ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Is Miles the right guy for the job?

Does Miles deserve 2 more years to coach the Huskers basketball team?

• Total voters

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Seems there's a lot of noise out there about whether Miles is the right guy for the job or if he's in over his head. Instead of hearing from 3-4 fans who weigh-in, I'm curious to know what the mood of the larger community is.

If you want to state your opinion about why you answered yes or no, please feel free to do so.

I know many will want to take the easy-out of saying "let's wait until the season ends" - but I'm not giving that option. If you had to decide TODAY, do you let him go two more years or not?

Two more years? No. But, I would be fine with him getting next year knowing it should be NCAA or bust. So I guess, due to your actual question...I voted no.

I wish there was an "I don't know" option, because I literally have no clue. The Nebraska basketball program continues to be a mystery to me. So much fun when the W's come, yet still a mystery.

currently we are the only BIG team with a losing record

if we finish with a losing record again this year that will be 4 out of 5 years Miles has a sub .500 record -- that's hard to do

no way that should be happening - if we aren't in the NCAA we should be a regular in the NIT - if that isn't happening then we need to move on

Last edited:
2 more years? If the team finishes this year strong, I might give him 1 more year, but 2 years is completely out of the question with the team's current performance. Purdue was a very nice win, but doesn't indicate a trend. He needs to finish with at least a .500 record in the B1G and overall to earn the 1 year extension in my book.

if we finish with a losing record again this year that will be 4 out of 5 years Miles has a sub .500 record -- that's hard to do

no way that should be happening - if we aren't in the NCAA we should be a regular in the NIT - if that isn't happening then we need to move on

If he finishes under .500 for a third straight season he should be gone. Very few coaches are able to survive that stat (no matter how historically bad a program is :rolleyes:) and Miles should be no exception especially since this isn't happening in year 3.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

Yea, we need to quit scheduling Kansas, UCLA and Creighton so we could be well above .e500.

Might even ask the B1G if we could play UNO instead of playing an ACC team in the ACC/ B1G challenge

Last edited:
I would vote yes just because I'm not sure we can do better. However if a big hire came available tomorrow I would definitely make the change, just don't see that happening at Nebraska.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I will also say that posing this question the day after a win over a ranked opponent will skew in Miles' favor. I'm guessing the results would be a little different if you asked the question after the most recent Northwestern loss. And probably even worse after the Rutgers or Ohio State losses.

Reactions: scarletred
I will also say that posing this question the day after a win over a ranked opponent will skew in Miles' favor. I'm guessing the results would be a little different if you asked the question after the most recent Northwestern loss. And probably even worse after the Rutgers or Ohio State losses.
Most likely, you're right, but sans the ability to ask in a vacuum, the question was going to be biased after a loss or a win. I just wanted to get the temperature of the fan base to find out if I'm the only one who thinks the guy is worth two more years. Seems at least I'm not alone.

2 more, heck less give him 4. His teams are young after all.
Appreciate the sarcasm. I put the time at 2 years for a reason. If he isn't able to make a tournament and be competitive in the B1G with Watson, McVeigh, Morrow, Jacobson, Copeland as seniors, then it will be very clear. I just don't see what we gain by pulling the plug before then.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
He will not be gone at the end of this year no matter what happens. I don't think he should be let go. This is a young team and you have to give him a chance to get everyone healthy and see where they can go next season. I am definitely not throwing in the towel for this season as we can still make a run, but if we are talking about Miles' future as the coach I don't think you can make that move this year. Even if we go 3-6 or 2-7 in these last 9 games, you have to look at how/why they got to the final record they have, what will be coming back next year, were they blown out in multiple games, were they put into positions to make plays and just didn't make them/turned the ball over/missed free throws, etc. So many variables that a coach cannot control no matter who it is. Now some of that can be influenced in practice like end of game situations, out of bounds plays, out of bounds defensive positioning, etc. But Miles cannot make the passes or shots for them.

For everyone lobbying for him to be let go at the end of this season, I know you're looking at the losing records and not getting to postseason play enough, but I just don't see letting him go at the end of this season to be a positive going forward. Please enlighten me on how this would help. We've got recruits and transfers that are going to make a difference next year as well. I just don't see the argument, at least not yet...

I've been critical of Miles and a lot of the criticism IMO is justified. However, if he is ran out of town, then what? Iba, Nee, Collier, Sadler, Miles....I've seen this movie before.

We have no tradition, no recruiting base to fill the roster, and Lincoln is geographically isolated from the recruiting bases more than any other school in the BIG.

We've tried the 'up and comer' route. We've tried the guy who made the tourney at smaller schools, but in my entire life, 7 dances, 0 wins. Get rid of Miles, bring in another up and comer or guy with a little success, what is going to change? History is not on our side.

It is my opinion, there is only one way to ever make Nebraska consistently respectable, let alone a power in basketball. The coach has to be a big name. It doesn't have to be national champion coach, but it has to be a guy who will get the attention of, and have instant name recognition with recruits. Now the question is, will Nebraska pay, and if Nebraska will, would one of those guys take the job?

Seems there's a lot of noise out there about whether Miles is the right guy for the job or if he's in over his head. Instead of hearing from 3-4 fans who weigh-in, I'm curious to know what the mood of the larger community is.

If you want to state your opinion about why you answered yes or no, please feel free to do so.

I know many will want to take the easy-out of saying "let's wait until the season ends" - but I'm not giving that option. If you had to decide TODAY, do you let him go two more years or not?
Does Nebraska have some great Basketball tradition that I'm not aware of?

I've never seen Nebraska more athletic or more competitive. They were doing great this year until the big guy got hurt. That tells me that we are very close. The players seem to like Tim and play hard for him.

Firing coach Miles would be a mistake.

Poll: Who cares about basketball?

A lot more people than you might think. Who cared about basketball when the Huskers made the tournament a couple years back? Gotta love the bandwagon fans. Oh we're good now. I love Nebraska basketball. Oh we aren't good this year, I'm not going to pay attention and just bash the team and coaching staff for not making the NCAA tournament consistently and call for the coach to be fired.

And the poll results show that a lot more people are seeing better things out of Miles and the team to retain him rather than fire him and start all over again

Ok then for all those that want to give him more time, do you extend his contact the normal 1 year or do you do what Eichorst did last year? Which would leave the current deal as is and he would be left with 3 years on that deal.

Last edited:
And the poll results show that a lot more people are seeing better things out of Miles and the team to retain him rather than fire him and start all over again

Fear of the unknown. Afraid it could get worse, fans with opinions that Nebraska basketball has a ceiling that isn't much higher than just getting in the NCAA. So, in their opinion, we are close enough to that ceiling to not rock the boat. All weigh heavily in this poll.

Reactions: Mtnhusker
Fear of the unknown. Afraid it could get worse, fans with opinions that Nebraska basketball has a ceiling that isn't much higher than just getting in the NCAA. So, in their opinion, we are close enough to that ceiling to not rock the boat. All weigh heavily in this poll.
Wow, you never told me that you could see past simple poll results and into the mindset of those who voted for two more years. I hope you make the big bucks, because that is a widely sought after talent.

You must, however, be speaking of the others who voted for two years, because my vote had absolutely nothing to do with "fear" and a "ceiling". I see Nebraska basketball actually on the verge of being RELEVANT and making NOISE in the conference and ultimately the NCAA tournament, which is why I think firing a coach who has brought us to the verge would actually accomplish what you say people are afraid of. If we fire the guy now, we live your destiny of having a ceiling and never seeing something to its fruition.

I predict that Miles will get an extension after this season and we'll all get a chance to see how this shakes out in two years. One of us will be wrong and one will be right.

There are several posts about firing a guy who is on the verge of something, who has had 1 winning season in 4 years, and a better than 50/50 chance of making it 1 of 5. Then another said the team was playing "great" until Morrow went down. For the record the team was 9-7 at that point. If 9-7 is great then the ceiling is low. Then others posting about who can we get that's better. Discussing the only way to get to the next level is to hire a big name coach because the up and comers and guys who did it at smaller D1 schools aren't getting it done. That is fear of it getting worse.

Not every reply I make has your posts as a basis for my commentary.

As I told you before if you are looking for perfect harmony and singing Kumbaya you are looking in the wrong place.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Wow, you never told me that you could see past simple poll results and into the mindset of those who voted for two more years. I hope you make the big bucks, because that is a widely sought after talent.

You must, however, be speaking of the others who voted for two years, because my vote had absolutely nothing to do with "fear" and a "ceiling". I see Nebraska basketball actually on the verge of being RELEVANT and making NOISE in the conference and ultimately the NCAA tournament, which is why I think firing a coach who has brought us to the verge would actually accomplish what you say people are afraid of. If we fire the guy now, we live your destiny of having a ceiling and never seeing something to its fruition.

I predict that Miles will get an extension after this season and we'll all get a chance to see how this shakes out in two years. One of us will be wrong and one will be right.

As I've posted before, I would be just fine with Miles getting next year..and if so, we probably do have to extend his contract by a year for recruiting purposes. But, I don't see him around for 2018-2019 if next year remains status quo. Assuming we don't have any key departures the youth excuse gets thrown out the window, we will have an experienced team and a roster that some say is our most talented since the Nee years(I would agree.) If he can't get it done next year...he never will IMO and it would be a waste of talent to keep him around for Watson and Morrow's senior year.

Reactions: bigboxes
Let's see how many of the promising young players transfer out at the end of the year and redo this poll currently showing overwhelming support for Miles.

I don't see anyone transferring unless it's someone like Fuller or anyone else that aren't seeing an opportunity for playing time any time soon.

I don't see anyone transferring unless it's someone like Fuller or anyone else that aren't seeing an opportunity for playing time any time soon.

Although I hope he doesn't, I could still see McVeigh getting processed. If everyone sticks around we will have six juniors on scholarship next year. Out of all the juniors to be next year..I would think McVeigh is the only player who may be advised to move on. Obviously we can't afford to lose Morrow/Watson but I don't see that happening. Even if Miles is let go.

Reactions: burgundy95
Although I hope he doesn't, I could still see McVeigh getting processed. If everyone sticks around we will have six juniors on scholarship next year. Out of all the juniors to be next year..I would think McVeigh is the only player who may be advised to move on. Obviously we can't afford to lose Morrow/Watson but I don't see that happening. Even if Miles is let go.

Definitely possible depending on how Palmer and Copeland are put into the mix. And Roby/Horne will probably snag some minutes from Jack as well. I hope he doesn't leave, but I do agree with that after thinking about the potential new players taking available minutes in the rotation.

There are several posts about firing a guy who is on the verge of something, who has had 1 winning season in 4 years, and a better than 50/50 chance of making it 1 of 5. Then another said the team was playing "great" until Morrow went down. For the record the team was 9-7 at that point. If 9-7 is great then the ceiling is low. Then others posting about who can we get that's better. Discussing the only way to get to the next level is to hire a big name coach because the up and comers and guys who did it at smaller D1 schools aren't getting it done. That is fear of it getting worse.

Not every reply I make has your posts as a basis for my commentary.

As I told you before if you are looking for perfect harmony and singing Kumbaya you are looking in the wrong place.

Wow. Yes we were 9-7... We had also won 4 straight games. Two over ranked opponents, on the road. To say we weren't playing great at that time shows a massive amount of bias.

edit: And yes I know that Indiana is not currently rated. To my memory they were when we played them.

We don't have the talented 4-5 star players in Nebraska that can just walk in the door like they can down in Texas. Pretty big location advantage for Baylor.

That is a weak excuse. Location excuse for football is one thing because of weather and such but indoor sports don't have that issue. If so how do you explain volleyball or Gonzaga.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That is a weak excuse. Location excuse for football is one thing because of weather and such but indoor sports don't have that issue. If so how do you explain volleyball or Gonzaga.

???? It's about the talent being produced close to your University. It has nothing to do with weather. While I agree that it's easier to overcome than in football it's still a factor. Your volleyball example proves the point. Nebraska produces elite volleyball players every year. In fact this past year we had three of the top players in the country on our team and they all went to the same Nebraska high school.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Yea, we need to quit scheduling Kansas, UCLA and Creighton so we could be well above .e500.

Might even ask the B1G if we could play UNO instead of playing an ACC team in the ACC/ B1G challenge
Playing the big names is going to attract better talent. As for ACC challenge, young team had a chance to win that game. You don't get better by avoiding competition. As for UNO. I think playing them beats playing Garner Webb. I would like to see a couple of the UNO players down in Lincoln.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
I've been critical of Miles and a lot of the criticism IMO is justified. However, if he is ran out of town, then what? Iba, Nee, Collier, Sadler, Miles....I've seen this movie before.

We have no tradition, no recruiting base to fill the roster, and Lincoln is geographically isolated from the recruiting bases more than any other school in the BIG.

We've tried the 'up and comer' route. We've tried the guy who made the tourney at smaller schools, but in my entire life, 7 dances, 0 wins. Get rid of Miles, bring in another up and comer or guy with a little success, what is going to change? History is not on our side.

It is my opinion, there is only one way to ever make Nebraska consistently respectable, let alone a power in basketball. The coach has to be a big name. It doesn't have to be national champion coach, but it has to be a guy who will get the attention of, and have instant name recognition with recruits. Now the question is, will Nebraska pay, and if Nebraska will, would one of those guys take the job?
Miles makes roughly $1,000,000/yr more than McDermott. Miles is one of the Top 30 paid coaches. Miles salary is roughly the same as Roy Williams. Let that sink in. Creighton has the same recruiting base as NU yet they have not had the same problems winning games, or at least being better than a 500 team. We have a Top 30 salaried Coach with a sub 500 record after 5 years. If DC Banker got fired for having a defense that ranked around #20 for scoring average after 2 years with tons of holes in his roster to work around then how is it fair that Miles gets a pass after 5 years?

I think some people are just afraid to rip the band-aid off, much like what we went through with the Bo-Bots. Anyone who has run a large company can tell you that at the end of the day numbers matter and is someone is not bringing value added you need to get rid of them and try someone else. For me this is the telling year for Miles. Honestly when I watch the team I see a talented but poorly coached team on the floor. I am still concerned that we only have 1 true PG and 1 true Center in year 5 and nobody in the recruiting class for these positions for next year. Poor roster management, questionable player development and a team that plays fundamentally poor basketball. I am still trying to figure out what type of offense he wants to run. He has an undersized team that is not good outside shooters. They play hard nosed defense and that is really all I can compliment them on> I doubt we are in the Top 20 in any NCAA team stats (FT %, rebounding margin, blocked shots, steals, FG%, defensive FG%, scoring, defensive scoring....)

Handcuffed by the same recruiting area limitations Creighton has much better shooters and big men, plus such better depth across the board. CU lost their star PG Watson plus their experienced back-up big man Hansen to injuries and you don't hear them making excuses. Where would we be if we lost Watson?

If the team finishes strong and he addresses at least one of the holes in the roster (PG or Center) then I would be for Miles getting another year. Otherwise I think 5 years is enough time to lay the foundation of a program and right now that foundation looks pretty shaky to me. Miles gets paid a very handsome salary and not sure we are getting our monies worth. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions, much like Riley did with Banker. Ask yourself this, do you see Miles leading us to a Top 15 ranking any time in the near future? I think McDermott could. After 5 years of McDermott as coach I doubt we would be complaining about being a sub 500 team, the only team in the league with a losing record. Creighton making us look silly and like cry babies, they make it work and are just down the road from us. No excuses, just results. GBR

Last edited:
???? It's about the talent being produced close to your University. It has nothing to do with weather. While I agree that it's easier to overcome than in football it's still a factor. Your volleyball example proves the point. Nebraska produces elite volleyball players every year. In fact this past year we had three of the top players in the country on our team and they all went to the same Nebraska high school.

So you are saying Nebraska doesn't have any division 1 basketball talent? Just because they aren't playing for Miles doesn't mean they don't exist.

I watched a game on Fox the other day where there were 3 on the floor. 1 will be a lottery pick and the other 2 may well play in the association.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT