ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Memorial Stadium upgrades from A.D Troy Dannen

My great great great grandfather who first bought Husker tickets in 1812 will roll over in his grave now that I will have to pay what the guy next to me who started buying tickets only twenty years ago pays. šŸ¤£šŸ˜†šŸ˜šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:
Reactions: LBremser
My great great great grandfather who first bought Husker tickets in 1812 will roll over in his grave now that I will have to pay what the guy next to me who started buying tickets only twenty years ago pays. šŸ¤£šŸ˜†šŸ˜šŸ™ƒ
If you're going to exaggerate, at least pull out 1492 or a 1776.

guessing 1/4. depends on how many fat seats
I think it will be maybe about 10%. My suspicion is that the seats won't be much wider. It will just force fatties to squeeze in between the armrests. Twp seats taken out in my row would make a huge difference. I'm not sure how many seats are in a row in the lower bowl in west stadium but it seems like about 20 to me.

Reactions: saluno22
I think it will be maybe about 10%. My suspicion is that the seats won't be much wider. It will just force fatties to squeeze in between the armrests. Twp seats taken out in my row would make a huge difference. I'm not sure how many seats are in a row in the lower bowl in west stadium but it seems like about 20 to me.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My family had season tickets long before Devaney and we continued to support through all the recent bad years. The product better vastly improve or people will be looking at a half-full stadium.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
People only have so much money to give. Iā€™d rather it go in to the talent vs then how cool the south end of the stadium looks. Players and coaches win games and in todayā€™s world thatā€™s where the money should go. In todayā€™s day an age facilities take a back seat to cheddar. Wouldnā€™t it for you if you were 18-22? Iā€™d rather $100k+ then playing in a cooler stadium.

Dannen has won me over already way more then Trev business wise in getting this program going into the modern business of football. He said ā€œ1. First it has to help us win 2. does it get us talent and help retain it. ā€œ NIL is the game now. It just is. Open your mind to capitalism

And make note that Trev didnā€™t last much longer after Nebraska finally opened its check book to NIL. IMO Either Trev was on the take to make sure the university kept pouring concrete or heā€™s dumb or heā€™s anti-NIL. My gut tells me was on the take because he went someplace that doesnā€™t shy from NIL and he left his loved ā€œNebraskaā€ for more money.

ITS Jims and Joes not where your butt goes

I have season tickets in the south stadium, right over where the visiting team enters the field, (used to be where we entered the field) and even I agree with this. If weā€™re gonna spend the money, spend it on getting the team better and back to winning ways. Do that, and suddenly the pocket books will open up and we can potentially have both. But make a winning team 1st.

So how many seats will be lost by putting chair backseats in the East and West stadium?

15-18,000?

I like this new approach. Seems far more sane to me. South Stadium is indeed a pain in the ass. But for 30 years my dad had season tickets in south stadium and he and I went to every game from 1970-2000. And we were thrilled to be there and just made sure we quit drinking liquids a few hours before game time so we didnā€™t have to negotiate getting to the bathrooms. But here is the point: we were willing to put up with South Stadium just for the privilege of being at the game because the product on the field was worth watching.

Our beloved program has been unstable for 20 years or so and in the total shitter for the past 10. Letā€™s focus on winning games and improving the product on the field. And that means not pissing away hundreds of millions on better stadium amenities and encouraging donors to give that money to NIL instead. The focus should be on getting better athletes to NU rather than more comfortable crap for spoiled fans who wonā€™t come to a game if it isnā€™t as comfortable and convenient as their living room. F$ck them.

Good on the Chiefs fans for voting down tax financing for a new quadrillion dollar stadium. At some point we just need to say ā€œthe stadium is what it is. We will make moderate upgrades here and there but it is not going to be grandiose. So come to the games if you want. And if you donā€™t want, then fine. Stay the **** homeā€.

Get grass in memorial stadium right away. That is an athlete favorite thing as well. Then start winning again. How refreshing would that be?

The Kansas City Chiefs were not getting a new stadium. They were getting 800 million in enhancements to the current stadium and in the parking lot that were laughable at best.

The KC Royals new ballpark and Arrowhead enhancements were voted downā€¦not a new stadium for the Chiefs.

Last edited:
how many seats on east and west sides now? how wide are bench seats? how wide are new seats? how wide are the arm rests? do they fold up?

Reactions: scarletred
The Kansas City Chiefs were not getting a new stadium. They were getting 800 million in enhancements to the current stadium and in the parking lot that were laughable at best.

The KC Royals new ballpark and Arrowhead enhancements were voted downā€¦not a new stadium for the Chiefs.
Same point. Voted down massively expensive shit for the stadium

Last edited:
Does the foundation need to be dealt with as well? Adding that many seats is going to put loads of stress on that old building

I have a pair of season tickets in the west stadium (Sec 28/R18), I've had them for 30 years now. Much like the situation in Kansas City I would suggest that before we start demanding more money from donors we put a winning product on the field. NIL (yes I know it's the way of the world now) has almost destroyed my interest in college athletics. Why, when these kids are getting money in amounts that I don't (and can't) make in my job (that I've had for 35 years), should I be expected to fork out thousands of dollars for scholarships? They can pay for their own books and tuition as far as I'm concerned. I've said it before and I'll say it again I still control my checkbook and I have absolutely no problem saying no, and I won't be afraid to say no to DONU, you can keep the tickets.

i guarantee you the added seat backs will weigh less than the 2 fatties eliminated per row
I believe that in a row of 24 seats you will lose 4 seats making it a 20 seat row. That's a lot of seats lost when you start adding it up.

I have a pair of season tickets in the west stadium (Sec 28/R18), I've had them for 30 years now. Much like the situation in Kansas City I would suggest that before we start demanding more money from donors we put a winning product on the field. NIL (yes I know it's the way of the world now) has almost destroyed my interest in college athletics. Why, when these kids are getting money in amounts that I don't (and can't) make in my job (that I've had for 35 years), should I be expected to fork out thousands of dollars for scholarships? They can pay for their own books and tuition as far as I'm concerned. I've said it before and I'll say it again I still control my checkbook and I have absoltutely no problem saying no, and I won't be afraid to say no to DONU, you can keep the tickets.
We've had them on the cheap for a lot of years. Time to either pay up or watch from home. We've considered letting ours go for probably the past 10 years. It's gotten harder to find the time to make the drive down and back. It will be interesting to see what the proposals will be. I can't imagine that they'll be able to raise them all that much.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I believe that in a row of 24 seats you will lose 4 seats making it a 20 seat row. That's a lot of seats lost when you start adding it up.

Yes but they will make up for the lost revenue by getting rid of the seating licensing grandfather clause. Not saying they should get rid of it but it sounds like it is coming soon.

Yes but they will make up for the lost revenue by getting rid of the seating licensing grandfather clause. Not saying they should get rid of it but it sounds like it is coming soon.
Oh I agree that's definitely going away.

I have a pair of season tickets in the west stadium (Sec 28/R18), I've had them for 30 years now. Much like the situation in Kansas City I would suggest that before we start demanding more money from donors we put a winning product on the field. NIL (yes I know it's the way of the world now) has almost destroyed my interest in college athletics. Why, when these kids are getting money in amounts that I don't (and can't) make in my job (that I've had for 35 years), should I be expected to fork out thousands of dollars for scholarships? They can pay for their own books and tuition as far as I'm concerned. I've said it before and I'll say it again I still control my checkbook and I have absolutely no problem saying no, and I won't be afraid to say no to DONU, you can keep the tickets.
The good news is you're NOT grandfathered.

I agree. When we were sent survey a couple years ago, my response on many was other...put better product on the field and win. Game day experience isn't that important. I want to be excited about going to and coming home from Game rather then mundane and pissed

The immediate focus is now on the East and West Stadium and not the south end zone​

On Thursday, Dannen met with a small group of reporters to outline the plan. In short, the project is still happening, but the map to complete it will change.

ā€œThe project remains on track,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œHowever, the timing and the sequencing is going to be different than I think might have been projected earlier. Going forward, weā€™re going to really focus the architects on East and West Stadium. The rationale for that quite simply is East and West (Stadium) has the potential to monetize itself.
ā€œThe landscape of whatā€™s going on right now, the ability to generate money, Iā€™m going to have a pretty big spot on my budget for new money that needs to be generated. I think there was speculation that the south was coming down at the end of the ā€™24 season. That is not happening.ā€

However, ā€œThe south end zone project is still a part of the scope,ā€ he said.

None of the work, though, to the East and West stadiums will begin until after the 2025 football season. The plan is to have chair-back seating in the East and West stadiums and tie each seat to a licensing fee. The new premium East and West chair-backed seats would have access to several new in-stadium amenities.

That would also mean a stadium reseat would take place, and NUā€™s ticket grandfathering system, which went into effect in the 1990s, would end. Currently, a large chunk of Nebraskaā€™s season ticket holders are grandfathered into their original donation fee, while new ticket holders might pay thousands more annually for the same seats.

Previous stories on HuskerOnline have outlined Nebraskaā€™s grandfather ticket pricing, and our studies have found that no other stadium in the country has anything like it in terms of tens of thousands of ticket holders locked into sweetheart seat-donation prices from the 1990s.
ā€œIf the East and West project is going to generate money, itā€™s going to generate it from premium seat licenses for the privilege of accessing those seats, and the amenities that will go with those seats that are going to be different, new, and improved,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œThere will be a new price tag on every seat. If that is going to happen, it has to.

ā€œIf you ever have a reseat, you have to have at least a yearā€™s notice for your fans. In a perfect world, weā€™d be looking at something post-ā€™25 into ā€™26 before really anything tangible inside East and West can happen.ā€

Dannen continues to explore options with South Stadium​

As the focus moves to the East and West stadium for 2026, what can be done to improve and upgrade the south end zone?

The original plan called for a complete demolition, which would have forced around 23,000 ticket holders to miss at least the 2025 and 2026 seasons while it was rebuilt. Dannen wants to continue to explore options. There are no current plans to add chairback seating to the north end zone because the structure of the aisles wonā€™t allow it.
ā€œWhat I have not gotten into yet is understanding does South have to come down to rebuild South?ā€ Dannen said. ā€œDoes it have to come down all at once? Can it come down in phases? Is there another model of that if we have an extended period of time that the whole thing doesnā€™t come down, but pieces of it do, and we build around it, and we never really harm the capacity?ā€

Another point that both Dannen and head football coach Matt Rhule brought up is neither was too wild about creating a giant wind tunnel in South Stadium for two seasons with an open end zone that currently sits 98 rows high.

ā€œCoach and I joked, I think we understand why we were in the option for all those years, because of the wind tunnel effect,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œI think you really have to assess the impact on the competitiveness of the team and how we would play by the other impacts that would come if the south end zone sat empty for a season or a period of time.ā€

However, one thing you can expect to come to the south end zone is a new video board. Youā€™ll also see new and improved stadium WiFi by this season.
ā€œI do plan to go to the board to get a south end video board before the ā€™25 season,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œThe north boardā€™s old. Itā€™s beyond its useful life. Itā€™s still working but given where the seats are and everything else, it feels like the board needs to be in the south. Then, when we eventually build, we can build around it, or we can take it down, relocate it, and put it back in. Thatā€™s another big number that weā€™ve got to figure out whether it can happen or not. I hope when we start ā€™25, weā€™ll have a big board down there.ā€

Raising the money and the overall pricetag​

We donā€™t have answers to the overall projectā€™s price tag or money raised thus far.

Dannen did not have answers on either topic, mainly because several unknowns remain. A big one is the role of the third-party group Nebraska Philanthropic Trust.

The NU Board of Regents contracted the Omaha group led by Sue Morris for $5.5 million to spearhead fundraising efforts for the project over the top of Nebraskaā€™s in-house foundation and development offices.

ā€œThey still have the contract with the board,ā€ Dannen said of Nebraska Philanthropic Trust. ā€œIā€™m not sure at this point in time whether we will actively fund raise until we have a real project, until we have the drawings, until we know whatā€™s viable, until we know what the costs are, and frankly until we know what the other effects outside of the department, the other effects of the enterprise are going to have on our ability to either carry debt or have other expenses in the budget.
ā€œIā€™m not sure weā€™ll be doing a whole lot other than discussing the project versus actually asking because we just donā€™t have something right now to ask for other than support the concept.ā€

Thursday, Dannen also made it clear that there have been zero conversations about asking for public dollars for the stadium project.

ā€œI anticipate at some point in time, I will ask everybody for everything,ā€ Dannen said about raising money for the project. ā€œOnce we have a project, once we have a financial model that doesnā€™t compromise our ability to compete in the new world of college athletics. Really, if Iā€™m on the other side and I read all the antitrust settlement stories right now, before you come ask me for money, I need to know whatā€™s going to happen to the department.

ā€œI need to know how the college athletic department is going to run and function before Iā€™m going to financially support it. There are a lot of unanswered questions that I think our development folks would need to be prepared to answer before we get to that point.ā€

An on-campus hotel and entertainment district is no longer on the radar​

When Alberts first began planning for his initial $450 million stadium project, one of the places he looked at for inspiration was Wrigley Field.

Omaha native Tom Ricketts owns the Chicago Cubs. Since purchasing the Cubs, Ricketts has acquired nearly all the property around Wrigley Field to create an entertainment district and built a boutique Marriott hotel across the street from the ballpark.

Alberts had grand plans of doing something similar at Nebraska, attempting to find and create new revenue streams.

Dannen said creating Nebraskaā€™s own on-campus entertainment district is currently not on his radar.

ā€œItā€™s not on my personal radar right now. Iā€™m staying in Haymarket. I feel like weā€™ve got Wrigleyville two blocks away. Itā€™s an amazing area,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œNow, is there more to come? I will tell you my focus is right now on getting the stadium up to speed and if things come that are around it, there will be private people who want to invest. If they feel like thereā€™s a return, they will seek to invest around the stadium but Iā€™m not contemplating building an entertainment district and a hotel in order to get the stadium done.ā€

Also, donā€™t expect to see alcohol sales inside Memorial Stadium for the 2024 football season, although, ā€œThere will be a point in time in which Iā€™m sure that we will go to the board and ask for that consideration,ā€ Dannen said. ā€œCertainly not this year. When I was at the meeting where the board approved it for baseball, there was talk about a more comprehensive look at alcohol. We sell alcohol at all of the facilities that we do not own, in which Nebraska plays athletics. Not at the ones that we do own.

ā€œThe other comprehensive look will be for those events that are coming in, as we talk about how do we utilize the stadium and monetize the stadium beyond the seven Saturdays or whatever per year, alcohol will have to be sold in order for those events to take place. They wonā€™t come if you donā€™t. I think thereā€™ll be a broader analysis, not specific to football that needs to take place.ā€

a lot of good insights here on what was planned vs what is changing.. To me, this outlines a lot of why Trev left imo.

The stadium changes would have been Trevā€™s legacy.
He spent a lot of time and effort on it.
His bosses say we donā€™t want to divert donor money from DONU when state money is tight.
He goes to a place where money is never an issue.
DONU hires an AD who is more ā€œflexibleā€

Reactions: BrighteRed24

I agree. When we were sent survey a couple years ago, my response on many was other...put better product on the field and win. Game day experience isn't that important. I want to be excited about going to and coming home from Game rather then mundane and pissed
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but whether youā€™re grandfathered in or not you still had to pay some donor fees depending where your tickets are in the stadium.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but whether youā€™re grandfathered in or not you still had to pay some donor fees depending where your tickets are in the stadium.
No. There are some folks that don't pay any booster money. Those are folks that have had tickets prior to the 90s. There was a waiting list for years but just prior to our back to back championships, that waiting list essentially evaporated because we got a letter asking if we wanted additional tickets. Then win 2 NC and boom there's huge demand again.

When that happened, booster money for where our tickets in west stadium went up for our section for new ticket holders. Ours didn't because we were GRANDFATHERED. However my dad thought it only fair to pay the new booster level which has remained the same to this day. So technically I would say those tickets are NOT considered GRANDFATHERED since we're paying the going rate.

My question is how will they do a reseat? Based on priority points like they do the Seat Yourself process??

The stadium changes would have been Trevā€™s legacy.
He spent a lot of time and effort on it.
His bosses say we donā€™t want to divert donor money from DONU when state money is tight.
He goes to a place where money is never an issue.
DONU hires an AD who is more ā€œflexibleā€
His focus for his legacy should have been bringing Nebraska football back to a national power.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
So how many seats will be lost by putting chair backseats in the East and West stadium?

15-18,000?
Going from the fact that the original stadium had a capacity of 31,000 which included the current east and west stadium lower stands and second tiers (which the west second tier has already be converted to chairbacks).but lets just assume 31,000 seats would be converted to chairbacks while also assuming 4 seats would be lost for every 24 a reduction of approximately 17% which would equate to a loss of about 5,100 seats. Obviously it should be a little less than this, given the west second tier already has chairbacks.

Thanks, depending on how large they make the seats probably determines quantity of seats will be lost..

I would think a little more than 5,000.šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I answered the survey the same way, and added that Come Running Boys should be permanently banned. A lot of other people complained about the ear-splitting song too, which is why it got moved from high volume at the end of third quarter to lower volume at the end of first quarter.

But we should look at it another way so we can change with the times. Just think, if Trev's vision goes on as planned, if the product on the field continues to suck we can all hang out in the new Internet cafes in south stadium and look at our phones, then walk around the 360 degree concourse and hook up with all our friends in the communal watch rooms.

I answered the survey the same way, and added that Come Running Boys should be permanently banned. A lot of other people complained about the ear-splitting song too, which is why it got moved from high volume at the end of third quarter to lower volume at the end of first quarter.

But we should look at it another way so we can change with the times. Just think, if Trev's vision goes on as planned, if the product on the field continues to suck we can all hang out in the new Internet cafes in south stadium and look at our phones, then walk around the 360 degree concourse and hook up with all our friends in the communal watch rooms.
I happen to like ā€œCome a Running Boysā€

ā€œFor Nebraska and the scarlet For Nebraska and the cream ,thou they go through many battles our colors are still seenā€

Whatā€™s not to like about it, has history behind it.

I don't know what's not to like about it, other than it turns me off. Just personal preference I guess.

Sort of like I never thought much of Raquel Welch. What's not to like there? I always thought she was a woman with a smoking hot body, but marginal looks otherwise.

I happen to like ā€œCome a Running Boysā€

ā€œFor Nebraska and the scarlet For Nebraska and the cream ,thou they go through many battles our colors are still seenā€

I also like that song.

I do wish the ā€œSTAND UP AND SHOUTā€ would be permanently banned from all UNL facilities

I don't know what's not to like about it, other than it turns me off. Just personal preference I guess.

Sort of like I never thought much of Raquel Welch. What's not to like there? I always thought she was a woman with a smoking hot body, but marginal looks otherwise.
Nothing offensive, but I at times like to know how old people are ?

I would think the younger folk would luv this..

They should add a donation option to contribute towards getting rid of the "it's third down" nonsense. Makes me want to puke. Reminds me of Kstate.

• Love
Reactions: huskerfan66
They should add a donation option to contribute towards getting rid of the "it's third down" nonsense. Makes me want to puke. Reminds me of Kstate.
Ha- all the game day music and whole vibe needs to be worked on. Time to change it all imo.

Man...some of you seem like you hate going to the games.

The shit you guys notice and complain about is amazing Haha

When I go to a game it goes like this...

Get in, take a piss, get soda and fill it with booze.

Me and friends go to our seats, we watch the game.

Probably pour in more booze to our cups. Game ends, we go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT