ADVERTISEMENT

Rough year for Osborne hires

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
Pelini gets fired while embarrassing himself once again. Miles goes 5-13 in the Big Ten with a disaster of a season. Erstad currently has his team 6-7 in the Big Ten and went from hosting talks to talks about just making a regional.

Yeah baseball left another one there today. Anytime you leave 11 on you're missing major opportunity. I suspect they lose yet another series after the texass sweep.

Miles; I am sure there are those that know. It seems like bb recruiting is sure madness; maybe getting crazier than college baseball. How do you count on having a roster? New fad of $'s overseas ( and party ); will probably only grow. I suppose we may need to require agents for recruits; it may help them stay in school.

Pelini gets fired while embarrassing himself once again. Miles goes 5-13 in the Big Ten with a disaster of a season. Erstad currently has his team 6-7 in the Big Ten and went from hosting talks to talks about just making a regional.

Osborne hires aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

Erstad was a good hire, disappointed in being 6-7 in conference play but players have to make plays and they have lost 3 important games by a run in 2 of the 3 games in extra innings. Baseball season has 4 weeks until the announcements are made for the NCAA tournament.

The Pelini hire was still better than Pedy's Callahan hire, the record speaks for itself.

Last edited:
So are we now basing every football hire off of Callahan? Thats what we're going to do? Pelini was fired....didn't bring any titles to the program. While embarrassing us on and off the field multiple times. In no way did that hire work out. Miles and Erstad we will see...too early to call either one a good hire or bad hire. Nor do I think just making the NCAA tournament is some sort of win for the baseball program. This is one of the worst offensive lineups I can remember at Nebraska....you can chalk it up to "players need to make plays" to cover Erstads butt. I won't.

Make that 6-8 in the Big Ten for the fighting Erstads. Only scoring two runs in the first game. Sounds abut right!

If Erstad was hitting we would have won players play Coaches Coach.
So what exactly is the job of a HC?? I mean players hit. Players pitch. Players tackle. Remind me again....Whose job is it to bring in talent? Surely not the coach right?? That excuse is tiresome. And if it were the case no coach would ever be held responsible. Good call! Why did we fire Pelini? I mean...players tackle and players turnover the ball...derpa derp.

We'll agree to disagree on Pelini his hire wasn't a total failer and should have won the Big 12 2009 CCG.
Glad he is gone and was fired but he was on everyone list at the time after the 2003 Alamo Bowl win.

Only thing Callahan did was give us 2 losing seasons and a win against Michigan.

We'll agree to disagree on Pelini his hire wasn't a total failer and should have won the Big 12 2009 CCG.
Glad he is gone and was fired but he was on everyone list at the time after the 2003 Alamo Bowl win.

Only thing Callahan did was give us 2 losing seasons and a win against Michigan.
You arent following along. What does Callahan have anything to do with Osbornes hires? So since Callahan sucked that automatically made Pelini a good hire because he won 9 games ad zero championships? Lol......but 7hey, wasn't Callahans fault. He doesn't play the game amirite? Nice logic.

Your comparing Baseball to Football losing by a run what logic is that?

Osborne hire could have been worse and you know it.

So what exactly is the job of a HC?? I mean players hit. Players pitch. Players tackle. Remind me again....Whose job is it to bring in talent? Surely not the coach right?? That excuse is tiresome. And if it were the case no coach would ever be held responsible. Good call! Why did we fire Pelini? I mean...players tackle and players turnover the ball...derpa derp.
Amen

Your comparing Baseball to Football losing by a run what logic is that?

Osborne hire could have been worse and you know it.
lol your brought up football not me. Why does run differential matter? A loss is a loss no? You didn't answer the questions. Whose job is it to develop and recruit talent? What exactly are Coaches responsible for?

lol your brought up football not me. Why does run differential matter? A loss is a loss no? You didn't answer the questions. Whose job is it to develop and recruit talent? What exactly are Coaches responsible for?

So tell me where Erstad lost the game yesterday and today?

You brought up tackling and fumbling that's football so yes you brought it up.

So tell me where Erstad lost the game yesterday and today?

You brought up tackling and fumbling that's football so yes you brought it up.
I see this is going nowhere...as you can't even answer whose responsibility it is to recruit talent and develop said talent. I wonder why? Let's see...we lost the last two games because once again our offense was a complete fail which can be tied back to recruiting and again....developing hitters. But hey....I get Erstad is not responsible for anything. Just like Pelini wasn't responsible for all those defensive failures in your mind...because well, he wasn't on the field. Makes you wonder why any coach ever gets fired???

Erstad has recruited pretty darn good he can't help recruits choosing to be in the draft after their high school year or enter the draft as under classmen. You should know as well as anyone one with your name that college baseball changes faster from year to year than B-Ball or Football.

And I never said a head coach was not responsible, Pelini was with some terrible beatings the past 2 or 3 years.

Erstad has recruited pretty darn good he can't help recruits choosing to be in the draft after their high school year or enter the draft as under classmen. You should know as well as anyone one with your name that college baseball changes faster from year to year than B-Ball or Football.

And I never said a head coach was not responsible, Pelini was with some terrible beatings the past 2 or 3 years.
What position players that Erstad recruited out of high school/college never made it to college because they went pro? There have been a few im sure. But nothing crazy. You are acting as if this was just a one time deal. No...our offense had been mediocre for awhile now. If you don't want to blame Erstad for that. Fine...but he is ultimately responsible for the production. But you have not been paying close attention if you think this lineup is riddled with offensive talent. And I'm sure thats not Erstads fault

I agree our offense has been mediocre this year thought we were not to bad last year.

We lost some good players from last year this team is younger team than last year.

What was the kid from Norris name that choose the draft after committing?

I agree our offense has been mediocre this year thought we were not to bad last year.

We lost some good players from last year this team is younger team than last year.

We typically start 6 upper classmen in the lineup. In no way is this a young lineup. I'm sure the same excuse will be used next year once our 4-5-6 hitters graduate.

I meant we have 13 Freshman on the rooster.I know we have 4 Seniors in the lineup when Cox plays.

Jakson Reetz. There was little chance he was ever going to play here and our staff knew it. The failure to recruit to replace players you know are not likely to make it here is on the coaching staff. Using "we lost players to the draft" is an excuse Mike Anderson used to make.

Same players that won 16 of 17 granted the competition was crap but they won...at this point I watch the gametracker and just expect the other team to find a way to win...this team is in a tailspin and it sgetting too late to put out of it

Yep, I love the old "we lose players to the draft" argument. I guess no other team has to deal with it either.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, there are some legitimate concerns with this team/program. The style of ball Erstad plays is totally opposite of the way he used to play. We don't have speed on the bases. Our bats have little pop, etc.

Make that 6-9 in the Big Ten. Zero blame to Erstad though. Players play. Coaches sit there and collect paychecks. Looking like we will need to sweep the next two weekends to finish over .500 in conference.

Last edited:
Osborne is 0-1 with the other two pending. And right now neither is lighting the world on fire. I admittedly don't follow Husker baseball closely, but I know well enough this program is a long ways from the DVH days. One of the problems with TO making hires is that he seemed to either go with guys he knew or go with a hopeful up and comer, like that in Miles. I wasn't in favor of the Miles here initially. I thought it was too much of a risk to a take a guy who was barely proven. After last year I was convinced I was wrong. Then after this last year and then all the defections, I'm beginning to wonder. I'm hoping last year was an aberration. But with the kind of basketball season we had and the Husker baseball season not only not dominating but losing to Big 10 schools and even getting swept from Io_a, that's cause for alarm. Right now TO isn't looking to hot on his hires. Let's hope that changes real soon.

Hey - Pelini couldnt get it done and neither did Callahan. Both poor head coaches. Instead of looking internally, how about looking around the conference? Dantonio was hired only a year before Pelini and the two's accomplishments are not even comparable. Ohio State did what it took to get a winner in their program and look at the results. Michigan appears to have done the same - time will tell. If it makes you feel better to compare Osborne to that loser Pederson, take comfort my friend. Meanwhile, Ohio State, Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin's Athletic Directors clearly did a better job than Osborne in the hiring of a football coach.

I can't believe this devolved into a "Callahan sucked more" thread. I don't see much difference between the two except that Callahan wasn't a total a-hole.

Don't understand why people say this.
Not saying the defections are the coach's fault. In fact, in our case, about all or most aren't. Harrison and Petteway left for good reasons. And Pitch and Smith? Who knows. Regardless, unless your definition is different than mine, they're still defections no matter how you cut it. The program will have four missing parts next season that would/could have aided Miles. Yeah, I know many programs go through this each year. But what we're losing is a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT