ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your All-Time Favorite Race Horse Is?

Rufus Barchetta

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
Houston, TX
There's nothing like grabbing a fresh racing form, a cold beer and doing the breakdowns on races. How I miss scrounging for change to have enough betting money at Aksarben in the 80's. My wins weren't big but the fun was. The most I ever won was $150. Anyway, there are lots of race horses I remember loving at Aksarben. Epic's Drum, Blackie Sherrod, Sugar Stat, etc. My all time favorite horses though are listed below.

*Note: This is NOT a list of which horse is the "best", just who my favorites are.

Here is my list:

#1 Who Doctor Who
Made going to Aksarben so much more fun! The crowd was electric when "The Doctor" ran. Track announcer Terry Wallace always saved his best and most exciting calls for when Who Doctor Who Ran.
who.jpg

#2 Secretariat
Was a good horse. I enjoy watching the '73 Belmont Stakes on repeat. One of the most amazing athletic performances by an animal ever.
tdih-jun09-HD.jpg

#3 Seabiscuit
Carried a lunchpail to the track every day. Was a true coach on the field. Blue collar work ethic horse while guile. They even made a movie about Seabiscuit. Check it out.
sea.jpg

#4 Ruffian
So fast, such heart and a tragic end. Chokes me up to see that last match race. She was the BEST filly in racing history. She would have beaten Foolish Pleasure if she hadn't broke down. In fact, she didn't give up after her breakdown.
RuffianSororityMonmouth.jpg

#5 Roman Zipper
The horse that got me interested in horse racing. I was a little too young to go to Aksarben but it seemed every time I watched the sports updates on Channel 3 at night they always mentioned Roman Zipper and showed highlights. I wish there was a good picture of this horse. Roman Zipper is actually on the outside an closing for the eventual win.
hqdefault.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News