ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting against Frost

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I have been as critical of Frost as anyone on this board. And I am on record as one who thought he should have been fired last year. But during yesterday's game at half-time I started getting text messages from many of my Husker friends back home in Lincoln saying that they hoped North Dakota would win so that there will be no doubt left that Frost has to go. I do not believe for one second that this is the view of most Husker fans. Nevertheless, my gut says that when friends of mine who are rabid fans, and who have been so for decades, start spouting such nonsense that it is probably a view shared by many.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be better for Husker football than for Frost to turn this around this year and end up winning 8 or more games. Nothing would be better than for him to be successful and to retain his job. We all know that the coaching carousel is never a good thing. And as much as I think Frost is a lousy coach, and as much as I think that he probably will not turn it around this year, I for one will be cheering for him and this team to win every damn game that they play.

I am therefore willing to admit that I was wrong to call for his firing after the NW loss. He was retained by Trev as our head coach for this season and for better or for worse our season will ride on his success or lack thereof. Let's all just take a deep breath, myself most of all, and just sit back and cheer this team on.

I have been as critical of Frost as anyone on this board. And I am on record as one who thought he should have been fired last year. But during yesterday's game at half-time I started getting text messages from many of my Husker friends back home in Lincoln saying that they hoped North Dakota would win so that there will be no doubt left that Frost has to go. I do not believe for one second that this is the view of most Husker fans. Nevertheless, my gut says that when friends of mine who are rabid fans, and who have been so for decades, start spouting such nonsense that it is probably a view shared by many.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be better for Husker football than for Frost to turn this around this year and end up winning 8 or more games. Nothing would be better than for him to be successful and to retain his job. We all know that the coaching carousel is never a good thing. And as much as I think Frost is a lousy coach, and as much as I think that he probably will not turn it around this year, I for one will be cheering for him and this team to win every damn game that they play.

I am therefore willing to admit that I was wrong to call for his firing after the NW loss. He was retained by Trev as our head coach for this season and for better or for worse our season will ride on his success or lack thereof. Let's all just take a deep breath, myself most of all, and just sit back and cheer this team on.
No he sucks. Fire him

Pretty easy to be critical when 16-30 and no big wins showing for it..

That is why beating Oklahoma, Michigan and 3 teams that he is 1-12 that are scheduled in November are pretty important wins he needs to prove to remain our head coach..

Winning 6 games and beating neither of these teams doesn’t deserve being here in the future..

Like a lot of Frost teams in the last 4+ years, this team came out sleep walking and hasn't shown any level of being able to sustain an emotional level of play for 60 minutes. At halftime, I thought this team, or the play calling, or just the way the half started NU was in desperation mode.

Frost did and said so much stupid shit over his time here, there is a legitimate lack of "circle the wagons" from a huge swath of fans. People have spent a lot of emotional energy over his time here, only to be let down when the game is on the line. I think it's only natural to expect more of the same.

Our wanting or hoping Frost succeeds or fails will continue to fall on deaf ears. Us fans don't make any decisions, but we have a right to deal with the football situation in any manner we choose. I thought the w/l record of the first 4 years merited termination. Frost will succeed or fail on his own.

During his PC yesterday, it looked to me like, for about the first time, Frost showed more legitimate concern for the "players and team" than he did for his own career. He seemed to be a lot closer to being honest than I usually see from him.

Even though NU was playing a FCS school yesterday, did something happen at halftime that Frost or the offensive staff actually landed on something that might work? I get the impression they were willing to go down in flames, but it was suddenly all about winning, regardless of what NU had to do on offense to get there.

It still goes back to a team that lacks physical and mental toughness.

Pretty easy to be critical when 16-30 and no big wins showing for it..

That is why beating Oklahoma, Michigan and 3 teams that he is 1-12 that are scheduled in November are pretty important wins he needs to prove to remain our head coach..

Winning 6 games and beating neither of these teams doesn’t deserve being here in the future..
I have no issue at all with people being critical of Frost. I have no issue with the thinking that he probably will not turn this around and he will be fired. I have been critical of Frost and I expect he will fail and be fired. My problem is with those who seem to want him to fail this year and who want him to lose in order to guarantee his firing.

First time ever I found myself rooting for the other team once we were locked in a pathetic draw with FCS team at half. I don't feel like less of a fan for feeling this way sadly. Frost has not only earned it, but given much runway to earn it.

First time ever I found myself rooting for the other team once we were locked in a pathetic draw with FCS team at half. I don't feel like less of a fan for feeling this way sadly. Frost has not only earned it, but given much runway to earn it.
Were you really hoping for us to lose, or were you just so damn frustrated and pissed (as I think we all were) and just said to yourself "**** it"? Ha. I can sympathize big time. I just think we would all be better off if Frost pulled off a miracle turn around and found a way to have a solid season.

I don’t think Frost getting to 7 or 8 wins (given the schedule) and being retained is in the best long term interests of the football program and I don’t have faith in the AD having the intestinal fortitude to make a change if we win 7 games

I’ve mentioned in posts before that I hate the position that Frost has put so many fans in. Nebraska needs a great HEAD coach. Scott does not even rank as “below average” in year five.

Can he work himself up to “below average” or even “average”? Possibly - but that is not good for NU Football either. 4 wins is progress, 5 wins is a big step and 6 wins is 100% improvement. Great metrics, still bad for NU Football. I fear Scott will be one step below Pelini where the occasional 9 win season will be celebrated after a few years of 7-8 wins.

So I do find myself at times hoping this purgatory comes to an end. I chalk it up to just one more of the negative impact he has had on HuskerNation.

I haven't had my morning coffee yet... this is satire?
Is what satire? That I don't think we should be actively rooting for Nebraska to lose games just so Frost will get fired? Satire that I hope we have a good season despite how bad it looks right now? Satire that I hope we can find a way to go 9-3 or 8-4 and to have hope for the future?

I get it. Frost sucks. I have been as critical as anyone of him. And I think he will get fired this year and deservedly so. But I will never ever hope that we lose just so a coach can be fired.

I don’t think Frost getting to 7 or 8 wins (given the schedule) and being retained is in the best long term interests of the football program and I don’t have faith in the AD having the intestinal fortitude to make a change if we win 7 games
So are you hoping that we lose so that Trev will have no choice but to fire Frost?

So are you hoping that we lose so that Trev will have no choice but to fire Frost?
I am hoping we win the maximum number of games that still results in Frost not being the coach next year

looking at other teams on the schedule we could be the same 3-9 team we were last year and blindly stumble into 7+ wins solely based on our opponents ineptitude

I have no issue at all with people being critical of Frost. I have no issue with the thinking that he probably will not turn this around and he will be fired. I have been critical of Frost and I expect he will fail and be fired. My problem is with those who seem to want him to fail this year and who want him to lose in order to guarantee his firing.
In order for change it has to crash and burn….again. Otherwise Scott gets to do what he wants since he is a husker from
The 90s.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Is what satire? That I don't think we should be actively rooting for Nebraska to lose games just so Frost will get fired? Satire that I hope we have a good season despite how bad it looks right now? Satire that I hope we can find a way to go 9-3 or 8-4 and to have hope for the future?

I get it. Frost sucks. I have been as critical as anyone of him. And I think he will get fired this year and deservedly so. But I will never ever hope that we lose just so a coach can be fired.
I've always been an ends justify the means person. It's not that I was rooting against Nebraska per say. But in the back of my mind I know a loss as bad as that one would get rid of Frost sooner. He's doing possibly irreparable damage to the program and will be lucky to go 5-7 and probably more like 3 or 4 wins. Not going to win going 8-9 games.

I assume from your username you're in PA. Hello from another Husker fan who is in Nittany Lion country. At least it's not Iowa. Lol.

I don’t think anyone needs to wish for it. Think it’s inevitable. This is the lowest state by far I’ve seen Nebraska football. Lowest I’ve ever seen posting in my 20+ years on rivals.

i don’t think we have to pull against Frost. This teams is bad on its own. Frost won’t make it past the season

Reactions: huntered
Honestly I feel like his firing is a foregone conclusion at this point. I don’t even think there’s a debate to be had. The #s speak for themselves

As a fan, would you rather lay down in a hospital bed and die by a long painful slow death, or just die by a bullet to the head.? Just get it over with! That is the thinking of fans who just want Nebraska to lose. Most people know this experiment is not going work, so lets just get it over with as quickly as possible.

1. Frost is gone no matter the record by the magical Oct date.
2. The lack of team readiness is very consistent through the years.
3. The victory yesterday is typical of a Frost team playing against a less superior talented team.
4. Next week reality sets back in with either a 1 score loss or a 10 or point win. (I am leaning loss) The talent level of GSU is closer and coaching matters.
5. Once again next week my eyes will not watch the game as long as Frost is the HC.
6. Money should not be an issue when your brand is being drug through the mud...

I don't think they fire Frost, I think he will retire at the end of the year with a nice buyout from NU to be with his family for a year before finding a position somewhere else.

Were you really hoping for us to lose, or were you just so damn frustrated and pissed (as I think we all were) and just said to yourself "**** it"? Ha. I can sympathize big time. I just think we would all be better off if Frost pulled off a miracle turn around and found a way to have a solid season.
For me personally, I wasn't rooting for ND to win but I thought it'd be really funny if they did. I never thought we'd lose yesterday, I figured the talent would take over at some point like it did despite the coaching. We're so low as a team that losing doesn't make me angry as a fan anymore and that bothers me. Frost is not turning this ship around, and even if they somehow rattle of 6 wins he needs to go. This team, again, has plenty of talent that is being squandered by the coaching and the scheme. Both lines still looked awful vs an fcs team and the defense still looked putrid. It's telling when an Iowa team that couldn't score a TD vs another fcs team still looks miles more ahead as a team than we do

We have a number of new coaches and things are still not where they need to be. That tells me we have sub par players. O line and D line are horrible. The players that mattered yesterday where mostly the ones that transferred in outside of a few on defense. We cannot keep firing coaches and frankly who are we going to get? Starting over is a four year process and there are big dollars to pay to those coaches that are fired. Sorry Urban Meyers is not someone we want even if he had interest. Lets see how the rest of the season plays out before calling for NU losses and firing of coaches. I too am frustrated as have been a huge fan since 1970.

Exactly. It’s past time for change, and I feel it is going to happen, but I will always root for Nebraska on Gameday.
Yep. I agree with those posters on here who say that Trev has probably already decided to fire Frost. I mean, it would be ludicrous to assume that he has not already formed a very informed and certain judgment about Frost as a coach. Heck, he even intimated last year that he doubted the experiment with bringing in new coaches would work. Not firing Frost last year was a simple matter of buyout money and giving Trev time to sound out various replacement coaches. And I am sure that Trev has seen the same shit show we have all seen so far this year. My one and only point is that I agree with you ... I can just never see myself rooting against NU just for a coach to fail.

I saw in Frost's presser that he said at least ten times that there are things that we need "to fix" in order to be a good team. But the main thing that needs "fixing" is that neither of our lines is physical enough. And that is a function of an entire culture and is not something you can just "fix" with a few practices. And our lack of physicality has been a trademark of all of Frost's teams. That is why even though I hope he pulls off a miracle and succeeds this year, I am 99% certain that he won't. He will probably be gone after our loss to Purdue.

Like a lot of Frost teams in the last 4+ years, this team came out sleep walking and hasn't shown any level of being able to sustain an emotional level of play for 60 minutes. At halftime, I thought this team, or the play calling, or just the way the half started NU was in desperation mode.

Frost did and said so much stupid shit over his time here, there is a legitimate lack of "circle the wagons" from a huge swath of fans. People have spent a lot of emotional energy over his time here, only to be let down when the game is on the line. I think it's only natural to expect more of the same.

Our wanting or hoping Frost succeeds or fails will continue to fall on deaf ears. Us fans don't make any decisions, but we have a right to deal with the football situation in any manner we choose. I thought the w/l record of the first 4 years merited termination. Frost will succeed or fail on his own.

During his PC yesterday, it looked to me like, for about the first time, Frost showed more legitimate concern for the "players and team" than he did for his own career. He seemed to be a lot closer to being honest than I usually see from him.

Even though NU was playing a FCS school yesterday, did something happen at halftime that Frost or the offensive staff actually landed on something that might work? I get the impression they were willing to go down in flames, but it was suddenly all about winning, regardless of what NU had to do on offense to get there.

It still goes back to a team that lacks physical and mental toughness.
Comparing NU to Ohio State is apples and oranges but I'm using it to illustrate one of the glaring differences in the teams (talent notwithstanding), but moreso, just in the area of physical and mental toughness.

OSU took on a real good Notre Dame team that was well prepared and came to play. For most of the game, ND was shutting OSU down and making them earn everything. Instead of OSU giving in like NU tends to do, they continued to fight and scratch. Now NU has a "counter-puncher" type reactive defense that fails to find any way to apply pressure to the other offense.

OSU relied on their defense to keep the game close until the time came when they could put a drive or two together and take the lead. That's what great teams, committed teams do, what well coached and well disciplined teams do. They may fail to win, but they refuse to lose.

It's likely OSU had a decent "edge in talent" over ND. Just like NU had an edge in talent yesterday, but a much larger edge in talent. NU was in desperation mode and OSU was in the mode of believing they would make the necessary changes to ultimately beat a pretty damn good ND team that kept playing hard.

Until NU begins to reverse their soft attitudes and inability to overcome adversity, it will be same ole same ole.

Frost has never managed to get NU to the point of sustaining any momentum. Either the defense came to play last year and the offense stumbled around. Or the offense this year plays decent football and the defense is a sieve. NU never seems to put it all together.

NU has in Palmer, one of the most dangerous punt returners around, yet, all the punts are fair caught by Oliver and eliminate even the chance that a game breaker might just break the game open. Remember Frost's motto? No fear of failure? Where's that at?

Even when they were playing MSU, Mich and others off their feet last year, the ability to put someone away (other than Fordham, Buffalo and North Dakota) has completely been out of the question.

That type of bulldog mental and physical toughness will never show itself under a Scott Frost team. It's about finesse and trickery and little to do with physicality or being able to dig down and sustain a mental toughness against teams.

That declared marriage of "Oregon's speed along with Nebraska's power" was nothing more than blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

At this point, I would take either Oregon's speed OR Nebraska's power. At present, NU has neither.

Nope, never can root against the Huskers, just do not put much effort in it. Don’t watch, and this year have not followed either game on-line much as it happened.

Pennsy, we are same age and got to see what well disciplined teams look like. Scott Frost seems incapable of fielding one, even though he was a part of one of the best ones we ever had. I had sky high hopes. Scott just makes poor in-game decisions, repeatedly.

Numbness and apathy are my feelings for our once proud program.

Yep. I agree with those posters on here who say that Trev has probably already decided to fire Frost. I mean, it would be ludicrous to assume that he has not already formed a very informed and certain judgment about Frost as a coach. Heck, he even intimated last year that he doubted the experiment with bringing in new coaches would work. Not firing Frost last year was a simple matter of buyout money and giving Trev time to sound out various replacement coaches. And I am sure that Trev has seen the same shit show we have all seen so far this year. My one and only point is that I agree with you ... I can just never see myself rooting against NU just for a coach to fail.

I saw in Frost's presser that he said at least ten times that there are things that we need "to fix" in order to be a good team. But the main thing that needs "fixing" is that neither of our lines is physical enough. And that is a function of an entire culture and is not something you can just "fix" with a few practices. And our lack of physicality has been a trademark of all of Frost's teams. That is why even though I hope he pulls off a miracle and succeeds this year, I am 99% certain that he won't. He will probably be gone after our loss to Purdue.

I also think it is important to note that fan support is none of that only things we have left going for us, and it’s big. If we want to attract a new coach our fan support and what come along with that (money, NIL deals, etc) will be huge.

In full transparency, I caught myself yesterday thinking (not quite hoping) we would lose so there would be no doubt. I’m not proud of that thinking. I love this team. I’m 42…was with them in the good, and I’ll be with them in the bad (cheering my ass off.) I do not believe we will ever win under Frost. I think he and Chinander are terrible coaches, and the longer we stick with them the worse we’ll be. A new coach staring over at square 1 would be an upgrade. We’re looking at a transfer from TCU…TCU… thinking he’s going to be the next Suh and lead this defense. This is going nowhere under Frost. GBR always, but it is what it is. He’s not going to win here. Not trying to be negative @Pennsyhusker , and I apologize for bringing that in. That’s just my honest mindset as a fan right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT