ADVERTISEMENT

We used to be the most knowledgeable fan nase in the country

AKAtheguy

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
I want to start by saying I still cheer every week for a win and will make our annual trip for one game with my son to a game (as coach and a player with Saturday games, that's about all we can do).

Now, on to the educational part. We pride ourselves on being the most knowledgeable fan base but lately I'm not seeing it. Ive see soo many fans making uneducated claims that we are still on the verge of turning things around. People that think we played a good NW team to the brink and did what we needed the next week against ND. People that didn't even know how bad both those teams really are and how fundamentally bad we are.

I'm not gunna lie I started the year like many with a clean slate cuz hey if you start the year defeated what's the point of watching college football. But any educated fan can see their eyes didn't lie the last 4 years plus 2 weeks 2022.

Like Trev, I knew it was improbable, but I still would have bet on a 7 win season, which we know is now equal to the odds of the Kentucky derby horse that went 80-1 odds to a 1st place finish.

I'm struggling to understand how our educated fan base has become uneducated. But hey, i guess i was one until this year- though i always knew the odds weren'tgood after the first 3 yeara of dissaster. I've clinged as much as any. Met HCSF with my son and got autographs 3 years ago... we were the biggest fans. But I'm a scientist by profession and I've come to grips with the data. Would love to see this turn around, but if we ran a model on the probability of a 6 win season, the results would strongly suggest this is over and there's probably not a lot of error margin on it any more.

If anyone had bet against NU beating the spread every game for 5 years with about 1k, carring forward winnings as the next years bottom bet, they'd literally be millionaires. Looking forward to someone checking the math on that. I completely pulled it out of my a$$ but 60% of the time... it works every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News