ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Two Weeks Are The Season

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
Nebraska's postseason fate will likely be determined the next two weeks. Upcoming are 10 games, nine of which are against good teams with RPIs of 59 or better. A strong performance in this stretch will put the Huskers in prime position to host. Stumble and there won't be time or opportunity to make up for it.

The good news is that five games are at home. And two others are technically true road games (good for the RPI) but will be in front of pro-NU crowds versus Creighton in Omaha. The series at Iowa will be a challenge because the Hawkeyes appear to be really good this year. (I can't believe I just wrote that.)

This recipe should produce the desired result:

1. Beat UNO
2. Get four wins in the two series with Ohio State and Iowa (winning both series would be ideal)
3. Win two of the three games against Creighton and Kansas State

That would put the overall record at 33-14 with six games against two really bad teams and the finale at Illinois to get seven more wins to reach 40 in the regular season. Very manageable.

I agree, getting 2 of 3 in both of those weekend series is the defining point in my mind. Obviously you can't lose to UNO and in my opinion we really can't lose to KState this year. Creighton would be huge because we would get the extra points for playing them on the road but if we lose on it really wouldn't hurt us as much RPI wise. If Cox and AC can help out that bottom half of the lineup then we could realistically accomplish this.

Originally posted by RobsterMobster:

I agree, getting 2 of 3 in both of those weekend series is the defining point in my mind. Obviously you can't lose to UNO and in my opinion we really can't lose to KState this year. Creighton would be huge because we would get the extra points for playing them on the road but if we lose on it really wouldn't hurt us as much RPI wise. If Cox and AC can help out that bottom half of the lineup then we could realistically accomplish this.
Kudo's to Cox and I will be the first to admit.... since I was shocked when he hit a HR earlier this year... but I am dumbstruck right now on Cox hitting 2 HR's in the same game. Didnt think he would have another all year, and that was even before his AB's became limited. I hope he continues to hit well as we could surely use it, but Im not optimistic. AC has alwasy been that guy that just never seems to get enough of anything to get in a groove. Is he a pitcher, is he a positon player? Tough to do both and really find a groove. Appears to be better suited as a postion player given our depth and young talent on the pitching staff. Hope we let him focus there and provide a spark.

Not exactly sure what kinda team we have right now other than one that is going to battle and fight. Most were high after the Texas series, but realized we had some limitations as well. Everyone was low after Maryland, but to some degree EVERY team hits a low mark at some point in the season. Was a concerned after Game 1 this past weekend......you bet. Anything can happen yet but hosting will be tough. My guess is we are a #2 seed type team but we could go from hosting to not even making it in.

To not even make a regional at this point would be a colossal collapse. But I agree that the range of possibilities is still wide open. We could end up a three seed in somebody else's regional or a top eight national seed or anything in between.

I do agree that one thing we know is the team is full of fighters which is really all we can ask for.

Would be a huge disappointment not to get in….but a real possibility IMO. If we happen to stumble this weekend and lose the series I will be very nervous. This team hasn't played well on the road…..at all, and if we do just that at Iowa and Illinois it could get very concerning. I know many are talking this could be a 5 team bid league this year, but I will believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by bigredrl:

Would be a huge disappointment not to get in….but a real possibility IMO. If we happen to stumble this weekend and lose the series I will be very nervous. This team hasn't played well on the road…..at all, and if we do just that at Iowa and Illinois it could get very concerning. I know many are talking this could be a 5 team bid league this year, but I will believe it when I see it.
Of course it's a possibility because there's still too much of the season left to declare anybody in for sure at this point. But it would take a monumental collapse, like getting swept by Iowa and Illinois and losing series to Northwestern and/or Purdue to keep us out. I don't think there's any magic number of teams in the conference that can get in. If there's 4 deserving teams, then there's 4 deserving teams. If there's 5, then there's 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT