ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Travel....again

At this point I'm kinda checking off boxes of places I haven't been. I'm kinda meh on Vietnam but Angkor Wat in Cambodia is something I'm really looking forward to. Thailand and Singapore will be more relaxation time with beaches and drinks
We have beaches and drinks here without all the vaccine and anti-malarials. Never mind all the potential water borne and ricketsial diseases.

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
So I am getting 4 shots today ....typhoid, covid, pneumococcal 20 , Japanese encephalitis ...with a Encephalitis follow-up may 29. They are also prescribing malaria pills for Vietnam and Cambodia. Tomorrow I may be literally glowing
Travel is fun but this part blows
That seems nuts, especially the Covid shot. I'm on the same page as you with travel, but no way in hell I am doing Covid.

Not into traveling at all. For those of you that love it what is it that you love about it?

For you guys, is it like it is for me and banging new chicks? Like, you just want to try/see something different?

Prague is probably my favorite place in Europe. It's what I thought Europe was in my mind. The old town castle quarter areas are so cool. Very cheap Pilsners all over too. Budapest reminded me of Prague in how it was split by the river. Found it to be very inexpensive too. I liked the palace in Vienna but it felt a bit too fancy overall as a city. Have heard Salzburg and Innsbrook are outstanding from a scenery point. If you have been to Munich a few times maybe look for something like a tour of the 72 Olympic village type deal. No clue if that even exists. Dachau is also worth a stop of you haven't. I did Egypt in 2017 as an add on because I could fly back 1st/business from Cairo to the states. Found a 3 day guided tour of the pyramids, museums, churches, markets etc. Just be careful being there on a Friday. Getting to Alexandria or Luxor would be worth your time. In Cairo we did stay at a pretty nice place right on the Nile. Link https://all.accor.com/hotel/5307/index.en.shtml

They were able to arrange a handler of sorts that got us through Customs then to and from the airport. Saved a potential headache

As far as the long travel times if you can use airline miles do it. Or at least book an exit row on the long legs. I am flying from Omaha to Ho Chi Minh for 70k miles and that gives me first/ business the whole way. That bed isn't quite long enough for me but I'm not gonna complain about my bed on a 12 hour flight. Lounge access is another perk. Don't knock am airport shower until you have tried it. Unbelievably refreshing
Prague is a Top 5 trip for me. Beautiful, walkable and very coat efficient. Some great day trips from Prague as well. Budapest was similar. Same thoughts about Vienna as you.
I’m flying to Rome tomorrow for a couple of days. Then train to Parma. Work trip but fun will be had along the way. Italy will always be my favorite destination. Historic brilliance in every region. Rome the crown jewel, Verona a hidden gem, and Pompei is a portal to 2000 years ago.

Reactions: drubendall
Growing up in the Midwest it was very monoculture. I really have always wanted to be surrounded by others that are different beliefs, languages and history. I just love going into new places and see in person what was once something in a book or on tv. I sat in Red Square Moscow a few years ago late at night and just recorded the area and it was maybe a 60 second video but there must have been 3 or 4 different languages being spoken and none were English . I just like stuff like that. This scene hit me as well.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Growing up in the Midwest it was very monoculture. I really have always wanted to be surrounded by others that are different beliefs, languages and history. I just love going into new places and see in person what was once something in a book or on tv. I sat in Red Square Moscow a few years ago late at night and just recorded the area and it was maybe a 60 second video but there must have been 3 or 4 different languages being spoken and none were English . I just like stuff like that. This scene hit me as well.

Nice!

Not something I have ever been into. I lived in Chicago most my life, so things like hearing different languages and seeing different people was just the norm.

And smart plane plans! I hate sitting in the cramped sections!

Nice!

Not something I have ever been into. I lived in Chicago most my life, so things like hearing different languages and seeing different people was just the norm.

And smart plane plans! I hate sitting in the cramped sections!
That's the ironic thing I hate flying. Like I take Xanax every now and then for it. Hate it so so much

• Haha
Reactions: Lars72 and BTF69

You could just go to South Beach and get that. And foreigners don't shut the f up either. Always running their mouth.

Outside of taking care of my family, travel is the driving force behind our retirement savings efforts. About 16 years ago, my wife and I flew into Paris and, upon arrival, walked around the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Élysée at about 9p….sun still out and we were hooked. Experience the world has been an obsession ever since.

For those that don’t like to travel, cool. Do whatever makes you happy.

That's the ironic thing I hate flying. Like I take Xanax every now and then for it. Hate it so so much
Haha!
I don't mind flying, like, it doesn't scare me or bother me...it is just SOOOOOOO BORING. Just like driving. Anything over about 3 hours kills me.

Outside of taking care of my family, travel is the driving force behind our retirement savings efforts. About 16 years ago, my wife and I flew into Paris and, upon arrival, walked around the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Élysée at about 9p….sun still out and we were hooked. Experience the world has been an obsession ever since.

For those that don’t like to travel, cool. Do whatever makes you happy.
Holy shit, you travel with your wife? On purpose??

KIDDING! KIDDING!

How ere the french fries in Paris?

I am the same way! I will definitely take my flying pill when we go to Ireland in 3 weeks.

Not into traveling at all. For those of you that love it what is it that you love about it?

For you guys, is it like it is for me and banging new chicks? Like, you just want to try/see something different?
I love everything about it except the plane ride there and even then I just have cocktails. I love the history, the architecture, the food, the drink and just seeing something different outside of the US. Back in the day I would party and have a good time with women from other countries and it is a blast. It's definitely not for everyone, but I love travelling the world.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I definitely do not have the travel bug. I think the wife has finally given up on me and is going with friends to Europe. We are going to fly into Dulles in July. Stay with her younger brother in DC for the night then drive down to North Carolina to see her mom. Stay 3 days there then drive up to Cape May, NJ. Going to a wedding involving some Nebraska friends. Beach towns are always fun and seeing old friends is always great so that should be a good time. However, I am already thinking the best part of the trip is when I pull into the garage when we get back home.

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
I definitely do not have the travel bug. I think the wife has finally given up on me and is going with friends to Europe. We are going to fly into Dulles in July. Stay with her younger brother in DC for the night then drive down to North Carolina to see her mom. Stay 3 days there then drive up to Cape May, NJ. Going to a wedding involving some Nebraska friends. Beach towns are always fun and seeing old friends is always great so that should be a good time. However, I am already thinking the best part of the trip is when I pull into the garage when we get back home.
Amen!
I find traveling so tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love drinking and partying. I just hate the travel part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT