ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder of how steady T.O was for 25 years

No, we beat up on teams like Pacific and Akron, which weren't much better.
We played pacific at the tail of his career and woulda had nine anyway, NCs.

Nonconference schedules were better from the 70s-mid 90s, and like I said one less game to get to nine. Two if you count conference title games.

Reactions: huntered
On the other had the 1981 schedule was
@ Clarkeyes
Florida St
Penn St
Auburn

Clarkeyes
New Mexico St
@ Penn St
@ Auburn

Used to play some tough out of conference schedules back in the 70s and 80s when the goal was to win your conference.

We even played Bama and USC back in the 70s when their programs were as good as any, knowing we had to play the beast that was Oklahoma back then.

Much different times, conferences, and players now getting paid above the table.

On the other had the 1981 schedule was
@ Clarkeyes
Florida St
Penn St
Auburn

Clarkeyes
New Mexico St
@ Penn St
@ Auburn
Also played a very good UCLA team led by Troy Aikman in the late 80's as well.

September 12, 1987 - Lincoln, NE​

Going scoreless in the first quarter wouldn’t matter as Nebraska scored 14 points in each of the remaining three quarters to see off a UCLA team with a first-year transfer, Troy Aikman, at quarterback. This battle was the first time that two of the top three teams were facing off in Lincoln. At the time, the Bruins were ranked number three while Nebraska was ranked second.

Last edited:
Troy got the better of NU in 1988 at the Rose Bowl
Uggh.

Tried to erase Eric Ball from my memory. Guy ran roughshod over us that day.

Kind of crazy looking back at Troy Aikman actually being a QB at Oklahoma when Switzer diverted from the Wishbone offense with his talent at QB in 1984. Took a broken ankle in '85 in a game against Miami of all teams when Jamelle Holieway took the reins and guided them to a natty that year as a true freshman himself.

Reactions: HBK4life
Uggh.

Kind of crazy looking back at Troy Aikman actually being a QB at Oklahoma when Switzer diverted from the Wishbone offense with his talent at QB in 1984. Took a broken ankle in '85 in a game against Miami of all teams when Jamelle Holieway took the reins and guided them to a natty that year as a true freshman himself.
Barry told Troy he was switching to a more pro-style offense to get him there. Worked out well for both schools after he transferred. Troy became a #1 draft pick playing for Terry Donahue at UCLA. Jamelle and Barry won a Natty at OU.

Last edited:
Uggh.

That 1989 draft was loaded. My dumbass Packers blew it by drafting the Steroid King Tony Mandarich when they could have had Barry Sanders or Derrick Thomas.
Dallas Cowboys
Troy Aikman
QB
UCLA

Green Bay Packers
Tony Mandarich
OG
Michigan State

Detroit Lions
Barry Sanders
RB
Oklahoma State

Kansas City Chiefs
Derrick Thomas
LB
Alabama

Atlanta Falcons
Deion Sanders
DB
Florida State

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Broderick Thomas
DE
Nebraska

Also played a very good UCLA team led by Troy Aikman in the late 80's as well.

September 12, 1987 - Lincoln, NE​

Going scoreless in the first quarter wouldn’t matter as Nebraska scored 14 points in each of the remaining three quarters to see off a UCLA team with a first-year transfer, Troy Aikman, at quarterback. This battle was the first time that two of the top three teams were facing off in Lincoln. At the time, the Bruins were ranked number three while Nebraska was ranked second.
Believe NU played in Columbia South Carolina in 1986 and home in 1987…

The game in Columbia Nebraska scored late taking the lead and hung ..

They also open up with Florida St at night at home and played at Illinois..

Believe NU played in Columbia South Carolina in 1986 and home in 1987…

The game in Columbia Nebraska scored late taking the lead and hung ..

They also open up with Florida St at night at home and played at Illinois..

That South Carolina team was tough.

We beat and battered their QB Todd Ellis, and he kept getting up and firing. They were a nobody, and they probably should have beat us.

First time I ever watched Sterling Sharpe. How they went 3-6-2 that year is impossible. Thankfully got them at home the next year a week after they played Georgia.

Damn, those games were dogfights.

He was outstanding. But to be fair, there were several years when the Big Eight had six horrible teams plus OU and NU. He and the Bobfather would have a tough time racking up conference and national championships in this buzz saw conference.

• Haha
Reactions: Walleye79
He was outstanding. But to be fair, there were several years when the Big Eight had six horrible teams plus OU and NU. He and the Bobfather would have a tough time racking up conference and national championships in this buzz saw conference.
And you could realistically say the same thing about the big 10 before Penn State joined the conference..

Need to remind you that a 1995 half the conference was in the top 10 at years end..

In the big eight, you had Nebraska and Oklahoma, and occasionally other teams like Missouri, Colorado, maybe the Kansas schools that would rise up. In the Big Ten, you had Michigan and Ohio State. Who else during the Osborne years? Iowa? I suppose… But the big 10 wasn’t a buzz saw anymore so the big 12 or the big eight. Not sure what you’re talking about here…

In the big eight, you had Nebraska and Oklahoma, and occasionally other teams like Missouri, Colorado, maybe the Kansas schools that would rise up. In the Big Ten, you had Michigan and Ohio State. Who else during the Osborne years? Iowa? I suppose… But the big 10 wasn’t a buzz saw anymore so the big 12 or the big eight. Not sure what you’re talking about here…
Colorado, mizzou, and okstate had good seasons often.

Everyone says they made ou and nu look better. Nope, ou and nu made them look worse.

A reminder how consistently TO got waxed by Oklahoma when both teams entered that game ranked in the top 10

TO was 2-11 in those games despite being the higher ranked team in more than half of those games

TO also managed to lose to an unranked OU team when he had a top 5 team
This is your life.

Picking on tom osborne on a message board of a team you dont even like.

A reminder how consistently TO got waxed by Oklahoma when both teams entered that game ranked in the top 10

TO was 2-11 in those games despite being the higher ranked team in more than half of those games

TO also managed to lose to an unranked OU team when he had a top 5 team
Haha you are terrible at trolling. Comical

This is your life.

Picking on tom osborne on a message board of a team you dont even like.
Tom Osborne's record against Oklahoma and Bowl games with Championship implications was less than exemplary until his last 5 years. He is still a legend but Nebraska fans shared many frustrations and doubts until he became a legend.

When I referred to the buzzsaw conference I clearly (or maybe not so clearly to several of you) meant our conference of today vs the old Big Eight. Obviously the Big Two Little Eight of Bo and Woody days was no buzzsaw. I’m old and watched many of those nearly annual Bo vs Woody Big Ten Championship games.

Last edited:
West Virginia still considers 94 as a title year. We would have beat the living day lights out of them. WVU at that time, was below even G5.

Beat them asses sound in 95

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT