ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Thoughts on this Forbes list?

Interesting but any such rankings always depend on the exact criteria and weighting of criteria used. What were the factors that put Omaha at the top would be what I'm interested in, (And actually I'm interested because I am planning to move to the Omaha area within the year.)

Louisville Kentucky? lmao.. it's basically an Army base

This list is basically the small pockets of remaining normal-ness left throughout the country where there is still some sort of economic activity.

As a current resident I can say without a doubt this is because of property taxes and the fever-pitch excitement for the streetcar.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Louisville was nice. Fun downtown. Went to shit like a lot of cities did near Covid. Now it’s crime-ridden. Surrounding areas are still nice

Reactions: HBK4life
Thanks Mayor Stothert, such a visionary...
Silly pet projects seem to be a trend. Our mayor(Lincoln) is big on 'affordable housing' after jacking up property taxes along with E- bikes cluttering up the town. Streets are fashioned after Beirut Lebanon. She wins elections so I guess this is what the people want.

bae come GIF

Pretty good list minus Louisville.
I would add El Paso to the delete list. Have not been there in almost 40 years but see no reason to go back. Albuquerque is supposed have a bad crime rate with nearby Santa Fe being the nicer place to live. My wife's mom and brother live in Cary, NC, a nice suburb of Raleigh. It is ok if you want to live in the South which I don't. What I appreciate most about North Carolina is how good their roads are. Living in a state, Washington, where WSDOT will spend millions and millions of dollars for a single downtown Seattle bicycle only bridge and an out in the middle of nowhere public outhouse but have not built a new highway in years I really appreciate good highways. The valley I live in has a population of over 100,000 and the only way in is by 2-lane roads. I understand there are the mountains and rivers to consider, but I think it still terrible. Oregon is the same way. Bend is a really cool town that including nearby towns has a population of well over 150,000 and just like us in the cental part of their state. Only way in is two lane roads. I-90 is 43 miles to the south of us. I keep writing to our local representatives that the state better get the road expanded to 4 lanes through land along the Columbia River and through farm country before growth prevents it from happening.

Interesting but any such rankings always depend on the exact criteria and weighting of criteria used. What were the factors that put Omaha at the top would be what I'm interested in, (And actually I'm interested because I am planning to move to the Omaha area within the year.)
Quality of the zoo. San Diego lost its pandas and fell out of the list.

Quality of the zoo. San Diego lost its pandas and fell out of the list.
Hasn't San Diego's homeless problem blown-up as well? Bill Walton who grew-up there wrote an article concerning the negative impact the homeless and their camps are having on his hometown. I've got a question. Grand Island is probably the closest Nebraska town in population to the town I live in. Does GI have much of a homeless problem? We have two city owned parking lots for broken-down RVs, a city-owned large multi-story apartment building has been built in the last 3-4 years (the city already owned 3 large low income apartment complexes), park benches along our 12-mile loop trail that runs on either side of the river have become mini-camps in the area near shelters and a well-funded and supported charity group offers 3 meals a day/7 day a week. The city has actually started this past year closing down a small city park near the shelters every night. Before this it was a tent city. We are always going to have a large transient population because of the fruit industry, but the homeless problem has gotten worse. Other than seeing them as I drive through the south-end of town or ride the loop trail it really doesn't effect my daily life.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT