ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game Cliffs?

WHCSC

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 4, 2002
I couldn’t watch the game and don’t want to sort though pages of real time commentary or read reporters drivel. Can someone give me some good/not so good about what they saw?

man prevails GIF

Watched while dodging snow and rain driving thru the mountains on a phone so I wasn't able to pay as close attention as those who watched from their barcoloungers but I thought DR exceeded expectations, we have a stud RB.....

..defense? No idea what to think but I bet we make a lot of defenses look silly this year.

Way pumped for the season.

Defense played vanilla but tackled well.

Dylan didn’t disappoint played at a high level with confidence and was clearly the best QB passing for 239 yards and two TD’s and a two point conversion ..

HH had some nice passes and has improved over the spring.

Was really impressed with Jacory Barney and Jaylen Lloyd speed and quickness.
Noyor and Banks will give this offense some more weapons on offense more than what we had last season.

Dante Dowell looks like a tough runner inside and Emmit Johnson looks like the #1 RB but they they ran the ball sparingly rushing 151 yards on 28 Carry’s…

Didnt watch Alvano play high school football...was he good? Highly rated? Did he get a scholly based on one game??? The championship, and one kick? I honestly don't know...but he's not good now.

...I hope a good kicker decides to screw over his current team and quit, to join ours soon.

DR looked to be clear cut #1. Literally made several throws we haven’t seen in years. The two point conversion throw was beautiful. He has a stellar deep ball. And the best part, he didn’t seem to throw any ‘what were you thinking?!?!?’ balls that we are accustomed to.

HH looked improved and will be a solid backup. But still clearly under DR.

DK looked alright. Looks like a kid who should be at prom, which is what he is. But a good upside and the red shirt will do him good.

RBs look alright. Not stellar. Dowdell will be in the mix.

WRs have a lot of material. Will take a big step forward in talent and having a pass first QB will help. The two transfers look good. Bonner looked good at WR. Big and talented.

TEs, same cast of characters as last year. Should be solid.

Defense was without a ton of the studs. But tackled well.

Negatives- two injuries. Bly Hill and D Bell. Both knees. Seems like we have had a bunch of knee injuries under the new staff. Makes you wonder if there is a change in S&C that could help with that.

QB stats from the game; combined Red and White team's stats

DR 16-22-1 239 yds ( 15 yds/Rec), 2 TD's, 64 yds Long pass

HH 8-13-0 163 yds (13 yds/Rec), 2TD's, 61 yds Long pass

DK 9-16-1 91 yds (10 yds/Rec), 0 TD, 26 yds Long pass

DR with the most amount of attempts, tied for most interceptions, tied for the most TD's, +3 on longest pass
DK with the second amount of passes, tied for most interceptions, last in TD's, -37 yds for longest pass
HH with the least amount of attempts, last in interceptions, tied for the most TD's, -3 for longest pass

The second scrimmage has DR and HH with 99 yd TD drives.

I'm sorry, but I do not see DR's dominance. Is he leading? Who knows? People want to see what they want to see. This reminds me of AM2 and the orgasms he gave everyone. One has been in battle, one has not. In the beginning, I would start with the vet and let the pup get experience. Let the better man win on the field of battle.

Yep. So was Buschini
So if both our starting PK and punter continue to struggle over the last 9 months, when does the discussion move from criticism of the players to perhaps a closer look at the coaching they are receiving? Will there be improvements to the return game this year or will winning’ the 3rd phase just being content not fumbling both punts and kickoffs. Some on here like Foley because he’s visited every small town bar and grill, I’m still not sold if he’s up to the task at this level.

Reactions: huskerj12
Barney stood out the most to me. I already knew DR to Lloyd would be money. Also knew Barney would be good. Just didn't know if he would need a little time to add weight and get accustomed to wr. He played multiple positions in high school because of his athleticism. Kudos to Rhule and staff on the south Florida recruiting.

DR with the most amount of attempts, tied for most interceptions, tied for the most TD's, +3 on longest pass
DK with the second amount of passes, tied for most interceptions, last in TD's, -37 yds for longest pass
HH with the least amount of attempts, last in interceptions, tied for the most TD's, -3 for longest pass

I'm sorry, but I do not see DR's dominance. Is he leading? Who knows? People want to see what they want to see. This reminds me of AM2 and the orgasms he gave everyone. One has been in battle, one has not. In the beginning, I would start with the vet and let the pup get experience. Let the better man win on the field of battle.
I don't care about stats in a spring game. I get the apprehension because we've all been hurt before but look at the throws he was making. Going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses when he sidesteps pressure and guys like Lloyd are 40 yards downfield.

I agree, some are seeing what they want to see....🤣

Alvano was a mess
Sometimes the layman doesn't have the data to be justified in bagging on a placekicker. Did the center hesitate the snap throwing everything off? Did the holder angle the ball differently than in practice? Upon review the snaps and holds looked good to me. Doesn't just about every upper-tier FCS school have a kicker who makes all three of those kicks? And what about walk-on 4* kicker Nico Ottomanelli we recruited last year? After Alvano missed the first FG I was disappointed Nico didn't get a chance at the second FG attempt. It appears that kicker and punter are the only two positions on the entire team the staff is putting all their eggs in one basket. In Osborne's Spring Games there was always a red kicker and a white kicker.

It is real hard to get better by 3, this year's motto when you are leaving 6 off the board due to poor kicks during what should be automatic distances.

Thought DR looks the best, especially on the quick outs and dump offs, hets the ball out fast and in position. However, it’s a different mind set for a qb knowing you can’t and won’t be hit. Thought HH looked good as well and wouldn’t have an issue with him starting day one

Reactions: SickOfPractice
I agree, some are seeing what they want to see....🤣
It's not easy going against the majority, but someone has to do it. HH won more games in one season last year, with a $hitty coaching situation, than any other quarterback did in four years previous. Until DR is under live fire against capable competition, I will not tag him as the next royalty to come along. Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a great game plan until you get punched in the face!" No punches have been thrown at DR.

It's not easy going against the majority, but someone has to do it. HH won more games in one season last year, with a $hitty coaching situation, than any other quarterback did in four years previous. Until DR is under live fire against capable competition, I will not tag him as the next royalty to come along. Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a great game plan until you get punched in the face!" No punches have been thrown at DR.
HH looked MUCH better than last year. But the fact that DR outshined him and technically should be going to prom right now is impressive.

I'm not going to get worked up about it one way or another in April. It's entirely reasonable for the majority of fans to assume DR is #1. They may end up being wrong but I wouldn't bet on it. Rhule and co. will go out of their way to not anoint anyone until fall camp. Me? I'm glad HH is a gamer that has not thrown in the towel. We need him. I'm willing to relax for now and let Rhule decide who plays.

I know college is a different level than HS, but you act as if he’s never faced capable competition. What has he been facing in 15 spring practices? Did the defense never dial up a blitz in spring practice? Was there never any pressure he faced this spring?

On the strength of what we saw yesterday, can you admit he makes throws no one else on the team can? Of course we need to see if he can do it in real game circumstances, but practice is where the coaches determine who the best guy is, at least until the games are played. Could he be Jeff Sims reincarnated? Sure. But not likely.

Just loosen the sphincter a bit and enjoy what you saw yesterday.

I couldn’t watch the game and don’t want to sort though pages of real time commentary or read reporters drivel. Can someone give me some good/not so good about what they saw?
1. DR. QB1. No doubt. HH. 2. DK redshirt. Rhule may bring in portal QB.
2. Jacory Barney is electric. Ferrari Lloyd speed. Top Kick returner. As long as his own kicker doesn't tackle him. Serious speed at WR with top guys. Malachi needs to get healthy. Banks and Neyor will play.
3. D. Dowdell had a burst. Keep improving.
4. O line looked solid without top guys.
5. Defense will be good again.
6. Kicking game needs work.
7. Bell and Blye were injured. Blye may be back in 2 months. Bells probably season ending. Sucks..
8. TEs looked good. Ian Flynt had a catch.
9. Young WRs looked good. Daevon Hall and Keelan Smith.
10. Iowa sucks. Fvck Colorado. GBR!!

Last edited:

AM was never even close to what DR has shown. We hoped he would do better after his shoulder surgery and he had some flashes, but not even close to DR.

Reactions: huskerj12
With one of our best defenses in years against some of our weakest opponents last year.

I'm not going to get worked up about it one way or another in April. It's entirely reasonable for the majority of fans to assume DR is #1. They may end up being wrong but I wouldn't bet on it. Rhule and co. will go out of their way to not anoint anyone until fall camp. Me? I'm glad HH is a gamer that has not thrown in the towel. We need him. I'm willing to relax for now and let Rhule decide who plays.
I’m perfectly fine letting them 3 battle it out in fall camp as it should be.
Also confident that Dylan will be the starter sooner than later, he has the it factor.
It’s nice to see that Haarberg is improving and can be adequate backup to Dylan while Daniel Kaelin redshirts.

1. DR. QB1. No doubt. HH. 2. DK redshirt. Rhule may bring in portal QB.
2. Jacory Barney is electric. Ferrari Lloyd speed. Top Kick returner. As long as his own kicker doesn't tackle him. Serious speed at WR with top guys. Malachi needs to get healthy.
3. D. Dowdell had a burst. Keep improving.
4. O line looked solid without top guys.
5. Defense will be good again.
6. Kicking game needs work.
7. Bell and Blye were injured. Blye may be back in 2 months. Bells probably season ending. Sucks..
8. TEs looked good. Ian Flynt had a catch.
9. Young WRs looked good. Daevon Hall and Keelan Smith.
10. Iowa sucks. Fvck Colorado. GBR!!

Accurate

On a side note, the bad/shanked punt was Hohl and not Buschini

FWIW, the first thing I noticed when Hohl had the poor punt was he angled the ball downward, as if the plan was to place a punt rather than trying to kick it as far as he could. Seemed weird because of the field position as usually that is done to down a punt inside the 10.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Ya, it isn't so much that he was 1-3 in the wind, but that he missed them BAD...not the wind, but BAD kicks and his PATs were low drives that would be easier blocks in season
ST - Barney going to play- might be a great return man.

Punt/kick game did not give me much confidence. Maybe the look for another kicker in portal?

They held multiple guys out plus the injured players who will have big roles obviously didn’t play. Mixed and matched OL and Defense- lots of reps for those who did play. It was a showcase for O and QB play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT