ADVERTISEMENT

Statistical comparison of Iowa and Nebraska

ReuniteGondwanaland

Blackshirt
Sep 8, 2010
Here's where both teams rank nationally.

No surprise, Iowa is ahead in most statistical measurements. Arguably we're a bit better on offense but their resume on defense is much better.

Biggest single difference, though, is turnover margin. Iowa is 7th nationally at +1.1 turnovers per game. Nebraska is #115 at -.8 turnovers per game. That stat holds and we're -2 in turnovers I don't see us winning.

I do think we're better now than our early season performances would suggest and I like our chances, but only if Tommy's on point and not throwing picks.

When in the history of NU have fumbles been so low and interceptions so hig?

Too bad it doesn't show conference games only but a very interesting website to be sure

When in the history of NU have fumbles been so low and interceptions so hig?

5 fumbles lost and 17 interceptions thrown, definitely not going to see numbers like that back when we ran the somewhat fumble-prone option offense and only occasionally threw the ball. Closest I see is 2004 when Joe Dailey and Beau Davis combined for 23 interceptions and we had 10 fumbles.

Iowa has thrown 3 interceptions on the season. Nebraska has two games so far this year when we haven't thrown an interception.

Last edited:
It is going to come down to the lines and which one plays with more passion and desire. Win the trenches and the skill positions NU has more talent, in my opinion but it is close.

Io_a can win this game if they play their style and Nebraska doesn't make them one dimensional passing.

The QB play is the next key. Whoever has less turnovers that team wins the game.

It is going to come down to the lines and which one plays with more passion and desire. Win the trenches and the skill positions NU has more talent, in my opinion but it is close.

Io_a can win this game if they play their style and Nebraska doesn't make them one dimensional passing.

The QB play is the next key. Whoever has less turnovers that team wins the game.

I 100% agree. I think if we are able to contain Beathard, and good Tommy comes to play we have a great shot. We are playing better D, and just need to shut down the run. It will be tough because Io_a is confident, but a nice little 2:30 game into the dusk.. Stadium is going to come alive and send those F#%$s into a tailspin. I want nothing better than to knock them off.

Per that site, the teams compare in the following manner in key stats:

Opponent Winning Percentage
Nebraska - 53.91%
Iowa - 48.79%

Stats that Favor Iowa
Scoring Margin
Total Defense
Turnover Margin
Time of Possession
Opponent Yards per Play
Pass Yards per Attempt
Pass Completion Pct.
Opponent Pass Yards per Attempt
Opponent Pass Completion Pct.
Opponent Pass TDs
Rush Yards per Attempt
Rush TDs
Opponent Rush Yards per Attempt
Opponent Rush TDs
Total First Downs
Third Down Conv. Pct.
Penalty Yards
Sacks
Opponent Redzone Points per Attempt
Opponent Redzone Scoring Pct.
Opponent Redzone TD Scoring Pct.
Kickoff Return Yards per Attempt
Punt Return Yards per Attempt
Opponent Punt Return Yards per Attempt
Field Goal Pct.

Stats that Favor Nebraska
Total Offense
Yards Per Play
Passing TDs
Opponent Third Down Conv. Pct.
Sacks Given Up
Redzone Points per Attempt
Redzone Scoring Pct.
Redzone TD Scoring Pct.
Opponent Kickoff Return Yards per Attempt
Punting Yards per Attempt

The site picks Iowa to win with a 62.54% confidence

Another stat that is kinda important... Nebraska is 5-6 and Iowa is 10-0.
I really don't think that stat has as much to do with it as you think. Especially at this stage of the game. If TA doesn't throw a pic, we're in it. Now that's a big IF, but it's a thought.

Reactions: unIowa
We are going to piss-pound the Huskers like the last time we were in Lincoln.

Try to start a post that's actually about football, and here comes Hawkeye fan taking a dump in the thread.

Yes, two years ago behind our walk-on #3 QB we went -3 in turnovers and despite outgaining the Hawkeyes, we lost fairly badly. If we go -3 in turnovers again, we'll very likely lose again.

We are going to piss-pound the Huskers like the last time we were in Lincoln.

Well last time you were in Lincoln it was a 21-14 game in the fourth quarter. Credit Iowa for making Nebraska pay for giving the Hawks good field position all day long.

This year's Iowa team is more closely related to last year's team than 2013's team. How'd that game turn out?

Try to start a post that's actually about football, and here comes Hawkeye fan taking a dump in the thread.

Yes, two years ago behind our walk-on #3 QB we went -3 in turnovers and despite outgaining the Hawkeyes, we lost fairly badly. If we go -3 in turnovers again, we'll very likely lose again.

And another one bites the dust. Not in the mood for them

This year's Iowa team is more closely related to last year than 2013? That isn't anywhere close to accurate. I think it ultimately comes down to one thing - can Nebraska stop Iowa's running game. I0-0 but the two closest games were Pitt and Wisconsin. Both those team contained Iowa's running game and made them win it in the air. In both of those games Iowa's defense made big plays that really were the difference.

I am nervous because I think Nebraska is pretty solid against the run. It may take a TA turnover to bring Iowa a win.

I said that because there are more players on this year's Iowa team that were on the 2014 team than were on the 2013 team.

Can I just say that our mods are the best? Seriously, between the political threads, Iowa butt heads, and raging Husker fans, you guys do a great job

Here's an underrated stat: Iowa is about to play their 11th game of the season. They have only played 3 of those 11 games outside the State of Iowa. They have also only played 1 team all season that averages at least 400 yards per game.

Reactions: steelclaw
Here's an underrated stat: Iowa is about to play their 11th game of the season. They have only played 3 of those 11 games outside the State of Iowa. They have also only played 1 team all season that averages at least 400 yards per game.

Good to know

Another stat that is kinda important... Nebraska is 5-6 and Iowa is 10-0.

Your stat would be much more important if both coaching staffs were at their school for a few years, but a team with a new coaching staff can be a completely different team by the end of the year vs the first part of the year. Especially when that team has had numerous injuries throughout the season, when the depth was already very thin.

soybean on Black Friday

CH42bFf.gif

I bet soybean doesn't even know he's a legume.

Sat was the longest day of football watching I have spent in a long time from 11 am to 12pm . I am burned out .All of us should tune this chatter out because it really has no effect on the score and neither fan base is going to convince the other of anything.

Here's where both teams rank nationally.

No surprise, Iowa is ahead in most statistical measurements. Arguably we're a bit better on offense but their resume on defense is much better.

Biggest single difference, though, is turnover margin. Iowa is 7th nationally at +1.1 turnovers per game. Nebraska is #115 at -.8 turnovers per game. That stat holds and we're -2 in turnovers I don't see us winning.

I do think we're better now than our early season performances would suggest and I like our chances, but only if Tommy's on point and not throwing picks.
We can slice this thing lots of ways, but I expect hard fought, B1G football, with the winner being determined in the trenches. Despite the record differences of the two teams, I know no Iowa fan that will come into Lincoln overconfident, and the Iowa players will also be focused and ready for a fight. First they have to take care of Purdue, which as you know, isn't a gimme.

Despite the unfortunate bounces Nebraska has had, everyone who's watched Nebraska knows this team plays a lot more like a 9-3 or 10-2 team than a 5-6 team. The first half Miami performance and 3.5 quarter Purdue performance are very much outliers in Nebraska's body of work in '15, and Black Friday promises to be well worth the price of admission.

Reactions: the_hermanator
As mentioned, the biggest stat is turnovers. Mostly INT's. If we keep turnovers to no more than 1, we have a good chance of winning. Bad TA shows up and it's curtains. Defense has to be stout against the run of course. I think turnovers will be the biggest determinant of who wins.

We can slice this thing lots of ways, but I expect hard fought, B1G football, with the winner being determined in the trenches. Despite the record differences of the two teams, I know no Iowa fan that will come into Lincoln overconfident, and the Iowa players will also be focused and ready for a fight. First they have to take care of Purdue, which as you know, isn't a gimme.

Despite the unfortunate bounces Nebraska has had, everyone who's watched Nebraska knows this team plays a lot more like a 9-3 or 10-2 team than a 5-6 team. The first half Miami performance and 3.5 quarter Purdue performance are very much outliers in Nebraska's body of work in '15, and Black Friday promises to be well worth the price of admission.

Disagree. Early on I thought NE was bad, REALLY bad, as their on-field playing just was way out of sync and sloppy...they were bad bad early on.

Lately they have looked much more like the 9-3, 10-2 team you suggest but it hasn't been until the last few games where that has happened. The big question is what NE team will show up as I am not sure what to expect out of this team, they could play great or they could get beat by 20+.

I expect Iowa to show up and be consistent. My guess is they put at least 30 points on the board but give up some points as well but if TA turns it over 2-3 times my guess is it gets ugly pretty fast. Iowa's offense is so much better than last season so NE can't afford to give them extra chances.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't know how many of even the most optimistic fans around here think we've played like a 10-2 team. Theoretically we're only a few plays away from 10-2 or 9-3 if we had gotten every single good break instead of nearly every bad break, but realistically we haven't been that good.

Sagarin's points-only "predictor" model says we're a little better than our record, and Iowa is worse than their record.

Iowa fan will vehemently disagree, but Sagarin's computer says that they've played like an 8-2 team that has played a somewhat weak schedule and gotten a bit lucky. And that we've played like a 7-4 team that's gotten a bit unlucky.

Same computer format says that, allowing a 3-point home field edge that Iowa should be expected to win by 3. It should be a good game.

One team learning compltely new schemes is going to have a ton more mistakes.

Disagree. Early on I thought NE was bad, REALLY bad, as their on-field playing just was way out of sync and sloppy...they were bad bad early on.

Lately they have looked much more like the 9-3, 10-2 team you suggest but it hasn't been until the last few games where that has happened. The big question is what NE team will show up as I am not sure what to expect out of this team, they could play great or they could get beat by 20+.

I expect Iowa to show up and be consistent. My guess is they put at least 30 points on the board but give up some points as well but if TA turns it over 2-3 times my guess is it gets ugly pretty fast. Iowa's offense is so much better than last season so NE can't afford to give them extra chances.
I think the last two weeks is the true Nebraska team. We finally got healthy and the players finally are grasping the schemes. I dont think thats a coincidence. I would eat my hat if we got blown out. I dont even see that as a remote possibility.

One team learning compltely new schemes is going to have a ton more mistakes.

I don't disagree and I don't disagree that it was the reason for NE look as bad/disorganized (whatever you want to call it) as they did early on. I was just stating that the first two games or so I saw of them I was like "wow that is bad football being played".

Per that site, the teams compare in the following manner in key stats:

Opponent Winning Percentage
Nebraska - 53.91%
Iowa - 48.79%

Stats that Favor Iowa
Scoring Margin
Total Defense
Turnover Margin
Time of Possession
Opponent Yards per Play
Pass Yards per Attempt
Pass Completion Pct.
Opponent Pass Yards per Attempt
Opponent Pass Completion Pct.
Opponent Pass TDs
Rush Yards per Attempt
Rush TDs
Opponent Rush Yards per Attempt
Opponent Rush TDs
Total First Downs
Third Down Conv. Pct.
Penalty Yards
Sacks
Opponent Redzone Points per Attempt
Opponent Redzone Scoring Pct.
Opponent Redzone TD Scoring Pct.
Kickoff Return Yards per Attempt
Punt Return Yards per Attempt
Opponent Punt Return Yards per Attempt
Field Goal Pct.

Stats that Favor Nebraska
Total Offense
Yards Per Play
Passing TDs
Opponent Third Down Conv. Pct.
Sacks Given Up
Redzone Points per Attempt
Redzone Scoring Pct.
Redzone TD Scoring Pct.
Opponent Kickoff Return Yards per Attempt
Punting Yards per Attempt

The site picks Iowa to win with a 62.54% confidence
Some of these stats are misleading, especially opponents winning percentage, Total offense, etc. Obviously when you look at the fact that Iowa has twice as many wins as Nebby it makes their opponents winning % lower, and total offense and passing stats are misleading because Iowa has only trailed for 12 plays total in the 2nd half which means they are not trying to pass up and down the field to come back and has no need for any major offensive plays because they are simply trying to run the clock out and get the W

Sat was the longest day of football watching I have spent in a long time from 11 am to 12pm . I am burned out .All of us should tune this chatter out because it really has no effect on the score and neither fan base is going to convince the other of anything.
Silly Iowan...doesn't realize that's only an hour of football.

Why in the world are all the other Iowa threads blocked for replys and responses? Is this site that regulated and does anybody else find that to be a problem...I have heard rumors about this site and its over regulation and instant banning and or limitations because of non pro Nebby comments....is this really how this site is run?

Reactions: ichawk24
  1. milehighhawkeye24
    Expand Collapse
    HR All-State

I am working on getting banned as we speak LOL
oblige%20him_zpsr6yjmthe.jpg

It is not difficult to do here, rumor has it if you post anything not drinking Nebby Kool-aid you get banned.....not going to post anything childish or anything, just facts and honesty.....as I said it is well known that these things are not allowed here

The fact is that nebby is not a good football team and/or program anymore, really Nebby is not good at anything anymore other than Volleyball......I do respect and appreciate the committed fan base, the history of the football and baseball program, but the key word here is history, meaning past accomplishments....and yes we are well aware that Nebby could very well win the game on next Friday and it helps that it is in Lincoln (respect for Memorial Stadium) and the fact that you have 2 weeks for prep and Iowa has a short week, not to mention all the pressure is on Iowa to win...what are you playing for??? A trip to Detroit? Of the 4 sports that any Iowan cares about (5 if you include Volleyball) Iowa is better at all 4 (not the volleyball) Baseball, football, basketball, and wrestling Iowa>Nebby

Well last time you were in Lincoln it was a 21-14 game in the fourth quarter. Credit Iowa for making Nebraska pay for giving the Hawks good field position all day long.

This year's Iowa team is more closely related to last year's team than 2013's team. How'd that game turn out?
Last time I checked Iowa is 10-0, Nebraska is 5-6. Iowa is No 5 in the Poll that counts and Nebraska did not receive a vote in either the AP or Coaches Poll. Throw in the weather forecast for the game and the Hawks win this game. I expect it to be a close. Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: LuckyNed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT