ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder of how steady T.O was for 25 years

West Virginia still considers 94 as a title year. We would have beat the living day lights out of them. WVU at that time, was below even G5.

Beat them asses sound in 95
We played them August 28 1994 and beat them 31-0. They were ranked #24.

Yes, that particular year it was. However, that was an anomaly, most years it was just Nebraska and Oklahoma.
And most years it was Michigan and tOSU, till Penn St came in 1994..

Colorado won a national title even though it was very questionable.. But no other Big 10 was close to competing for a national championship..

Reactions: huskerfan1414
And most years it was Michigan and tOSU, till Penn St came in 1994..

Colorado won a national title even though it was very questionable.. But no other Big 10 was close to competing for a national championship..
When Colorado hit their peak, Oklahoma was on a downward spiral. K-State was no pushover after Bill Snyder arrived, but they didn't start beating us until after Tom Osborne retired.

When Colorado hit their peak, Oklahoma was on a downward spiral. K-State was no pushover after Bill Snyder arrived, but they didn't start beating us until after Tom Osborne retired.
That’s a credit to TO. Mizzou could have been a sleeping giant similar to Clarkeyes but they are now..

We also didn't have to play a nine game B1G grinder either.
I think you have a higher opinion of the Big 10 during the Osborne years than most… during the Osborne years, 3 different Big 8 schools won the NC. During that same stretch, the Big 10 produced one, and it was shared with Nebraska in 1997.

Who else, outside of OSU and Michigan were grinder level teams? Maybe Iowa, maybe Michigan State, but not consistently, not at all. Most conferences in the Osborne era had 2 top dogs and then the rest. Why inflate the Big 10 unnecessarily?

I think you have a higher opinion of the Big 10 during the Osborne years than most… during the Osborne years, 3 different Big 8 schools won the NC. During that same stretch, the Big 10 produced one, and it was shared with Nebraska in 1997.

Who else, outside of OSU and Michigan were grinder level teams? Maybe Iowa, maybe Michigan State, but not consistently, not at all. Most conferences in the Osborne era had 2 top dogs and then the rest. Why inflate the Big 10 unnecessarily?
WHY because he is a Clarkeye fan that why..

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The more I think about it, whenever Nebraska played a Big 10 team during the Osborne era, we always clobbered them. And we played Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and I think Purdue during the regular season and I don’t remember Osborne losing to any of them except Iowa once. Played Michigan in the fiesta bowl or holiday bowl or something and kind of got robbed… but osborne was probably something like 15-2 against the Big 10. Maybe better.

Edit: I went back and looked. Nebraska was 18-2 during the regular season with a loss to Iowa and a loss to Wisconsin. 80% of the games were not even close.

@moralvictories, assuming you are a Husker fan, what makes you think Osborne would have a worse record in the Big Ten? He beat every team handily except Purdue (never played). I didn’t include the bowl game loss to Michigan, and we didn’t play Ohio state during that time. But the remaining teams in the Big Ten were torched by the Huskers under Osborne.

Last edited:
You guys are the ones bashing our current schedule. Keep in mind, back in the days of the Big 8, we only played 7 conference games. Now we play 9, perhaps that might have something to do with why we don't schedule as many good OOC teams. We already have 9 tough games on our current schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: Walleye79
You guys are the ones bashing our current schedule. Keep in mind, back in the days of the Big 8, we only played 7 conference games. Now we play 9, perhaps that might have something to do with why we don't schedule as many good OOC teams. We already have 9 tough games on our current schedule.
The B1G today is more of a meat grinder than before, but a big reason for that is because Nebraska has fallen so far. Bo won 9 games a year while in the B1G. You think Osborne couldn’t do better than that?

Reactions: scarletred
And now there is 18 teams.. You’re the one doing the comparing to begin with..

The more I think about it, whenever Nebraska played a Big 10 team during the Osborne era, we always clobbered them. And we played Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and I think Purdue during the regular season and I don’t remember Osborne losing to any of them except Iowa once. Played Michigan in the fiesta bowl or holiday bowl or something and kind of got robbed… but osborne was probably something like 15-2 against the Big 10. Maybe better.

Edit: I went back and looked. Nebraska was 18-2 during the regular season with a loss to Iowa and a loss to Wisconsin. 80% of the games were not even close.

@moralvictories, assuming you are a Husker fan, what makes you think Osborne would have a worse record in the Big Ten? He beat every team handily except Purdue (never played). I didn’t include the bowl game loss to Michigan, and we didn’t play Ohio state during that time. But the remaining teams in the Big Ten were torched by the Huskers under Osborne.
The B1G today is more of a meat grinder than before, but a big reason for that is because Nebraska has fallen so far. Bo won 9 games a year while in the B1G. You think Osborne couldn’t do better than that?
Bump for @moralvictories… would really like to hear your response to these.

He owned the SEC too. Moral really needs to google cfb conferences 1992 and just go back every season and see how conferences were back then. Before 92 you had ND, FSU and Penn St as Independents. To have all 3 of those schools not affiliated is crazy. They didn't have a "power 5" back then. Not only was the Big 8 in 1995 the first conference to have 4 teams finish top 10 in both polls, they are the only conference to ever have 1, 2 and 3 in both final polls in 1971. Osborne had some crazy OOC match ups. He split with Bear. He played PSU 5 times winning 3. He went 2-2 against Bowden in the regular season. 11 of his 49 losses were to teams that would win or split the national title. 6 of those were during the regular season. OU was only 3 of those.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT