ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Gambling Thread

Toledo +9.5
Utah st +24
Tennessee -27.5
South Carolina +2

Post your picks if you’d like

Whether you’re fading or following, good luck!

**Edited after the results today**

I'm not playing anything today, because I'm seeing how things are shaping up in college football.
So far 16 teams have covered the spread, and 22 have failed to cover.

Historically, the best opening lines to bet are 7-9.5 and 21-27.5. Both are over 58%. (Too low for me).
The lowest percentage to cover include teams that open between 10.0 and 13.5 points. (Only 36% cover the spread).

One angle that I looked at today was the highest percentage teams to cover might include:

Boston College -8 v. No. Illinois Did NOT cover, BC lost in OT
Liberty -8 v. Bowling Green Covered
Army- 8.5 v. UL Monroe Did NOT cover.
Illinois -9.0 v. Illinois Did NOT cover.
Again, I didn't play anything, but this is a spread that I don't believe I will use this year. All these teams with this spread are up and down offensively and generally low scoring. It's like betting horses that will finish a nose or head apart, too close for my taste, not enough room for error.

Three other high percentage teams to cover would include:

Tennesse - 27.5 v. Virginia COVERED
Kentucky - 26.5 v. Ball State COVERED
Auburn -35.0 v. U MASS (Last year Auburn was 3-4 td's less than GA, ALA, TENN). COVERED
(Hugh Freeze far superior to Hartsell as coach, plus that team quit on him last year).
Again, I didn't play anything. I'm going to be more willing to give points to teams that tend to score a lot of points. There is more room for error.

Again, I'm not playing any of these games, I'm just gathering data for the weeks to come. So don't pay any attention to these games as a barometer. Its an ongoing experiment.

At this point, the numbers are just the numbers.

A decent 4 team parlay would have been Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn and Toledo.

Until you get into the sector of teams that consistently score a lot of points, the leading factor for most teams is if their QB is returning or if a new starter for that team. Then I'm taking into account if they had a QB transfer in that has a history of taking care of the ball or not. For example, Hartman at N. Dame vs. Ugaleilei at Oregon State, Sims at NU, Daniels at Rice.

Oregon State has been very good, but now they are gonna start the kid from Clemson who has a history of turning the ball over. He may remain bad or he may really improve, because that Oregon State coach is low profile, but very good. The QB will prove it one way or another in the first few weeks. The Tulane coach is the same type.

I tend to be very methodical in my approach. When you're collecting data you don't want to start jumping to conclusions until you get some verification that you're on the right track. I know for a fact, I won't be playing -3.0 and under spreads. One bad play can get you beat.

I'm developing a spreadsheet and the right data will present itself when the time comes. It's awful early.

Today, Ohio State looked like a slam dunk vs. Indiana, yet they only scored in the 30's, so their adjustment from Stroud to the new starter is apparent. Even Michigan is slow out of the game and they should have really rolled today, but they didn't.

Sorry for the long post. I was 0-0 today, and sometimes that's a pretty good day.

I'm not gonna start playing until I remove the unstable teams from my choices. The very strongest angle that I have found so far is teams that are coming off a loss. There look to be some really great rebound teams. The problem is the three that I plan to plan will probably not lose more than 7-8 times combined this entire year.

Last edited:
Preston North End - Stoke under 2.5
Under 4.5 Lada-Tractor
Under 2 Cluj - Voluntari
Under 2 Bologna Cagliari

TCU/Buffs Under 64
Michigan +35.5
Herky Under I had early at 45.
bucknuts/Indiana Under 59.5.
Toledo +9.5

Last edited:
I can't be the only one with a full card today

let's see those picks!

I really thought they would rout Indiana today. That's a tough beat for you Gretna.
Me too. I really thought with them playing two QBs that they would have their starters in for at least three quarters and would be pouring it on. But their offense looks like they have a couple Bausermans leading the way.

Reactions: king_kong_
Toledo +9.5
TCU -20.5
Utah st +24
Tennessee -27.5

South Carolina +2

Post your picks if you’d like

Whether you’re fading or following, good luck!
kong, that's what I like to see. Not necessarily the result, but the posting of the results. Its one thing to just predict a score and nobody thinks anything of it after the fact. It's another thing to own it.

You, scarlet, myself we posted what we liked and planned or considered as a play.
In my case, I played nothing, but I did make some comments about why I would or would not like certain spreads.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT