ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Hosts Announced

Five seed? Maryland is a five seed?

Rutgers is losing badly tonight so Michigan will get the B1G AQ spot. Had Rutgers won, this conference would be a two bid league making Maryland the only 5 seed ever from a two bid loser league. That's embarrassing.

Five seed? Maryland is a five seed?

Rutgers is losing badly tonight so Michigan will get the B1G AQ spot. Had Rutgers won, this conference would be a two bid league making Maryland the only 5 seed ever from a two bid loser league. That's embarrassing.
Technically the seeding hasn’t been announced. They just list them in alphabetical order. I think they have a chance to be a top 8 seed though.

Technically the seeding hasn’t been announced. They just list them in alphabetical order. I think they have a chance to be a top 8 seed though.
It's going to be close, but I'm guessing they miss out on a national seed and get the #9 or #10 spot.

TCU not hosting then being sent to College Station is criminal as well. Storyline bullshit from the NCAA strikes again.

Committee gonna do what committee do, namely, follow the RPI for at-large selections. Rutgers' 42 RPI is serious bubble territory and the bubble bubbled up elsewhere.

Committee gonna do what committee do, namely, follow the RPI for at-large selections. Rutgers' 42 RPI is serious bubble territory and the bubble bubbled up elsewhere.
Grand Canyon got an at-large with an RPI of 50.

But they decided the Atlantic Sun and Missouri Valley deserved multiple bids...
Yeah, but both conferences had bid stealers come out of their tourneys grabbing the AQ spots. I hate that. Otherwise, both those conferences had a team deserving an at-large bid via RIPs 31 and 23 respectively.

Grand Canyon got an at-large with an RPI of 50.
There's always 2 or 3 outliers from off the RPI ladder and the committee's rationale for these is always subject to pushback. Several years ago the committee infamously snubbed RPI 22 North Carolina. They still haven't lived that down.

And Tom Shatel thinks Nebraska should be in a baseball only conference with Omaha, Creighton, Iowa, Minnesota and whatever other shitty teams he mentioned.

Might as well shut down the program.

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Dig in to Dallas Baptist. Absolutely 100% horseshit they got an at-large.
Help a guy out here, what am I digging for?

RPI 23 (was 14 before they lost in their conference tourney)
SOS 9 (SOS 1 in non-con play - best non-con schd in the country)
21-16 in Quad 1 & 2 play
Played 37 games in Q1 & Q2 vs 20 games in Q3 & Q4
Swept 43-16 So Miss (RPI 18)
Won the Maryland series
Beat OU and Okla St in midweek games.

When we list all their missteps and pratfalls we have to balance those against the list above. DBU won't look too bad in the comparison.

We can rail against the committee methods all day long but they designed the RPI, SOS and Quad methods to use in their deliberations and they're going to use them.

DBU was an easy call for them or so it seems to me.

21-16 in Quad 1 & 2 play
Won the Maryland series

When we list all their missteps and pratfalls we have to balance those against the list above. DBU won't look too bad in the comparison.

We can rail against the committee methods all day long but they designed the RPI, SOS and Quad methods to use in their deliberations and they're going to use them.

If you're only going to use RPI then Rutgers should have been in. DBU was barely over .500 in a bad league and shit the bed in the MVC tourney.

If you're only going to use RPI then Rutgers should have been in. DBU was barely over .500 in a bad league and shit the bed in the MVC tourney.
Well yeah but I used more than just RPI. Rutgers went 8-8 in Q1 & Q2 and had a losing record (1-3) in Q1. Rutgers' non-con SOS was 238 out of 301 teams. DBU played 37 games in Q1 & Q2 with a winning record in both Quads.

I know, DBU finished 3rd in a shit conference and Rutgers finished 2nd in a shit conference. When it comes to shit conferences the committee will throw their hands up then run home to RPI, SOS and Quads.

21-16 in Quad 1 & 2 play
Won the Maryland series

DBU played midweek games against Texas Tech (0-2), Oklahoma (1-1), Oklahoma State (1-1), Louisiana Tech (1-0), Baylor (1-0), TCU (2-0), aTm (0-1). That's a 6-5 record in the midweek against nothing but bullpen arms. Those 11 games played a huge factor in their #1 non-conference SOS.

They gamed the system and that's obvious with their 11-9-1 conference record in the Missouri freaking Valley. An 11-9-1 Missouri Valley team got a bid over a 17-7 B1G team. All because they faced bullpen arms during the week, 11 different times.

With all this said, they do have quality weekend out of conference series wins; San Diego, Maryland, Southern Miss. They also have terrible weekend losses; Bradley (#4 MoValley), Illinois State (#7 in Valley, 7-14 conference record), swept by Indiana State (#6 in Valley, 10-10-1 record).

Not to mention their 1-2 conference tournament performance.

DBU played midweek games against Texas Tech (0-2), Oklahoma (1-1), Oklahoma State (1-1), Louisiana Tech (1-0), Baylor (1-0), TCU (2-0), aTm (0-1). That's a 6-5 record in the midweek against nothing but bullpen arms. Those 11 games played a huge factor in their #1 non-conference SOS.

They gamed the system and that's obvious with their 11-9-1 conference record in the Missouri freaking Valley. An 11-9-1 Missouri Valley team got a bid over a 17-7 B1G team. All because they faced bullpen arms during the week, 11 different times.

With all this said, they do have quality weekend out of conference series wins; San Diego, Maryland, Southern Miss. They also have terrible weekend losses; Bradley (#4 MoValley), Illinois State (#7 in Valley, 7-14 conference record), swept by Indiana State (#6 in Valley, 10-10-1 record).

Not to mention their 1-2 conference tournament performance.
BTW, DBU is a 3 seed in the regional and their RPI 23 is far and away the best RPI of any 3 seed in quite awhile. In their case, RPI was not the heavy weight at-large selector.

And adding that their 6-5 midweek record against that competition is impressive and it leaned hard on the needle in their favor.

Well yeah but I used more than just RPI. Rutgers went 8-8 in Q1 & Q2 and had a losing record (1-3) in Q1. Rutgers' non-con SOS was 238 out of 301 teams. DBU played 37 games in Q1 & Q2 with a winning record in both Quads.

I know, DBU finished 3rd in a shit conference and Rutgers finished 2nd in a shit conference. When it comes to shit conferences the committee will throw their hands up then run home to RPI, SOS and Quads.
When I said "you" I was referring to the committee in the third person. You actually know what you're talking about when it comes to baseball. I really don't think they put that much thought into the decision. I think it's completely unfair to hold SOS against a northern team that doesn't have the opportunity to play midweek games in state against quality teams.

BTW, DBU is a 3 seed in the regional and their RPI 23 is far and away the best RPI of any 3 seed in quite awhile. In their case, RPI was not the heavy weight at-large selector.

And adding that their 6-5 midweek record against that competition is impressive and it leaned hard on the needle in their favor.

I'm aware of all of that, as there are just a few of us here that follow college ball pretty deep. We're both in that category. Their resume, on the surface, is impressive. But once you dig in to the resume, it's less impressive. By a lot.

Had they performed better in their conference, like they usually do, this discussion doesn't happen. They've had the same teams scheduled before and this discussion didn't exist. See 2017, 2018, 2019 as examples. (2021 is moot due to scheduling issues still with covid)

I really don't think they put that much thought into the decision.
No they sure don't, at least in their final choices of at-large bids.

They do a lot of heavy lifting up front seeding the top 16 and then finding a 2 seed for each site but for the rest they seem to go on auto drive.

At least they finally moved off of just seeding the top eight.

I'm aware of all of that, as there are just a few of us here that follow college ball pretty deep. We're both in that category. Their resume, on the surface, is impressive. But once you dig in to the resume, it's less impressive. By a lot.

Had they performed better in their conference, like they usually do, this discussion doesn't happen. They've had the same teams scheduled before and this discussion didn't exist. See 2017, 2018, 2019 as examples. (2021 is moot due to scheduling issues still with covid)
While I think Rutgers is a gutsy team and we, at least, should tip our cap to them I truly do think DBU belongs in.

Midway through the season I posted that the B1G looked like a two bid league. And so it is. Rutgers needed to win our tourney.

While I think Rutgers is a gutsy team and we, at least, should tip our cap to them I truly do think DBU belongs in.

Midway through the season I posted that the B1G looked like a two bid league. And so it is. Rutgers needed to win our tourney.

You're in an extreme minority and belong on the committee then. Eek The message is; conference record is moot, as long as you have a strong midweek schedule going 6-5. Hell, Nebraska should eliminate their Friday night guy - have him pitch against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and hell fire up the charter and include everyone within a 2-hour flight during the week - then push Saturday & Sunday up a day since a conference record is meaningless.

I remember a 1-bid comment, not that it matters. Rutgers is a second team screw job for me, with NC State as the primary.

You're in an extreme minority and belong on the committee then. Eek The message is; conference record is moot, as long as you have a strong midweek schedule going 6-5. Hell, Nebraska should eliminate their Friday night guy - have him pitch against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and hell fire up the charter and include everyone within a 2-hour flight during the week - then push Saturday & Sunday up a day since a conference record is meaningless.

I remember a 1-bid comment, not that it matters. Rutgers is a second team screw job for me, with NC State as the primary.
Well the committee won't have me and no one there calls me to let me in on their machinations but everywhere I read tells me that conference standings do matter to them. DBU's 34-22-1 record is a drag on them and so is their conference record. Perhaps those drags are the very reason they're a 3 seed and not a 2 seed where every other self respecting RPI 23 lands. Donno.

Also, conference standing was the stated reason for snubbing NC St (was it the Wolfpack and not the Tar Heels? Years go by, memory fades...).

Yeah, one seed but also said Rutgers could play their way into a better RPI and thought they would.

Well the committee won't have me and no one there calls me to let me in on their machinations but everywhere I read tells me that conference standings do matter to them. DBU's 34-22-1 record is a drag on them and so is their conference record. Perhaps those drags are the very reason they're a 3 seed and not a 2 seed where every other self respecting RPI 23 lands. Donno.

Also, conference standing was the stated reason for snubbing NC St (was it the Wolfpack and not the Tar Heels? Years go by, memory fades...).

Yeah, one seed but also said Rutgers could play their way into a better RPI and thought they would.

Conference standings can't matter. Wait, it depends on the year to fit their narrative against others. They finished 9-11-1 in a TERRIBLE conference in 2022. 3rd place, while going 1-2 in their conference tournament. Brutal. Zero justification they're in the tournament regardless what their (needs revamped) SOS &/or RPI is. 9-11-1 in a conference this season that's an auto-bid conference only.

I haven't put the time in to map out major baseball programs within a 4-hour drive to Piscataway. Or other conferences travel to the area on the weekend where they can tie skmething in (see Oral Roberts playing Omaha on the weekend, staying Monday night in Lincoln for a Tuesday game then leaving for Brookings for a Thur-Sat series. This is tough though, maybe it happened since school was out for them). Weekday competition could be out of their hands, like it is for Minnesota.

Better RPI? It needs reworked. Crazy how scheduling 2 teams like Nebraska & Florida State, both predicted to win their respective conference, ended up hurting an RPI. Why? Because those 2 teams didn't hold up "their end of the bargain"!? This is TCU - they're penalized for this while winning the B12. All while DBU sucks in the MoValley. :rolleyes:

Did DBU throw midweek starters and bullpen arms in these games? If they did then 6-5 against this schedule is solid. If they sacrificed weekend conference game pitching to allow their best arms to throw in these games, then it is indeed fishy.

Did DBU throw midweek starters and bullpen arms in these games? If they did then 6-5 against this schedule is solid. If they sacrificed weekend conference game pitching to allow their best arms to throw in these games, then it is indeed fishy.

For me, it's irrelevant who they threw. Although I added bullpen arms throwing against them it was more of a jab then anything else. The entire point is, a 1-bid league in 2022 got a 2nd bid with an 11-9-1 conference record & 3rd place finish while shitting the bed in their conference tournament.

In a normal season for DBU, it's moot. Attention is drawn to it this year due to their horrific conference record and finish.

Last edited:
I will be on both but plan to stay here and help with the baseball board until I’m told otherwise.

Oddly enough this board was one of the reasons I enjoyed Rivals so much. Always wished their was a legit national board to interact with as well (RIP Rosenblatt Report dot com)

I also noticed they didn’t create a baseball board on the other site so that made the decision to stay on both for now pretty simple.

Fellas, are we staying here or going to the new place to carry on our discussions? This forum has been a great outlet for this old man the last couple years and I'd like to keep it going.

@RobsterMobster @k9_r @HuskerFan31 @sklarbodds @huskerfan66 @BrighteRed24 @coolonetoo @Reditus @scarletred @Can o' corn (best handle!) @DiceManHusker

I registered under BoltEra. Wait, it doesn't seem like it's a free forum. If that's the case, I'm staying here.

Didn't intentionally leave someone off.
The new place is basically free assuming that they're still running that $1 promo, but I have major concerns about their baseball coverage since it appears they don't have a baseball board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT