ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Man in the High Castle

Huskerfan2112

Senior
Dec 7, 2009
Anyone watching this series on Amazon Prime? Amazing. Plot revolves around the US losing WW2 and being under Nazi and Japanese occupation in 1962. Worth your time if you are a history or science fiction fan, but a great drama all around so far.

Anyone watching this series on Amazon Prime? Amazing. Plot revolves around the US losing WW2 and being under Nazi and Japanese occupation in 1962. Worth your time if you are a history or science fiction fan, but a great drama all around so far.
Haven't watched it yet but really want to, ever since I saw the first promo. Actually forgot it was coming up. Will check it out!

I thought it wasn't available until November 20? I watched the first two episodes when they gave a free preview and am definitely going to watch the rest. It's already right up there with House of Cards as far as quality of the writing and acting, for a series that was developed specifically for streaming online.

ok, I'm dull...what is Amazon Prime?

If you ever shop with any frequency with Amazon.com then you need to pay the ~$99 dollars a year for Amazon Prime. With that you'll get free 2-day shipping on the majority of products for sale on Amazon. There's also Prime Video where you can watch on demand video and original series just like on Netflix. An amazing time we live in. In my metro area I can get Prime Now where many things are available in 2-hours, no extra charge for Amazon Prime members.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Thank you! I think I DO have someone in my family with Amazon Prime...I've just never bothered to figure it out...

I watched the pilot several months ago. I guess it was enough of a success that they released the whole season. I'll watch a couple more episodes. Its an interesting story line.

I will watch it after finishing Narcos on Netflix. I also want to watch a couple of other original series on Amazon Prime. So much great television these days.

So, for $8.25/month, you get free 2-day shipping on all orders and Amazon TV show programming?

So, for $8.25/month, you get free 2-day shipping on all orders and Amazon TV show programming?

Correct, but you don't pay in monthly installments...you pay the $99 all at once. It is the best deal out there, bar none.

EDIT: not necessarily 'all' orders, but the vast majority....some of Amazon's partners don't offer 2 day shipping.

Correct, but you don't pay in monthly installments...you pay the $99 all at once. It is the best deal out there, bar none.

EDIT: not necessarily 'all' orders, but the vast majority....some of Amazon's partners don't offer 2 day shipping.
Coool. One last question, is the programming pretty legit? Comparable to Netflix? More? Less?

Also you get Amazon Prime Music,
Coool. One last question, is the programming pretty legit? Comparable to Netflix? More? Less?

Very comparable, I think Netflix might be a little bit better, but both have a lot of titles. Both have very good original programming. I forgot to add, you also get Amazon Prime Music which is pretty decent...I don't use it much, though.

My experience is comparable to Netflix. Every now and then Amazon Prime will have something not found on Netflix, but it's pretty rare. The other reason I use Prime is if I want to rent something (streaming) that is older I can do it for $2-3. For example, my daughters wanted to watch Jurassic Park before Jurassic World. It wasn't at redbox or on Netflix, so I rented it for $2. Pretty nifty.

Also you get Amazon Prime Music,

Very comparable, I think Netflix might be a little bit better, but both have a lot of titles. Both have very good original programming. I forgot to add, you also get Amazon Prime Music which is pretty decent...I don't use it much, though.
Is that like a paid subscription to Spotify or Google Music?

Is that like a paid subscription to Spotify or Google Music?

Meh, not quite - I'd say it's more like iTunes in the sense you can buy songs/albums digitally .. they do have a large catalog of albums for free streaming, but I never have rally done that. I think you can build your own channels though, similar to Pandora.

Overall Netflix's programming is better, as of now. Prime Video's increasing selection on programming it's getting better. After the first two episodes of The Man in the High Castle and a few other pilots I've watched, it's going to rival Netflix.

But, Prime is the absolute devil. The free-two day shipping and 5% cash back with their store card will get you every time. Between my next door neighbors and us, we get get at least 10 amazon packages per week. Everything from cat litter/dog treats to electronics to clothes to cleaning supplies.

I don't use Prime for music or video services, those are just extra bonuses right now.

The storyline sounds like it could be really interesting, but after watching the trailer I'm wondering how sci-fi it is? There's a film reel from an alternate dimension or something?

I signed up a couple of months ago for $67 dollars. Heck yeah! Love Amazon. Great deals on products, financing and shipping. Returns are easy peasy. If I lived out in the boonies I couldn't live without it.

The storyline sounds like it could be really interesting, but after watching the trailer I'm wondering how sci-fi it is? There's a film reel from an alternate dimension or something?

It depends on how closely they follow the novel - which was written by Philip K Dick (who wrote the stories that were adapted to the movies Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.). The original novel is kind of confusing as it has a lot of different viewpoints and deals with alternate realities. Basically, the characters discover a book saying that the Allies won the war and the UK became the dominant superpower - so the reader is left to question which is the "real" reality and if they are also living in a "fake" reality.

Reactions: huskerj12

Yep....its fantastic but maybe don't let your wife know. The free 2 day shipping may result in a package being on the door steps more days than not.

Netflix original programming is superior to Prime, but Prime has HBO if you don't already have HBOGO (if you don't, what is wrong with you? HBO original programming is incredible!!).

I did not renew Amazon Prime this year. While the 2 day shipping is great, there are more and more products on their site that are not "Prime" eligible, and I have found many of those sellers ship right away, so the benefit was negligible.

As to the Prime Video, I thought it was pretty bad. Netflix had way more content when I was with that service a couple of years ago. The Prime featured videos list barely seemed to budge throughout most of the year. So after you have watched everything on the featured list, it was pretty easy for me to lose interest in their video offerings.

Speaking of Amazon Prime, this came to my Inbox today....

Prime Members: New Features in the Amazon Music Android App

Amazon Music Android App Features
sp.gif

As an Android user, you may be interested in the following features of the Amazon Music Android App including Stations, SD card support, X-Ray lyrics, and more. Learn more
sp.gif

sp.gif

Stations
sp.gif

Enjoy an ad-free, internet radio service. Find a genre or artist and hit play to hear a continuous stream of music that you can pause, replay, or skip as many times as you'd like. Give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down and each station will adapt to you.
sp.gif

sp.gif

chevt.png

sp.gif

sp.gif

sp.gif

SD Card Support
sp.gif

You can now download Prime Music to your SD card. Enjoy more data-free offline playback and free up precious device storage space.
sp.gif

sp.gif

chevb.gif

sp.gif

X-Ray Lyrics
sp.gif

Follow along to the lyrics of your favorite songs with X-Ray Lyrics.
sp.gif

sp.gif

chevt.png

sp.gif

sp.gif

sp.gif

New to Prime
sp.gif

An easy place to see all of the great new music added to Prime Music.
sp.gif

sp.gif

chevb.gif

sp.gif

Artist Pages
sp.gif

Your one stop shop to see top songs, albums, stations, similar artists, photos, and much more for your favorite artists.
sp.gif

sp.gif

chevt.png

sp.gif

Amazon Music Apps
sp.gif

sp.gif

Listen, shop, and discover music on your devices. Enjoy your music anywhere without having to sync or transfer.
sp.gif

Learn more
sp.gif

chevb.gif

sp.gif

sp.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT