ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game Cliffs?

So if both our starting PK and punter continue to struggle over the last 9 months, when does the discussion move from criticism of the players to perhaps a closer look at the coaching they are receiving? Will there be improvements to the return game this year or will winning’ the 3rd phase just being content not fumbling both punts and kickoffs. Some on here like Foley because he’s visited every small town bar and grill, I’m still not sold if he’s up to the task at this level.
I agree. I’m not sold on Foley…

Raiola is the real deal but satterfield O will keep him in check and not use his abilities. He will look at transferring if Rhule won’t make a change at OC. Huskers will lose 2 games because of missed field goals and will rely on 65 yard fake field goals to end the year. Rhule takes them to a bowl game with a 7-5 record and interviews for a better job Texas tech. He stays at Nebraska after the governor texts him to stay. He signs a new 12 year contract worth 150 million and goes 3-9 in 2025. That’s my take on the spring game.
your brain is rotting

Sometimes the layman doesn't have the data to be justified in bagging on a placekicker. Did the center hesitate the snap throwing everything off? Did the holder angle the ball differently than in practice? Upon review the snaps and holds looked good to me. Doesn't just about every upper-tier FCS school have a kicker who makes all three of those kicks? And what about walk-on 4* kicker Nico Ottomanelli we recruited last year? After Alvano missed the first FG I was disappointed Nico didn't get a chance at the second FG attempt. It appears that kicker and punter are the only two positions on the entire team the staff is putting all their eggs in one basket. In Osborne's Spring Games there was always a red kicker and a white kicker.

It is real hard to get better by 3, this year's motto when you are leaving 6 off the board due to poor kicks during what should be automatic distances.
I don't remember, were Koch and the walk-on kicker early enrollees?

Watched while dodging snow and rain driving thru the mountains on a phone so I wasn't able to pay as close attention as those who watched from their barcoloungers but I thought DR exceeded expectations, we have a stud RB.....

..defense? No idea what to think but I bet we make a lot of defenses look silly this year.

Way pumped for the season.
Both EJ and Dowdell trucked DBs on runs. EJ looked very good IMO. He’s got some quicks and wiggle. I think they’re both going to be good this year. Ball security was good but the QBs didn’t get hit and would have at times if the D had been allowed to tackle them. There were some pass pro breakdowns that nobody has mentioned. Not surprising given how many youngsters played in front of the top 3 QBs.

I know I love our guys but at this point no way Alvano or Buschini should be eating up schollys. Get Koch in there ASAP.
They are like freakin high schoolers out there, and not good ones

I know I love our guys but at this point no way Alvano or Buschini should be eating up schollys. Get Koch in there ASAP.
They are like freakin high schoolers out there, and not good ones

What did Buschini do yesterday that makes you say that?

Reactions: scarletred
QB stats from the game; combined Red and White team's stats

DR 16-22-1 239 yds ( 15 yds/Rec), 2 TD's, 64 yds Long pass

HH 8-13-0 163 yds (13 yds/Rec), 2TD's, 61 yds Long pass

DK 9-16-1 91 yds (10 yds/Rec), 0 TD, 26 yds Long pass

DR with the most amount of attempts, tied for most interceptions, tied for the most TD's, +3 on longest pass
DK with the second amount of passes, tied for most interceptions, last in TD's, -37 yds for longest pass
HH with the least amount of attempts, last in interceptions, tied for the most TD's, -3 for longest pass

The second scrimmage has DR and HH with 99 yd TD drives.

I'm sorry, but I do not see DR's dominance. Is he leading? Who knows? People want to see what they want to see. This reminds me of AM2 and the orgasms he gave everyone. One has been in battle, one has not. In the beginning, I would start with the vet and let the pup get experience. Let the better man win on the field of battle.
It's weird that you are standing alone on this hill that DR didn't stand out more than HH. The reason behind your "numbers" that DR had more pass attempts than HH, is because he was able to sustain more drives than HH. HH had four more 3 and outs than Dylan and that's counting the very first possession of the game for HH. You know when it's easier to sustain a drive because the first few drives are scripted. The fact is DR is able to move the ball and keep our offense out there. Something HH couldn't do at all last year and yesterday. I would say you need to go back and really watch the game, instead of just analyzing the numbers.

I have another only somewhat pertinent post to make.

I have a Cliff's Notes 25th Anniversary paperweight in lucite. It contains an uncirculated 1958 quarter, the year Cliff's was founded. And a brief commemeration.

2.5 inches square and 1 inch thick. It is a cool piece of memorbilia from Lincoln.

Last edited:
QB stats from the game; combined Red and White team's stats

DR 16-22-1 239 yds ( 15 yds/Rec), 2 TD's, 64 yds Long pass

HH 8-13-0 163 yds (13 yds/Rec), 2TD's, 61 yds Long pass

DK 9-16-1 91 yds (10 yds/Rec), 0 TD, 26 yds Long pass

DR with the most amount of attempts, tied for most interceptions, tied for the most TD's, +3 on longest pass
DK with the second amount of passes, tied for most interceptions, last in TD's, -37 yds for longest pass
HH with the least amount of attempts, last in interceptions, tied for the most TD's, -3 for longest pass

The second scrimmage has DR and HH with 99 yd TD drives.

I'm sorry, but I do not see DR's dominance. Is he leading? Who knows? People want to see what they want to see. This reminds me of AM2 and the orgasms he gave everyone. One has been in battle, one has not. In the beginning, I would start with the vet and let the pup get experience. Let the better man win on the field of battle.
Both HH and DR will get game reps. There will be packages for both at the beginning of the year. It's great we have a really favorable schedule for the first 6 outings. By that time in the season someone will be established as the Number 1, but it think it was that clear cut now. HH was as calm and accurate as DR. For a freshman that was impressive, but HH handled it all really well also.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska

I have a Cliff's Notes 25th Anniversary paperweight in lucite. It contains an uncirculated 1958 quarter, the year Cliff's was founded. And a brief commemeration.

2.5 inches square and 1 inch thick. It is a cool piece of memorbilia from Lincoln.
I was more into Cliff's Lounge than his Notes. Both were Lincoln staples.

Want to sell it?

• Love
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Want to sell it?
I changed my avatar pic to it .
It is pretty cool.

My brother wrote for Daily Nebraskan at that time, and that is where it came from.

He was invited to the party.

I used Cliff's Notes regurlary from 16 on.
Not sure if good or bad. In many ways they helped me understand what I was tasked to read.

What did Buschini do yesterday that makes you say that?
Not based on yesterday but last season. I mean, with players making all the bucks and free education etc now I think it’s fair game. He’s mediocre at best and should not have a scholly. Frankly, he may not officially, hard to tell in this NIL world now but if he is he needs to give it up to someone else. JMO
And yes, I am one of the guys paying these players through 1890.

Reactions: king_kong_
Louisiana Tech's kicker is in the portal. He's 54-of-68 in his career.
Season 21 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
It's weird that you are standing alone on this hill that DR didn't stand out more than HH. The reason behind your "numbers" that DR had more pass attempts than HH, is because he was able to sustain more drives than HH. HH had four more 3 and outs than Dylan and that's counting the very first possession of the game for HH. You know when it's easier to sustain a drive because the first few drives are scripted. The fact is DR is able to move the ball and keep our offense out there. Something HH couldn't do at all last year and yesterday. I would say you need to go back and really watch the game, instead of just analyzing the numbers.

To add to your good point, DR also passed the eye test. He made a couple throws we haven’t seen made in a long time. His INT hit the WR square in the hands. While it could have been a better ball (his words), it was very catchable.

DR also didn’t have any huge head scratching, scream at the tv decisions. He checked the ball down. He threw it away. And he threw it out of danger. That in itself is something we haven’t had in forever.

Didnt watch Alvano play high school football...was he good? Highly rated? Did he get a scholly based on one game??? The championship, and one kick? I honestly don't know...but he's not good now.

...I hope a good kicker decides to screw over his current team and quit, to join ours soon.
Tristan Alvano - per Huskers.com

Tristan Alvano was a record-breaking kicker for Omaha Westside High School. He set state all-class records for most field goals in a game and in a season, while his 27 career field goals were the most in Class A history.

Alvano made 16 field goals as a senior, the most in a season in the history of Nebraska high school football, regardless of class. He kicked five field goals, including a 50-yarder and a 45-yard game-winner as time expired in Westside’s state championship victory over Gretna. His five field goals were the most in any state playoff game in Nebraska history and tied for the most field goals in any high school game in state history. Alvano scored 118 points in his senior season, the most points by a kicker in state history. As a junior, he was 11-of-14 on field goals, including a pair of 49-yarders in the state semifinals. Alvano was named a second-team junior All-American by MaxPreps.

According to MaxPreps, Alvano was also 119-of-120 in his career on extra points. He scored 200 points in his two seasons as the Warriors’ kicker. He handled kickoff duties for Westside for three seasons, booting 141 touchbacks in 225 attempts, including 73 as a senior. Alvano was named to the Omaha World-Herald All-Nebraska first team as both a junior and senior. He also earned a spot on the Lincoln Journal Star Super-State first team both seasons. Alvano also played soccer at Westside, which finished as the Class A state runner-up in his junior season.

Alvano was rated as a five-star prospect by Kohl’s Kicking, which ranked him as the nation's No. 5 kicker. He also had scholarship offers from Air Force, Army, Boston College and North Dakota State.

To add to your good point, DR also passed the eye test. He made a couple throws we haven’t seen made in a long time. His INT hit the WR square in the hands. While it could have been a better ball (his words), it was very catchable.

DR also didn’t have any huge head scratching, scream at the tv decisions. He checked the ball down. He threw it away. And he threw it out of danger. That in itself is something we haven’t had in forever.
Almost like DR is a real quarterback

Raiola is at a different level than everyone else. It was quite apparent for anyone (outside of HuskerOH) watching the game. It was weird watching what looked to be a pro QB under center. He was calm, confident and in control. My Aggie friend commented after Dylan threw it high at the back of the end zone. He said, Raiola looked like a pro QB there. Like it was no big deal on that incomplete. He would just make that play on the next snap. HH will make a serviceable backup, allowing DK to redshirt. That one INT by Raiola was slightly behind the receiver, but still catchable.

Plenty of mistakes and things to work on like penalties, drops, D giving up plays, poor special teams, etc. But overall body of work looked solid enough.
Hard to gauge too much from this type of scrimmage.
Hope the team stays focused on excelling all offseason.

Did Banks play yesterday ? Don’t remember seeing him.

I know Rhule has been conservative with scrimmaging guys who he already knows what they can do so maybe Banks is in that group.

There was so much changing of jerseys that it was hard to tell who the 1’s were. At one time every player on the field had a white / Gray jersey other than the receivers had red and QB had green.

Then there was the punt return where the returner thought he got tackled by his own teammate. Hard to tell when they are all wearing the same color.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT