ADVERTISEMENT

QB Comparison to Rhule's first year at Baylor

Brasky_Pants

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2014
We all know Baylor went 1-11 in Rhule's first year, but I was curious about what the QB play/situation looked like. I thought Charlie Brewer started from the outset, but turns out that wasn't the case.

Rhule brought in Anu Soloman from Arizona as a grad transfer who, like Sims, was crowned as QB1 and team leader from the get go. Unfortunately for Soloman, he suffered a nasty concussion in the second game that ended his football career. Zach Wilson (not the Jets ZW) stepped in as QB1 and stunk it up through 3 or 4 games, one of which he threw 3 INTs in. Rhule pulled him and put in Brewer in the 4th quarter against WVU. Brewer provided a spark and remained the starter the rest of the season (and following 2 seasons).

It's not apples to apples, but I was surprised at the similarities. The big difference obviously being that Wilson and Brewer were both backups to start the year. Without an injury forcing your hand, it's a lot harder to pull the guy you've built up as QB1 and a team leader.

All that being said, while I wish no harm to the kid, I do think it would be a positive if Sims is unable to go this week - allowing HH and/or Chubba to show the coaches and the fans what they can do when the bullets are live and the game is within reach. As we all know, the grass isn't always greener even when your QB1 isn't very good (see last year and the year before), but at least that would be made apparent. I think most would rather know we're just plain f*cked at QB this year than wonder how bad can it really be behind Sims.

On the flipside, if one of the QBs provides a spark and/or manages the offense/game well (i.e., doesn't turn the ball over and averages more than a FG per quarter in scoring), I do have confidence in Rhule that he will go with whoever gives us the best chance, because I know he cares more about the team than his own ego. And I'm certain the players just want to win and would rally around whoever gives them the best shot to do so -- irrespective of all the goodwill and leadership cred Sims may have built up over the offseason.

Just my .02 (in the form of a long rambling post).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News