Recruiting Quick observations from the St. Louis 3 Stripe Camp

Nate Clouse

Nebraska Legend
Staff
Feb 14, 2012
Lincoln, Neb.
d6bp68seg1mp3pyf9adp

2021 OL Teddy Prochazka

Here are some quick thoughts and observations from today's Rivals 3 Stripe Camp in St. Louis...

***We thought today's 3 Stripe Camp was going to be loaded with talent and we were right. Although there were a handful of big names that ended up not being able to make it out to the camp it was still a very deep and talented group.

***Nebraska was extremely well represented at today's camp. There weren't as many in-state players in the camp as we've had in the past, but the prospects that were there competing today sure did represent their state well today.

2020 prospects WR Xavier Watts, RB Jaylon Roussell, TE Wyatt Seagren, WR Mason Armstead and 2021 prospects OL Teddy Prochazka, LB Drew Christo, OL Isaac Zatechka, and OL Nolan Gorczyca all performed very well in what was a very talented camp.

Watts, Roussell, Seagren, Prochazka and Christo were among the top overall performers at their respective positions on the day.

***I have to give special props to 2020 RB Jaylon Roussell and 2020 TE Wyatt Seagren. Neither one of those guys originally had an invite to the camp, but ended up earning one by performing well at the adizero combine on Saturday. Both ended up being among the best overall players at their positions, proving they belonged on that stage.

Roussell and Seagren are still waiting to earn an Division I offer at this point. However, from what I saw out of them today it's only a matter of time until they see their recruitment really take off.

***St. Louis is home to a very impressive group of OLB/DE type edge rushers in 2020 Joe Moore, 2020 Noah Arinze, and 2021 Travion Ford.

Moore ended up taking home the defensive line MVP on the day. These are the types of players Nebraska is needing. Unfortunately, after speaking with all three, it's clear the Huskers have a major uphill battle with them - especially with Moore and Arinze.

***In addition to having some extremely talented edge rushers at the camp, there were also some really impressive interior offensive and defensive linemen. 2020 OL Jalen St. John was dominant on the day which led to him earning OL MVP. 2021 DT Gabriel Rubio is a special prospect as well. He does not look or act like your typical sophomore in high school. Rubio also took some reps at defensive end and had a few good battles with Prochazka.

Rubio told me he's working to get to know the Huskers' new DL coach Tony Tuioti better and thinks he will be making his way back to Lincoln at some point this summer.

***2020 Rivals100 WR/ATH Mookie Cooper and 2020 RB Reggie Love are electric. They'd thrive in Nebraska's offense. Both were tough for defenders to handle all day long. Love is currently committed to Illinois and Cooper - former Texas commit - just visited Ohio State yesterday.

***I was impressed by 2022 WR Chris Brooks Jr., son of former Husker WR Chris Brooks, today at the camp. He's pretty put together already for a freshman in high school and is much more polished and fundamentally sound than most of his peers at that age as well. He's a name to know for the future and may be making it to Lincoln for a Friday Night Lights camp.

***I was really looking forward to seeing 2020 Iowa OLB/DE Blaise Gunnerson compete today. However, he was among a handful of bigger names that were no-shows at the camp. The good news is that it sounds like part of the reason he did not make it to St. Louis was because he visited Nebraska this weekend.

Gunnerson has been down to NU and Iowa State since attending the Red-White Spring Game. With that being said, I feel as if his visit to Lincoln this weekend is very good news for the Huskers. I made my FutureCast for him ending up at Nebraska back on April 13 and still feel very good about that pick.

***2020 WR Xavier Watts was part of Burke's 4x100 team that won all-class gold yesterday. He then traveled to St. Louis and didn't get into town until about 3:00am. He has official visits set up to Notre Dame in June, Michigan for their home opener this fall. He told me he will for sure be taking an official visit to Nebraska as well.

***One piece of bad news I feel like I must share is that it's painfully clear the Huskers have not been able to gain much traction with most of the St. Louis recruits that they have offered.

Overall, it was a great day at East St. Louis High School. We'll be having much more in-depth coverage from today's camp coming throughout the next few days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News