 125 years.. Culture? Buying in? Didn't hear that before the internet.

Developmental program? Aside from a couple of players in the last 20, years, we haven't developed shit. How about a big boy program that needs to win and needs to win now? Culture and all of the trendy bullshit jargon? Excuses. 25 years ago, no one knew or cared what culture was. Now it is trendy. Get good players and coach them up... win games.. That is how it is done and has been for 125 years.. Culture? Buying in? Didn't hear that before the internet.
How did you enjoy your Hawkeye spring game? 😗

Reactions: drubendall
We’re a developmental program is an excuse for whiffing on every big time recruit we had in here this spring. If you want to recruit well you need to hire guys who can recruit. Frost’s original staff didn’t have any. And Rhule has maybe Cooper, and maybe Wager might be good eventually. Way too many first timers on this staff to be able to really lock it down. Smart and Saban never go without known recruiters on their staff.

Maybe these short-term losses will have long term gains, but Rhule has to at least be bowling year one for the revenue to continue to pour in to the program. Guys like the OP will say Rhule needs 4 years, great. Husker fans aren’t on year 1 like Matt is. A bad season this year will not only hurt the pocket books of the athletic department and Trev’s construction company buddies it will also dig a massive hole in recruiting. Program will continue to look like a loser in the eyes of recruit. Winning is the easiest way to recruit

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
I'm not sure how much development there really is going on at the college level. Freshman naturally need to mature and look different than Juniors and Seniors.

So this is just a time element and also influenced by how hard a kid works in the gym.

Most development has to come from the kid himself. How serious does he take his work on the practice field and how hard does he work to get better daily. I think of Ameer Abdullah as an example of a kid who worked his way to success. These examples exist, but are more rare to be honest.

Most other successful athletes probably worked an average amount, but had above average talent and ability.

Nebraska lately is at a big talent deficiency, way lower than even Pelini's recruits.

So is the way out more development work or talent or both?

You have to define what is development. What is traditionally thought of as development is not the answer.

My big criticism of most coaching staffs, (including to some extent Pelini) is they aren't really developmental staffs at all.

They all try to get the best athletes they can, and then do the best they can during practice.. That is all fine and dandy, but that isn't the kind of development work that needs to be done.

There is an element here of turning boys into men and being the kind of staff that leans in, when a kid has problems.

Most staffs do not do this.

Once a kid becomes a problem, it is human nature to think of him as becoming a headache and the kid ends up getting some sort of punishment, dog house treatment, and eventually processed out.

One of the reasons Tom was so successful is the actual development of kids in this regard. Rarely did you see Tom process kids out. They got extra time, extra attention, extra development, even though Tom himself got extra scrutiny from the press.

So to me, I have to define development as something more than just what happens on the practice field. A successful developmental staff, is one who leans in to these things, even though they are an administrative headache. That is one of the secrets or signs of actually being a good developer of boys into men.

Pelini had some of this, but often times he tired of dealing with player issues, to the point of him becoming a bit of a tyrant.

However most staffs, don't put much or any effort into this sort of thing, and if you're not on board, you're out the door.

I thought Mickey Joseph had a chance to be a good developer in this regard as well. Shame how that turned out.

When I think of someone like Urban Meyer, in regards to player development, I think he also leaned in and this had a big impact on his success as well.

We don't know how the new staff will turn out.

Do they have a better practice and day to day standard? maybe

Can they get better talent here? maybe

Do they lean in or just process 'problems'?

That to me, is where the 'development' really needs to be.. I want to see us keep really talented players, even if they are a headache and require more 'development'. This is what coaches are being paid obscene amounts of money for.

If you're going to build a program of choir boys or think you can create a team of Ameer Abdullahs, then I would ask for example of this approach actually being successful on a consistent basis.

I would argue most team send certain positions to the pros more tan others. Development is the same everywhere. UN would do well TO be like Iowa is that regard. Iowa does well with OL, DL. TE, LB AND DL. Thats a pretty good representation. As far as walk on, Iowa developed those to

• Haha
Reactions: SaladTossingHawkeye
So many variables at play here. Rhule does seem to have a tendency for developing lower rated recruits. And we've found ways to lose with all kind of recruits. He is also on record as saying they will take less polished pure athletes over a higher rated less athletic recruit. He seems to have some kind of proven history doing that.

I don't think anyone thought he would immediately start bringing in top 10 classes. The key is showing progress. Hard to get momentum while never improving. I'll also wait to see the results because he appears to be very hard working and organized. Which is different from taking a flyer on a 3 star who hasn't been vetted, just to fill a slot.

Reactions: BleedRed78
So many variables at play here. Rhule does seem to have a tendency for developing lower rated recruits. And we've found ways to lose with all kind of recruits. He is also on record as saying they will take less polished pure athletes over a higher rated less athletic recruit. He seems to have some kind of proven history doing that.

I don't think anyone thought he would immediately start bringing in top 10 classes. The key is showing progress. Hard to get momentum while never improving. I'll also wait to see the results because he appears to be very hard working and organized. Which is different from taking a flyer on a 3 star who hasn't been vetted, just to fill a slot.
you'll wait & see?

or you'll be concerned?

pick one

Concerned about what?
concerned about Rhule's evaluation of his players

not 15 hours ago you were expressing grave concern about Rhule starting kids who were not highly graded out of high school

now, you're saying you'll wait and see

so, for the 3rd time, I say pick one

Reactions: scarletred
concerned about Rhule's evaluation of his players

not 15 hours ago you were expressing grave concern about Rhule starting kids who were not highly graded out of high school

now, you're saying you'll wait and see

so, for the 3rd time, I say pick one
I'm concerned that you aren't capitalizing. Are you qualified to ask me these questions since you aren't capitalizing? You seem to be one of those guys that is nitpicky when trying to win an argument. You also didn't put a question mark.

No. I am not concerned about Rhule's evaluation skills. I also dount that Boerkircher is his first choice for a starting TE if he had a chance to develop the roster fully. Are you now somehow implying that Rhule didn't inherit some/most of his players?

Hey, I get it. You're a guy who gets a rush off of arguing on the internet. But you are looking kind of nuts with your constant propping up of players who have done nothing or barely anything.

I can't wait for your witty, uncapitalized comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT