ADVERTISEMENT

(Updated) OT: Kids in your 40s, Bodds family update

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Dear Facebook / who cares / etc,

I know there have been a couple threads, but I remember a few people on here had kids in their 40s.

So...wife is due next month with our 7th (first together, it's a girl...other kids are 24g, 21g, 18b, 15g, 14g, 10b), a girl and with the right amount of constant pressure and vicarious living from her Dad, I'm sure she'll be a Husker softball player as part of the 2041 class ;).

I am 44, my wife is 41. We are pretty active people and with 4 kids still at home (2 off in college) we stay pretty freaking busy. I'm crazy excited about it, but it also has been 14 years since I've had a new baby around, when I met my wife her youngest was about 18mo old (crazy how much has changed with the stuff that you can get now...video monitors weren't even a thing even back then).

So, to the older Dads on here...how's it going?

The short version of the story...we were super happy NOT having any more kids. One crazy night I had this really vivid dream that I got up to go to the bathroom and when I came back she was in bed super pregnant and I just was overcome with joy. Woke up and thought, "That was weird". Well for the next 4-5 days I couldn't think of anything else, so finally I shared with her my dream and she said she had a dream that night too, but this case the baby was here and we were in the living room in front of the fireplace playing with her.

We both prayed about it and decided maybe God is trying to tell us something...a week later we decided to try again. The more I thought about having another vs trekking towards retirement the more I came to realize my favorite thing in life is being a Dad. NOTHING beats it. My 18yr old is about to head off to college and I'm seriously going to miss having him around...just realized I'm not in any hurry to not have kids.

So, minor complication...I had a vasectomy 4-5 years back. Went to the doc to have everything tested and he calls me and says, "Well I do 3,000 of these a year and 1-2 of them just don't stick for whatever reason. You are one." Then he apologized and promised to fix it...I said, "Well...we actually don't want you to". Now it DEFINITELY feels like a God thing.

Fast forward...here we are. Just finished up a 6th bedroom in the basement for my 15yo and shuffling a couple kids around and new carpet in all the bedrooms coming tomorrow...and here we go again!!!! :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News