ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Recruiting trail happenings - Tuesday 11/27 ***Updated 10:08pm***

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
q0y2tkh6q98uqyyejzxu

LB Jackson Hannah

Nebraska linebacker commit Jackson Hannah has let me know that Huskers inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud visited him today.

(Nate)

================================================================

xlu2jzel6xhzuqtofjrm

WR Winston Wright

I just spoke with Savannah (Ga.) Memorial Day wide receiver Winston Wright who told me Nebraska head coach Scott Frost will be visiting him tomorrow. The 5-foot-11, 170-pound athlete is committed to West Virginia, but he said he's planning to take a handful of visits including one to Lincoln.

"Scott Frost will be in to see me tomorrow," Wright said. "He will be coming by my school then going to lunch with me and my parents."

Wright told me he's pretty sure that Frost will be the only Nebraska coach visiting him tomorrow. He added that he's known Frost and the current Husker staff for a long time and has a good relationship with them dating back to when they were at UCF.

"I think it will only be Coach Frost coming to see me," Wright said. "(Frost) offered me when he was at UCF so I know him really well."

The Georgia playmaker said he plans on taking three official visits over the next three weeks. Then his plan is to sign on Dec. 19.

"I'll be taking official visits to West Virginia, Temple, and Nebraska in that order right now. "I'll most likely sign in December, but anything can change."

As things currently stand NU will get the last visit from Wright before he signs.

(Nate)

=====================================================

***In-home visits taking place today/tonight***

4-star ATH Wandale Robinson - Ryan Held

4-star OLB/DE Lloyd Summerall - Jovan Dewitt

3-star OL Jeremy James (Ole Miss commit) - Scott Frost, Greg Austin, Sean Beckton, and Travis Fisher

4-star RB commit Rahmir Johnson - Mike Dawson

3-star RB commit Ronald Thompkins - Scott Frost, Sean Beckton

3-star DB commit Quinton Newsome - Scott Frost, Sean Beckton, Travis Fisher

3-star WR commit Darien Chase - Troy Walters

JUCO - Riverside City College LB Vic Viramontes and DE Nick Figueroa - Erik Chinander

(Nate)
===============================================

***New offers***

Nebraska offered 2020 Cincinnati Elder OL Jakob James today. I believe it was RB coach Ryan Held that offered prior to his visit with Wandale Robinson tonight.

Nebraska also offered 2020 DE Xavier Carlton out of Modesto (Calif.) Christian today. QB coach Mario Verduzco has been in Northern California the past few days and is the one that extended the offer to the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Carlton.

(Nate)

======================================

A lot of the Nebraska coaches are in the state of Georgia today, and several of them stopped in to offensive line recruit Jeremy James's Cumming North Forsyth high school. I just spoke with James and he said the same coaches are returning to his home this evening to have dinner with his family.

"It was Coach (Scott) Frost, Coach (Greg) Austin, (Sean) Beckton and Coach (Travis) Fisher," James said. "Yes sir, I am still considering Nebraska because I really like them."

Even though James has been to Oxford, Mississippi three times for unofficial visits, he will be taking his official visit to Ole Miss this coming weekend. He said it will be up a pivotal trip for him because it will determine whether or not he ends up playing football for the Rebels in college.

"I'm going to go there to determine if I'm going to end my recruitment this weekend or if I will keep looking at and considering other schools. I'm still mostly looking at Ole Miss and Nebraska, but there are a few other schools that are talking to me now that I might look into. I'm not sure yet. Those schools are Florida State, Tennessee and Georgia."

Asked why he originally committed to Ole Miss, James replied:

"I committed over the summer just because our family really loves Ole Miss because we have good family friends who live around there. We were ready to shut down my recruiting and just focus on them, and then we took our official to Nebraska and thought maybe we should open it up and rethink it.

"I have a really good relationship with the Nebraska coaches. I really enjoy talking to them. I think they are recruiting me for tackle, but I could also play guard if they need me to do that."

James has watched both Nebraska and Ole Miss play this season and he realizes both programs are in a rebuilding mode with their new coaching staffs.

------------

I was also able to speak with Brant Banks' father, Todd, this afternoon and he filled me in on where his son's recruitment currently stands. It will be a busy schedule of in-home visits for the Banks family this week.

"Yeah, we have coaches' visits scheduled all the time," Todd Banks relayed. "We had Boston College's offensive line coach, Phil Trautwein, yesterday evening; and then this evening, Coach (Fran) Brown and Coach (Matt) Ruhle are coming from Baylor. I think on Thursday Coach Frost and Coach (Mike) Dawson are coming from Nebraska. Those are the ones I know of."

Mr. Banks said Nebraska is the only school recruiting Brant as a defensive end, and all the rest are recruiting him as an offensive tackle. He added that Brant is now up to 6-7, 280-pounds since he is not playing basketball this season. The reason he is forgoing his basketball season is because he is a December graduate and will be an early enrollee at the college he signs with.

"I played college football too, so where they're telling you they're recruiting you for is not necessarily where you're going to end up, and Brant realizes that as well. It will depend on how big he grows and where their needs are. So that's all subject to change."

In addition to the aforementioned three college programs, Missouri and Virginia are also still in the picture with Brant Banks, according to his father. Brant will be taking his official visit to Baylor this weekend, and he is considering taking an additional one to Boston College before the early signing day.

Mr. Banks believes that Brant will decide on his college based on which players and coaches he has the best relationship with.

------------

Cornhusker receiver commitment Darien Chase sent me a DM this afternoon informing me that NU's offensive coordinator and his future position coach will be stopping by Vancouver (Wash.) Union high school this evening to watch him practice for their upcoming state championship game. Undefeated Union High will play Lake Stevens Saturday evening for the state title.

Chase said that Coach (Troy) Walters is coming today to watch his practice, and then they will be going to his home for dinner. We hope to have some comments from Chase late this evening.

------------

I also spoke with Alabama defensive back commit Brandon Turnage this afternoon, and it sounds as if Nebraska has moved on from him. He has had in-home visits with Ole Miss and Mississippi State so far this week, Alabama is coming tomorrow, and Georgia is coming later on this week.

The only two official visits he has scheduled now are to Ole Miss this weekend and to Alabama on December 7.

When I specifically asked him about Nebraska, he said:

"I don't think they're coming to visit me. I haven't spoken with them for a couple weeks."

(Mike)

========================

eavuc5brzdfl7vy8rew1

Nebraska running back commit Rahmir Johnson out of Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic tells me NU DL coach Mike Dawson will be doing an in-home visit with him tonight. Johnson has yet to take his official visit to Lincoln yet, but now that his season is over he said it's looking like he will be doing it the weekend of Dec. 8. He also said he plans on signing in December, but will not be on campus until late May/early June.

Johnson also told me he's expecting Scott Frost and possibly Ryan Held to visit him next week.

(Nate)

=======================================================

DtCJEOlV4AAJWLE.jpg

Nebraska defensive coordinator Erik Chinander was by Riverside City College today visiting LB Vic Viramontes and DE Nick Figueroa today. Both players have offers from NU and it's sounding like there's a good chance both players end up visiting Lincoln.

(Nate)
========================================

dy6glgmv57vgs2h8flii

Nebraska is the latest school to offer 2020 CB Garnett Hollis out of Franklin (Tenn.) Battle Ground Academy.

(Nate)
============================================

vzuek8thocfavbvbewl6

Nebraska head coach Scott Frost has been by to see offensive tackle Jeremy James out of Cumming (Ga.) North Forsythe today. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound James is currently committed to Ole Miss but took an official visit to Nebraska earlier this fall.

I am told James will host Frost and three other NU coaches for an in-home visit tonight.

(Nate)

===============================================

*** Nebraska's outside linebackers coach Jovan Dewitt has been making the rounds to see the top remaining recruiting targets for his position. Yesterday, he stopped by to see junior college prospect Dru Mathis. And I just received a text from Lloyd Summerall stating that Coach Dewitt was at his school this morning. I have not received responses to any follow-up questions I submitted to Summerall, but if he does respond I will include them here later.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News