ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight reminded me why I don't watch boxing anymore

Floyd Mayweather doesn't understand that his style might win him fights but won't make him Muhammad Ali. Ali was a great defensive fighter with speed and elusiveness. But Ali would actually fight and that is why he is the greatest ever. I'll take Hagler, Herns and both Sugar's of Floyd.

I don't get where all the money comes from in this sport that is at this point very fringe outside of once every 2-5 years.

Bud Crawford would make this more fun...floyd will lose...they all do...his ego or bank account will lure him back

I've always had problems with any competitive sport that's subjective in scoring. Figure skating is another. Weird as it may sound, I actually like the routines skaters do. But as a sport, it's scored by a bunch of judges, such as boxing. And I hate winners and losers from subjectivity. If only there was a more clear cut way to score these kinds of things.

Floyd Mayweather doesn't understand that his style might win him fights but won't make him Muhammad Ali. Ali was a great defensive fighter with speed and elusiveness. But Ali would actually fight and that is why he is the greatest ever. I'll take Hagler, Herns and both Sugar's of Floyd.
That's Mayweather's style; chuck, duck, hit and run. He's not going to knock to many fighters out. He's just going to beat you by boring you to death by getting his punches in, then running away from ya. He's not an entertaining fighter.

That's Mayweather's style; chuck, duck, hit and run. He's not going to knock to many fighters out. He's just going to beat you by boring you to death by getting his punches in, then running away from ya. He's not an entertaining fighter.
It's the holding that he is allowed to get away with. He uses it as a defensive strategy cause the boxing officials allowed it when other fighters are deducted points.

I've always had problems with any competitive sport that's subjective in scoring. Figure skating is another. Weird as it may sound, I actually like the routines skaters do. But as a sport, it's scored by a bunch of judges, such as boxing. And I hate winners and losers from subjectivity. If only there was a more clear cut way to score these kinds of things.
It would be nice to see all championship bouts go until somebody got knocked out. No judges, just a referee.

I tip my hat to him for making Manny look like just another opponent

Bud Crawford would make this more fun...floyd will lose...they all do...his ego or bank account will lure him back

Sorry wulf, but Crawford also lays in the cut for most of the fight. The only reason Bud appeals to you is his Nebraska ties & that's okay. From a national perspective, he is also a boring technical fighter like Floyd(which is also, okay - just not for a mainstream audience.)

Sorry wulf, but Crawford also lays in the cut for most of the fight. The only reason Bud appeals to you is his Nebraska ties & that's okay. From a national perspective, he is also a boring technical fighter like Floyd(which is also, okay - just not for a mainstream audience.)
Well in Crawford's last three fights(that made him boxer of the year), I think he's had a KO, complete domination of Beltran, and TKO. Crawford puts guys on the mat, which is what we ultimately want to see. If Floyd was that type of fighter, we would be going nuts

Well in Crawford's last three fights(that made him boxer of the year), I think he's had a KO, complete domination of Beltran, and TKO. Crawford puts guys on the mat, which is what we ultimately want to see. If Floyd was that type of fighter, we would be going nuts

I agree, I'd rather watch Bud Crawford any day and that's why I didn't pay $100 for "the hug" fest. But there was $1.55 Billion (with a B) spent, so some fans did indeed "go nuts."

They should start deducting points or awarding extra points the the person who pushes the pace and Manny pushed the pace all night long.

zvfolTs.gif

shut down one of the greatest offensive fighters in the last 20 years.

Meh, that says more about the state of boxing than it does for either fighters strength.

You're right though, it isn't for everyone. Obviously it set records but from the sounds of it, the sport of boxing didn't help itself Saturday night.

It's not for everyone. However I can appreciate a phenomenal defensive performance which completely shut down one of the greatest offensive fighters in the last 20 years.

GBR!!!
Holding is illegal in boxing. And Mayweather is allowed to use this without being penalized.

It's not for everyone. However I can appreciate a phenomenal defensive performance which completely shut down one of the greatest offensive fighters in the last 20 years.

GBR!!!

Doesn't sound like this fight was well received by a lot of people, at all.

Last edited:
Holding is illegal in boxing. And Mayweather is allowed to use this without being penalized.

Actually, it is called clinching and yes it is technically against the rules and the ref can dock points due to excessive clinching but that rarely happens. There are countless examples of all time greats that use the clinch. Even the great Ali.

GBR!!

I hope this fight is the death of boxing. Terrible.

Boxing isn't going anywhere. Yes, it has declined in popularity since the 80's and early 90's but people will continue to pay big money to see two fighters slug it out in the ring whether you like their tactics or not.

GBR!!

I hope this fight is the death of boxing. Terrible.

Boxing is dead. I wouldn't call a fight like this that happens once every 10 years well after both are past their prime anything to brag about. Boxing freaking sucks and when Tyson walked out the door, so did most boxing fans.

There was a reason they sang the Mexican national anthem before the fight ...there is a huge latino fan base ....Tecate, Visit Mexico were huge sponsors as well...fight was also free in Mexico ...its not dead just shifting in focus

Wladimir Klitschko had a point deducted in his last title defense for holding. Make Mayweather follow the rules but i guess he makes too much money for Vegas for such things.

There are still a lot of good boxers and good fights going on in the boxing world. Boxing could do a better job of promoting those to the casual fan.

Floyd Mayweather took home $200 million dollars in one night and the mean ticket price was $4400...hard for me to say that boxing needs to promote better or is dead when there is that kind of money being paid out for an event. Sure, they're few and far between, but people lined up in droves to watch it.

Well yeah, one over-hyped mega-fight every once in a while, but I am talking about boxing outside of that. There are some good fights this weekend and next weekend as well. And pretty much all guaranteed to be more exciting than Pacquaio-Mayweather. But no hype or talk about it. Too many belts, too many promoters working against each other. Too many conflicts of interest. Too much confusion and not enough promotion for the rest of the field.

I'm watching it for the first time. Manny is not allowed to fight. Really a shame. Whenver Manny works his way in to the coward, he wraps Manny up. It's very boring. If the refs would take away from that behavior then he'd have to fight. In a word... LAME.

There was a really good interview with Brian Kenny last week on LeBatards show saying that the choice of ref had already decided the outcome....This particular ref has done several floyd fights and when the boxers clench up he immediately yells break instead of making them fight out of it like they are supposed to ...if you cant get in close to floyd you have the result we saw saturday add in a torn rotator cuff and two guys that should have fought 5 years ago and you get disappointment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT