ADVERTISEMENT

Should Harper Murray be dismissed from the team?

• Total voters
Texas, Wisconsin, Oregon, Penn State and any number of other schools will gladly give her a chance. They're just hoping Cook throws her off the team for stealing $50 worth of crap from Scheels.
she also got a DUI less than a month ago.

Why does the Volleyball coach have to punish her? Let the criminal justice system do its job. The University will have something to say as well, she doesn't need the Volleyball coach punishing her for stuff done on her own time, there are other authorities that will. She obviously needs some help with her decision making, hope Cook puts her in contact with some folks that can help, maybe she takes a redshirt year to get herself sorted out.

So in answer to the OP, hell no I wouldn't kick her off the team.
The legal system will give her some punishment. But you also have to have individual team punishment . I don’t think JC will or should dismiss her from the team.

True, but every team in the nation with at least one open scholarship would be lining up to give her a second chance.
I am sure they would. But the shoplifting wouldn’t be the only reason as you suggested in your post.

This is simple. It is not our decision to make. Cook has to do what is best for the team and for Harper. It is his decision and nobody else knows the situation better than Cook most likely! Our opinions should not matter at all! Cook, the team and Murray have to handle this. There is not doing what is right for the fans or the public here!

This is simple. It is not our decision to make. Cook has to do what is best for the team and for Harper. It is his decision and nobody else knows the situation better than Cook most likely! Our opinions should not matter at all! Cook, the team and Murray have to handle this. There is not doing what is right for the fans or the public here!
Okay! Thank you for your thoughts! Have a great Sunday afternoon!

• Haha
Reactions: V-Doub
Only under the auspices of the court of law as administrated by the government. The court of public opinion and the court of what an organization is willing to be associated with are quite different, and don’t have the same protections.
And that's what's wrong with the "court of public opinion"

Reactions: libbity bibbity
No shit. Of course it’s not our decision. This is a message board it’s all opinions on here.

Sorry you disagree with my opinion. Opinions were solicited and I gave mine. It is really that simple. And it is MY OPINION our opinions do not and should not matter at all! Again it is that simple!

Sorry you disagree with my opinion. Opinions were solicited and I gave mine. It is really that simple. And it is MY OPINION our opinions do not and should not matter at all! Again it is that simple!

Our opinions shouldn’t matter John Cook, the person making the decision, or to Harper Murray. But we can still talk about it and voice what we think should (or will) be done. I don’t think anyone here was under the impression that their post(s) had any influence on the matter. I guess I don’t get the point of your rant? Are we not allowed to talk about if we (our opinions specifically) don’t have direct influence on the situation?

I expressed my opinion. All others are more than welcome as far as I am concerned to express their's. Nowhere did I say they should not. I offered my opinion. It was my OPINION that only Cook's opinion matters. Feel free to tell me I am right, wrong, full of crap! Oh wait I already said that and you called me out for it! HMMMM So whose opinion does matter in your opinion?

In the past the legal system would often go easy on the star athlete and let the coach discipline. Now that players can just go to another school the coaches don't have much power. The legal system needs to not go easy going forward.

I expressed my opinion. All others are more than welcome as far as I am concerned to express their's. Nowhere did I say they should not. I offered my opinion. It was my OPINION that only Cook's opinion matters. Feel free to tell me I am right, wrong, full of crap! Oh wait I already said that and you called me out for it! HMMMM So whose opinion does matter in your opinion?
Nobody is arguing that point with you. Of course Cook is the only one that matters.

If she is not gone after all this then what her is punishment? Suspension and no Playing time? Won’t she just transfer if that happens?

If she is not gone after this, the first thing we should do is bring our tight ends coach back.

Reactions: Dylman
I am sure they would. But the shoplifting wouldn’t be the only reason as you suggested in your post.
I was fully aware of her DUI and I would think that most people are. I do not think that either issue or the combination of both is enough to toss her off the team. And Texas, Wisconsin and everyone else that would take her in a heartbeat would agree. I would rather that the program and university rallies around her and gets her the support she needs.

I was fully aware of her DUI and I would think that most people are. I do not think that either issue or the combination of both is enough to toss her off the team. And Texas, Wisconsin and everyone else that would take her in a heartbeat would agree. I would rather that the program and university rallies around her and gets her the support she needs.
I would agree with you on dismissal from the team . But you said in your post there should be no volleyball punishment just the court punishment. This is where I respectfully disagree with you there has to be some volleyball punishment involved. The university can support her and help her get what she needs and discipline her at the same time.

Reactions: Dylman
I would agree with you on dismissal from the team . But you said in your post there should be no volleyball punishment just the court punishment. This is where I respectfully disagree with you there has to be some volleyball punishment involved. The university can support her and help her get what she needs and discipline her at the same time.
I think we are in agreement. I didn't mean to say or imply that there should not be any consequences for her behavior. I was talking in reference to people who are speculating or calling for her to be thrown off the team. Having said all that, if the University comes down too hard on her or for any other reason, she may just decide to transfer and get a fresh start. And then all of this time speculating and debating on this board will be more time wasted.

I think we are in agreement. I didn't mean to say or imply that there should not be any consequences for her behavior. I was talking in reference to people who are speculating or calling for her to be thrown off the team. Having said all that, if the University comes down too hard on her or for any other reason, she may just decide to transfer and get a fresh start. And then all of this time speculating and debating on this board will be more time wasted.
To you point on her possibly leaving. This is where Cook and all coaches in every sport are in a corner. But this is what happens when you give 18-20 year olds all the power ( unlimited transfer portal). When you let the patients run the hospital it will never work out in the long run.

To you point on her possibly leaving. This is where Cook and all coaches in every sport are in a corner. But this is what happens when you give 18-20 year olds all the power ( unlimited transfer portal). When you let the patients run the hospital it will never work out in the long run.
She doesn’t have all the power. If he goes easy on her, the power shifts among the other players. They have an innate sense of fairness and responsibility to their teammates. Harper is letting them down big time with her immaturity.

it sucks to lose top recruits and players, but it is for the greater good, especially at Nebraska volleyball, where it’s a privilege to be on that team. She won’t be holding anyone hostage. I’m sure they’ll help her pack if that’s what it comes down to.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
As I stated in the other thread, I don't think this will be Cook's decision to make. That will be the AD. Otherwise you have standards all over the place depending on the coaching staff. Some reasons why she could possibly be dismissed - notice I said possibly.

1. She had previous DUI and was given warning or whatever you want to call it
2. Can her coach trust her?
3. Can her teammates trust her?
4. What does this do to the locker room unity?

Personally I don't care how good she is or how good looking she is which seems to be brought up often on here. There is a standard within the University and the program and I don't claim to know exactly what it is. Somewhere you draw the line and the AD knows where that is at.

They have her on video putting the rings in her pocket and the outside the store putting the rings on.
Is every ring priced the same? Can they see exactly how many she took?

I would think it would be very hard to distinguish rings from a video to know exactly what was taken.

I would think it would be very hard to distinguish rings from a video to know exactly what was taken.
I assume they know exactly what she took as soon as they approached her and recovered the stolen merchandise.

At least, I assume that happened…

They can probably figure it out inventory. You are literally trying to convince yourself that she didn’t do anything wrong.

Reactions: V-Doub and Dylman
They can probably figure it out inventory. You are literally trying to convince yourself that she didn’t do anything wrong.
Or they took her back to the office and said empty your pockets sweetheart, and out came three cheap pieces of costume jewelry. Way to piss away your career for some junk trinkets

No. No, No, No. Why? Because of two mistakes. Who hasn't made two dozen mistakes when they were 19 years old??!!??

What message shall we send? Make a mistake and they're will be no forgiveness or attempt to make amends?

Seems like this is an opportunity to teach, invest in a young adult instead of casting away.

No! no, no no.

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. There was a question about the value. If they didn't stop her and recover the items, how would they know exactly what she took? I wasn't inferring that you couldn't deduce she took something from the video.

I assume the store wasn't so vindictive that they would have detained her, recovered the items, called police, and then decided to plaster it on social media and instead, she drove off with the items and this was an attempt to catch her.

Reactions: 1NebrFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT