ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the Big Ten West Position Groups

We get back Teddy and Nouilli and added a very good center via the portal. That is HUGE help for our QB. Couple that with IMO with a more coherent run scheme and a more willing runner at QB and I expect our offense to be more consistent this fall. I don’t think we’ll have to live and die with one WR making big plays.
From what I recently read, Piper, Corcoran and Lutovsky are ready to play inside along with Nouili. IOL looks pretty solid.

Its because Jeff Sims is going to lose winnable games. The tools for Nebraska are there to have a good offense. But Jeff Sims lacks the ability to wear the tool belt successfully.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa are all teams that are going to load the box and force Sims to throw the football. Nebraska has the receiving corp capable of beating these teams, but they don't have the QB. And I think we all know what we will see from the offensive line.
Just rewatched the SG of Sims going live against mostly our #1 D. Not sure how many West QBs had to go live against their top D in the spring, but I’m assuming not many. Maybe our D will be average, but he still completed some very nice passes and looked much better throwing the ball than many have made him out to be.

Pessimism for Sims is based solely on stats with a GATECH roster that even Bryce Young would have struggled to win games with.

Cornicator, I’ve always felt you were a very pragmatic poster. However, I hope your analysis of Simms is wrong. Surprisingly more cynical than I would expect. Coaching matters, more so now than ever, and with a few of our gritty lineman coming back I am more optimistic.

On a lighter note, keep posting.

I also think our defense will be a bright side with our backfield talent.

If we end up ranked 6th in the West at quarterback, it will be a long season. I doubt that happens though.

NW has the #3 QB and just fired their coach. Could we portal their guy in under the change of coaching rules to at least have somebody to compete with Sims for the starting job.

NW has the #3 QB and just fired their coach. Could we portal their guy in under the change of coaching rules to at least have somebody to compete with Sims for the starting job.
Hilinski and Sims will both be juniors this season. It's highly unlikely that he would transfer to a school with a veteran QB who is projected to be the starter.

Last edited:
He has 30 days to enter the portal, then someone with an open scholarship would be able to contact him. Until he enters, you can't just "go get him" without breaking rules.

Reactions: shocksker
Hilsinki is no longer their starter. The Cincinnatti QB transferred to NW after Fickel left.
Yes, thanks for correcting me. Bryant from Cincinatti is in his final year. So, it's even less likely that he would transfer to a school like Nebraska, where an experienced quarterback is projected to be the starter.

Just rewatched the SG of Sims going live against mostly our #1 D. Not sure how many West QBs had to go live against their top D in the spring, but I’m assuming not many. Maybe our D will be average, but he still completed some very nice passes and looked much better throwing the ball than many have made him out to be.

Pessimism for Sims is based solely on stats with a GATECH roster that even Bryce Young would have struggled to win games with.
Coincidentally, Bryce Young’s ‘22 running mate and #12 overall pick in this year’s draft played alongside Sims for 2 years at GT

I think a lot of this is too early to tell for Nebraska and some of the other teams in the west with new or now different coaching staffs.

My biggest concern with Sims, is how many times he'll get hit. He can have a tendency at times to get sacked. He certainly can run it much better than CT did, but I don't want to see him get hit too often running the ball or getting mauled by defensive linemen. It's entirely possible he could really shine at Nebraska, but we have to keep him protected.

If we end up ranked 6th in the West at quarterback, it will be a long season. I doubt that happens though.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but there’s half the season left. Things could change dramatically by the end of November. Obviously injuries have been a huge factor for NU.

which current B1G west QB would rank higher than Haarberg?

OP was right about sims. wrong about illinois.

kudos for the bump, @Cornicator. always fun to revisit people's thoughts.

I feel like the Big Ten West QB ratings are now this:

5. Kid from Northwestern
6. Everyone else
7. Obese Kid at Iowa.
59%, <6 yards/attempt?

here are the B1G West QB rankings as of this second:

1. Haarberg
2. NW kid
3. Card
4. Greek Minn QB
5. ILL pick machine
6. iowa's QB