ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 baseball players all time?

Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Pete Rose, Ted Williams and Roger Clemens. Save it with the Roids talk. Best ever is the best ever. Roids, amphetamines, corked bats, lower pitching mounds, etc…. These folks did what they did, in their era. Guys like Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, etc… are all part of the greatest stats hall of fame. Wish we could’ve seen them play.

Reactions: king_kong_
No Willie Mays? Come on, man!
Willie Mays Hays was better.
Wesley Snipes Dance GIF by Major League

I don't have him top 5, but I can see some putting him there. You obviously don't know his numbers, because they are pretty insane. Nobody will come come close to his stolen base record.
While I don’t put Henderson top 5, if you played 22 years and scored 100 runs each season, you’d still be short of Henderson by 95 runs.. insane

Babe Ruth is the greatest of all time. Not even a question in my opinion. Historians (and ESPN for what it's worth) agree as well.

Impossible to narrow it to 5! I can't really get invested in guys that didn't play in my lifetime, so I'd be more into listing guys in the last 25-30 years. Junior Griffey, Bonds, Jeter, Trout, Maddux, Big Unit, Pujols.... can't list A-Rod, just can't.
It is impossible. It’s that way in every sport because you have players playing in completely different times and competitions. Look at Lebron the way he cry’s to officials could you imagine him playing against the Bad boys of Detroit. They would have had him in tears. Who knows what his game would have been like.

Jesus f@ck people. Not one mention of Ricky Henderson yet?
Ricky was my favorite player growing up - but if people are going to withhold votes for Bonds and McGwire for a particular reason … Ricky was right in the thick of it with Jose and Mark in Oakland.

I always like to mention Bob Feller and Ted Williams in these discussions, because of their military service. Williams basically lost five seasons of baseball serving in both WWII and the Korean War. Feller lost three seasons during WWII, and they were right in his elite prime years. If you account for those lost seasons, the numbers these two put up are astounding.

Of course a lot of players served in the military back in the day, but Williams and Feller stand out among them.

I always like to mention Bob Feller and Ted Williams in these discussions, because of their military service. Williams basically lost five seasons of baseball serving in both WWII and the Korean War. Feller lost three seasons during WWII, and they were right in his elite prime years. If you account for those lost seasons, the numbers these two put up are astounding.

Of course a lot of players served in the military back in the day, but Williams and Feller stand out among them.
That era of pre and post WWII baseball is fascinating. If I had a time machine I'd go back and attend Williams' pro debut in 1939. It was at Yankees stadium and there were 12 current or future Hall of Famers there. 11 in the game and Babe Ruth watching. Williams batted .345 with 62 homers in 327 games vs the Yankees.

I suggested Pete Rose as potentially one.

I have Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose and Hank Aaron.

In no particular order.
A tough question. I'll go with these four position players and one pitcher:

Babe Ruth
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Walter Johnson

Honorable Mention:

Lou Gehrig
Ken Griffey Jr.
Ty Cobb
Barry Bonds
Greg Maddux

Why is babe Ruth in this? You all cry about the championships won by Yale and Minnesota from the 1940s and before that they don't matter, what makes the difference with him? He had a diet of whiskey and hot dogs, and had pitchers throwing 84MPH fastballs to him.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Why is babe Ruth in this? You all cry about the championships won by Yale and Minnesota from the 1940s and before that they don't matter, what makes the difference with him? He had a diet of whiskey and hot dogs, and had pitchers throwing 84MPH fastballs to him.
Seriously? He was the greatest fan draw in baseball history - by far - and revolutionized the game. He was the greatest player in baseball history and there should be absolutely no debate

• Haha
Reactions: RBigredMax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT