ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday, May 1st Nebraska vs Iowa Game 2 (Huskers lose 5-3)

Husker Lineup:

1. Chick - CF
2. Anglim - RF
3. Everitt - C
4. Anderson - 1B
5. Banjoff - LF
6. Matthews - SS
7. Jackson - 2B
8. Swansen - DH
9. Cervantes - 3B

Iowa with a solo shot in the top of the 1st. Nebraska ties it in the bottom of the 1st on a hit n run throwing error from RF.

Nebraska loads the bases in the bottom of the 6th to bring home one run on a Jackson RBI walk and another on a Swanson fielders choice groundout to make it 3-3 heading into the 7th.

• Love
Reactions: schuele
Still 3-3 heading into the 9th. Bragg has pitched 4 scoreless innings so far with 5 K’s, no walks, and one hit as he heads out to pitch the 9th.

When you attempt to bunt and get hit by the pitch it's *supposed* to be a strike. B1G umps are jokes.

Welp. 5-3 Iowa after the ump gave them a 2 run spot heading into the bottom of the 9th.

When you attempt to bunt and get hit by the pitch it's *supposed* to be a strike. B1G umps are jokes.

When an ump comes at you right away like 1B did, it's 99% confirmed the ump screwed up. It's the same guy that had a controversial call Friday at 2B. However, I'm not convinced the hitter attempted as it looked to me he pulled back in time.

Reactions: icnu525
Chick singles to RF prior to an Iowa pitching change. Anglim K’s. Everitt Hits into DP and Iowa wins.

So close.

Honestly think we've turned a corner and should finish strong. Make it to Omaha, win a couple and let this sting all off-season. We don't have the pitching to go far in the B1G tournament.
We played good baseball all week, can't ask for much more. I'd love to see this club put on a show in Omaha and make a run. I know the standings don't look great right now but I still think it's more likely we are the 6 seed than miss out completely.

Reactions: Reditus
A Minnesota sweep however unlikely isn’t out of the realm of possibility as they are a pretty bad team.

I didn't see the play, I was at my son's baseball game.

But that's true if he offered (doesn't matter where the bat is, was he attempting to make contact). If he was trying to make contact and got hit, it's a strike. But if he just squared and got hit, HBP

I didn't see the play, I was at my son's baseball game.

But that's true if he offered (doesn't matter where the bat is, was he attempting to make contact). If he was trying to make contact and got hit, it's a strike. But if he just squared and got hit, HBP
From what I saw at the game he appeared to square to bunt, then tried to pull back but was still hanging over the plate when he got hit. Could he of been hit if he wasn’t bunting? It is possible, but he didn’t pull back and was over the plate still. Based on the current rules where you can’t lean in to get hit it should of went down as a strike. Again, this was my vantage point.

From what I saw at the game he appeared to square to bunt, then tried to pull back but was still hanging over the plate when he got hit. Could he of been hit if he wasn’t bunting? It is possible, but he didn’t pull back and was over the plate still. Based on the current rules where you can’t lean in to get hit it should of went down as a strike. Again, this was my vantage point.
Was it in the zone?

Was it in the zone?
It didn't seem like that bad of a pitch, but it did tail inside obviously. He pulled the bat back and had no chance to get out of the way when he dropped down to a knee. I've always thought HBPs on bunt plays look very awkward. It was probably the right call, but there's almost 0% chance he gets hit if he's in a normal batting stance.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
It didn't seem like that bad of a pitch, but it did tail inside obviously. He pulled the bat back and had no chance to get out of the way when he dropped down to a knee. I've always thought HBPs on bunt plays look very awkward. It was probably the right call, but there's almost 0% chance he gets hit if he's in a normal batting stance.

Yeah sounds like it was the correct call without seeing it. The only way it's a strike is if he made a real attempt at contact or if he was leaning over the zone.

Yeah sounds like it was the correct call without seeing it. The only way it's a strike is if he made a real attempt at contact or if he was leaning over the zone.
Just so I don't sound like a Big Ten umpire apologist, I would like to reiterate how bad the strike zone was (especially in that inning).

Reactions: sklarbodds
If Banjoff doesn't bunt straight back to the pitcher we score two runs that inning and take a 4-3 lead. That gets us the W. I know one play doesn't make the difference but we are not good at bunting and it has hurt us a lot this year.

If Banjoff doesn't bunt straight back to the pitcher we score two runs that inning and take a 4-3 lead. That gets us the W. I know one play doesn't make the difference but we are not good at bunting and it has hurt us a lot this year.
That and Efry just standing there watching a ball go straight up and land in fair territory. If he runs he is on 2nd and eventually scores. Instead he is tagged out standing in the batters box.

Reactions: sklarbodds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT