ADVERTISEMENT

The 25 best college teams since 1980 that didn't win national titles-1980 Nebraska is listed second

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
An interesting write-up of the best college teams since 1980 to not win a National Title. 1994 Penn State is listed as the first.

Interesting, 1980 Nebraska is listed as second. Interesting because the 1983 Offensive Explosion is nowhere on the list. Also interesting that the 1999 Husker team didn't make the list, even though most on here felt that Nebraska was the best team in the land by the end of the year. Kept out only due to an unfortunate loss earlier in the season by 4 to Texas. A loss that was avenged in the Big XII championship soundly.

What other teams are you surprised to see (or was left out)?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...lege-football-national-championships-SO-CLOSE

Somebody thought the 1980 season had some incredible football played, 4 of the top 15 are from that year, alone. Wow.

This writer doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't know anything about the 1980 team... I'm sure we had a great team... but it's pretty well accepted as fact that the 1983 team, the 1982 team, and the 1999 team were the best husker teams not to win a title. Some mid-80s teams were really good too, but couldn't quite beat Oklahoma. In fact, the 1996 team might have been the best in the country too if Terrell Farley doesn't get a DUI right before the Texas game (Ahman Green's turf toe didn't help). The 1996 and 1999 defenses were the two best defenses that I've seen... with 2009 not too far behind.

disclaimer: born in 1985... started going to games in 1992...

Scoring explosion team had a Dline that, while having a stellar aggregate GPA, was not fleet of foot. Bernie had all the time in the world to do his thing. The 99 squad was balanced and so dominant at the end of the year.

This writer doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't know anything about the 1980 team... I'm sure we had a great team... but it's pretty well accepted as fact that the 1983 team, the 1982 team, and the 1999 team were the best husker teams not to win a title. Some mid-80s teams were really good too, but couldn't quite beat Oklahoma. In fact, the 1996 team might have been the best in the country too if Terrell Farley doesn't get a DUI right before the Texas game (Ahman Green's turf toe didn't help). The 1996 and 1999 defenses were the two best defenses that I've seen... with 2009 not too far behind.

disclaimer: born in 1985... started going to games in 1992...

1985 or 86 was up there also with Doug Dubose. OU came into Lincoln in. 1 vs 2 I believe and beat us 17 - 7. Darn Sooners.

I would say the 82 team would be a top choice for me, helluva game at Penn State (back when Peen State fans actually treated you decent). The 1983 and 84 teams are right there as well. Can you imagine if the 83 team could have had the 84 defense? No loss to Miami, not even a close game. Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I think our 1999 team would've had a good shot to win it all had there been a playoff that year.

would be interesting to see a breakdown of GPA by season and by position group... that 1994 O-Line might take the cake

At about 46:35 in the link...

Rob Zatechka: Biological Sciences, 4.0
Joel Wilks: Business Administration, Grad
Aaron Graham: Animal Science, 3.3
Brendan Stai: Criminal Justice, Grad
Zach Wiegert: Economics, 2.7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT