ADVERTISEMENT

Football RB Coach Ryan Held on Husker Sports Nightly

Alec Rome

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 8, 2018
Ryan Held was on this week's Husker Sports Nightly Football Show. Here's what Held had to say on lots of different things, including how the seniors have impacted the team in the last few weeks, who is the best golfer on the staff, and his new child.

On if the years go as fast as they seem:
“It’s been a whirlwind ever since they handed us the keys,” Held said. “We’ve had little bumps here and there… if you came to practice, you would think we’re 10-0 right now, just the fun we’re having. That’s the kind of culture we want moving forward…”

CALLER: Tom from Lincoln, asked on what is worse: penalties or missed blocks. He also wanted to know who the best golfer was on the team and how many beers Held drank after starting 0-3.

RESPONSE: While Held doesn’t like penalties, missed blocks are a big emphasis, and he wants all the running backs to know the pass protection schemes and protecting the quarterback. He doesn’t want any player to miss a block because of something they weren’t prepared for.
-Held said that, among the whole staff, Barrett Ruud is really good along with Matt Davison.
-”This fall, I’ve kind of cut out libations, just focusing on the season. My son was born a couple weeks ago, the wife’s been a trooper with that. Obviously, at 0-3, we weren’t satisfied with that, nobody was, but we kept fighting and working toward getting this thing where it needs to be.

CALLER: Randy from Lincoln, asked if the staff will look into more “power” oriented backs or stick with speed backs.

RESPONSE: Held said they look for the “complete” back. Someone who can really run, be a great pass receiver out of the backfield, protect and do it all. They want smaller guys, but also bigger backs because of the wear and tear style of the Big Ten.
-Overall, Held said, “I want the guys that are ready to compete each and every day, that have their cleats in the car if someone calls them out at Applebee’s, they want to be able to go out in the parking lot and run a route because they’re called out and they love the game that much.”

SIDE NOTE: Held said that how many RBs they bring in for the upcoming class is fluid, and each position coach wants to get as much as they can, but each coach is good with giving and taking due to the needs of the entire team.

On the emergence of Devine Ozigbo:
-Held said, from afar, that he paid attention to Ozigbo as a life-long Husker fan, even coaching at UCF last year. When he got the job, one of the things he noted was that Ozigbo needed to lean up for the offensive style. He had a good spring ball, and Held challenged him in the summer to lean up and Ozigbo responded despite competition at the position.
-“It would be hard to argue that there is a better running back in our league in terms of how they are playing.”
-Ozigbo is a great pass catcher, home run hitter and team guy, Held said. “He kept fighting, he didn’t make excuses, just kept plugging away. It’s a testament to who he is and to the seniors on this team who are fighting to the end.”

CALLER: Colin, asked about what trait is Held’s favorite when it comes to finding the complete back. Also asked if Held believes in “positionless” football, in respect to finding athletes who can line up as both running backs and wide receivers.

RESPONSE: “Speed. We need home run hitters, you can see in this offense when we create opportunities and have one-on-one situations, we need guys who can make guys miss and go all the way. At the end of the day, we need guys that can run. There’s an old saying, ‘that’s what speed do,’ and I’m a big Royals fan, and a couple years ago when they won the World Series they had guys who had speed from a baseball perspective.”
-Held actually coached against Tyreek Hill of the Kansas City Chiefs in JUCO, and Held said he “is one of the fastest human beings I’ve ever seen.”
-Held says they do have hybrid positions on the team, including the "T" and the "Duck R," where the Duck R can be split out as a receiver or get motioned back in. Sometimes the Duck R can become the T. Held said the ideal T is a "bigger guy that can do more of the wear and tear" like Ozigbo or Maurice Washington. He wants all running backs to have the ability to run routes and run from the backfield because then opposing defenses can't key in on one specific player.

On how the last ten months or so have been for Held personally:
-“It’s a blessing to be back here. I pinch myself when I walk into the office, to be able to coach the running back position at Nebraska, a historic position of so many great players from the past. I take pride in doing everything I can to get that position back to where it used to be.”
-Held said the staff and team is not satisfied yet, but is happy that everything is getting better week-by-week.

On the Berringer-Osborne statue and game days:
-Held said that when he was in high school, Brook Berringer was his host when he came on a visit. Berringer and Held were friends over the time they were together, so he always looks at it when coming into the office.
-”When you see how unbelievable our fans are and how passionate they are, to be able to be back and see that, it’s awesome. I get goosebumps when I put on the headset and Coach Frost runs out in the tunnel walk.”

CALLER: Greg from Grand Island, asked if there’s any regret on not redshirting Washington this season.

RESPONSE: Held said that Washington is very talented and that the staff doesn’t regret playing him this year. While there are nagging things and injuries for Washington here and there, Held believes he will have a great offseason and will make the most of the games remaining in his career.

On Wyatt Mazour:
“Wyatt has been awesome for us, he has made a big impact on our special teams… He works hard every day and gives us flexibility in the backfield...
-Held has no qualms with putting Mazour in the game and thought he almost had a touchdown against Ohio State as a receiver except the corner came over and Martinez was told to be conservative in that situation.
-”He’s a walk-on story,” Held said, since Mazour earned a scholarship and that Nebraska will “treat you right” and players have the chance to earn scholarships if they do the right thing.

On Mikale Wilbon and Austin Rose:
-Wilbon has had a lot of reps over his career, and Held tips his cap to Wilbon for showing up to work every day and being a great teammate despite not having a bunch of reps this season.
-Wilbon already has a bachelor’s degree and is in progress on his master’s degree.
-Was happy to see “Rosey” put the Huskers over 600 yards of offense versus Illinois on a seven yard carry.

CALLER: Chase, asked if Held has any game day traditions or superstitions.

RESPONSE: Held was a head coach at lower collegiate levels for 12 years, and his traditions have evolved and changed over the years. Sometimes he wears a certain shirt he would wear, or workout in the morning. “It’s kind of a feel thing, I’ll switch it around.”
-Held does try to get an amp workout to get the blood flowing, lift a bit or does something in the hotel room on the road just to get himself in the right place. He is less superstitious than he was previously.

CALLER: Dr. Jerry, asked about Held’s new baby, Jacob, and who is the fastest running back.

RESPONSE: “The baby is doing great, two weeks old, getting accustomed to life, and as babies do, they don’t know if it’s night time or day time. My wife’s been a trooper when I’m at work… I look forward to seeing him grow up and prosper.”
-Held’s dogs, Bo and Sully, are also getting used to the cries and noises. His dogs are like his kids as well.
-“If you lined them up, it would be close,” Held said. Devine is playing at a high level, Washington is very fast, and Held said it would be a “very good race.”
-Held said maybe after the season is over, the RBs will go to the indoor and settle who is the fastest “fair and square.”

On the importance of getting Ozigbo to 1,000 yards:
-Devine Ozigbo is a team-first guy according to Held, but he said it would be nice to see him reach that mark. He’s “chomping at the bit” to make that milestone.
-Morgan and Spielman also have a shot at the thousand yard mark, which Held said is good for recruiting and showing what players have the opportunity to do in the Nebraska offense.

On the challenges Michigan State poses:
-From a scheme perspective, Held said that the Spartans know who they are and can make adjustments even when teams find their weaknesses. “They’re well-coached, they’re physical… they’re kind of the bully of the Big Ten. They take pride in that.”

FINAL THOUGHTS: “We look forward to our fans being really loud on Saturday, we need you there… let’s send these seniors out the right way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News