ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Obesity rate by country over time

worth pointing out that their metric for obesity qualifies this guy as nearly morbidly obese

donald-aaron-1024x692.jpg
I can assure you 40% of Americans don’t look like this

For athletes yes, not everyday Americans
discounts the popularity of weightlifting, which is more popular in the USA than running, hiking, and cycling.

i agree there are way too many people with high bf%, but gym culture is huge in the US compared to other countries.

Reactions: Swiv3D
discounts the popularity of weightlifting, which is more popular in the USA than running, hiking, and cycling.

i agree there are way too many people with high bf%, but gym culture is huge in the US compared to other countries.
True. And I’m sure fake titties give a false bmi reading as well

• Haha
Reactions: thall_
In 1990, Mississippi, the fattest state then and now, had an obesity rate of 15% of the adult population.
In 2020, Colorado, the fittest state then and now, had an obesity rate of 24% of the adult population.

Nutty 30 years.
Cigarettes are an appetite suppressant so you’re probably not wrong

Reactions: 9and4
Sugar in EVERYTHING. Food it has no business being in. EVERYTHING is sweetened here. Even our desserts are sweeter than most other countries.
Add in you have to drive for everything vs walking to a train station etc.
It's not necessarily laziness. We are made this way.
In Europe, they ban most of the harmful stuff that the US FDA allows in our food. I once saw a photo of what orange juice looks like in Europe next to what orange juice looks like here.

They looked like two completely different drinks.

In Europe, they ban most of the harmful stuff that the US FDA allows in our food. I once saw a photo of what orange juice looks like in Europe next to what orange juice looks like here.

They looked like two completely different drinks.
I think your talking about orange soda. Orange juice is orange juice. But look up orange soda. In Europe, they require at least 10% fruit juice, plus none of the food coloring that they consider to be toxic.

I think your talking about orange soda. Orange juice is orange juice. But look up orange soda. In Europe, they require at least 10% fruit juice, plus none of the food coloring that they consider to be toxic.
Speaking of orange juice, you should see how we make that product. It’s pretty vile.

Over 40%?? Really America??
Turns out if lots of people sit around much and eat fake and fast food (while periodically heading to WalMart in PJs, apparently), it’ll show! Not a good look. Went to Rome in 2010 and the lack of fatness was very notable.

Everyone eats way too many carbs and fillers to use it all for energy unless you work out HARD. If you have a good metabolism you just shit most of that out, but you are putting that system into overdrive.

Go on a keto diet and you will decrease your shitting by 70%. That’s how you know most of what you’re eating is almost literally “bullshit” that you don’t need.

Turns out if lots of people sit around much and eat fake and fast food (while periodically heading to WalMart in PJs, apparently), it’ll show! Not a good look. Went to Rome in 2010 and the lack of fatness was very notable.
Rome would surprise me on that. We went to Thailand in 2015 and I don’t recall seeing a single person who was even slightly overweight. Was amazing. Rice is a healthier carb than bread/sugar and it shows.

Another bs line I hear a lot is “poor people are fat because eating healthy is too expensive.” Back in my broke days I lived off of chicken breast & frozen veggies. Eating healthy is not expensive. Buying “healthy” versions of unhealthy food is expensive and spoiler alert.. these foods are still unhealthy

Another bs line I hear a lot is “poor people are fat because eating healthy is too expensive.” Back in my broke days I lived off of chicken breast & frozen veggies. Eating healthy is not expensive. Buying “healthy” versions of unhealthy food is expensive and spoiler alert.. these foods are still unhealthy
I agree. Is buying a dozen apples more expensive than buying a mega box of Pop Tarts? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean apples are expensive.

Someone I office with, who is extremely overweight, does say (not complain) that eating healthy is more expensive, but then I see her nearly every morning with a medium Scooters Caramelicious. Which is what, $6 or so? Insane.

As others have said, eat real food-meats and vegetables. Adjust carbs (fruit or starchy vegetables) to your activity level that day. If you’re going to sit on your ass all day- no carbs. Eat until you’re r reasonably full, get a gram of protein per pound of ideal weight.
No fried foods. Don’t t use food as a drug-something you take to change your mood that you will regret later.

Reactions: WHCSC
I agree. Is buying a dozen apples more expensive than buying a mega box of Pop Tarts? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean apples are expensive.

Someone I office with, who is extremely overweight, does say (not complain) that eating healthy is more expensive, but then I see her nearly every morning with a medium Scooters Caramelicious. Which is what, $6 or so? Insane.
8pdoi2.jpg

I disagree with your first comment. Apples are cheaper than pop tarts. You can get a 3 lb bag for about $3

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
8pdoi2.jpg

I disagree with your first comment. Apples are cheaper than pop tarts. You can get a 3 lb bag for about $3
I got $3.86 for apples and $12.88 for a 48 pack for Pop Tarts, both at Walmart.

You know how people are. They see 48 Pop Tarts ($0.27 per Pop tart) as a better deal than 8 apples ($0.48 per apple).

Even if my apples / Pop Tart example isn't the best one, my point is that the processed crap is generally cheaper than the healthy stuff. Again, that doesn't mean the healthy stuff is expensive.

You know how people are. They see 48 Pop Tarts ($0.27 per Pop tart) as a better deal than 8 apples ($0.48 per apple).

Even if my apples / Pop Tart example isn't the best one, my point is that the processed crap is generally cheaper than the healthy stuff. Again, that doesn't mean the healthy stuff is expensive.
I can assure you fat, poor and stupid people aren’t doing the math you just did. They get the pop tarts because they like them

Bingo. Drop the fatties on a deserted island with Wilson. No McDonald's or pop. Fruits, fish, veggies and water. I guarantee they will lose weight.

Eating less is also cheaper.😂

You want to know where the fatties come from, thank a corn farmer. WebMD:

High-fructose corn syrup was introduced in the 1970s. It has the same calories as other added sugars. High-fructose corn syrup is cheaper than sugar, with better flavor enhancement and longer shelf life. It’s more stable and consistent, especially in acidic foods and drinks.

As a result, high-fructose corn syrup went from 1% of sweeteners in the U.S. in the 1970s to 42% by 2004. From 1977 to 1978, the average American consumed about 37 grams of fructose per day. In 2008, this jumped to 54.7 grams, about 10.2% of total daily calories. The number was even higher in teenagers, at 72.8 grams per day.

One way to look at it is to decide if spending a little more now on healthy food is a better alternative than the money you’ll spend on healthcare later, in addition to shortened lifespan and quality of life.

High-fructose corn syrup was introduced in the 1970s. It has the same calories as other added sugars. High-fructose corn syrup is cheaper than sugar, with better flavor enhancement and longer shelf life. It’s more stable and consistent, especially in acidic foods and drinks.

As a result, high-fructose corn syrup went from 1% of sweeteners in the U.S. in the 1970s to 42% by 2004. From 1977 to 1978, the average American consumed about 37 grams of fructose per day. In 2008, this jumped to 54.7 grams, about 10.2% of total daily calories. The number was even higher in teenagers, at 72.8 grams per day.
and fructose is just as bad as alcohol on the liver

Reactions: GaRed

Sorry but the absolute worst strategy for combating obesity is to keep giving everyone the idea that it's someone else's fault they are overweight. People aren't carrying around extra LBs because "big agriculture" tricked them into eating more. Grocery stores are not loaded up with unhealthy items for any reason other than that's what customers want to buy. People don't live in "food deserts" because grocers are conspiring against them, they live in food deserts because the consumer dollars in those areas are spent at fast food joints and convenience stores, so the grocery business isn't profitable there.

I'm about 10 pounds overweight and have been for a few years. My diet isn't the worst, but it's not great. I exercise more than most people, but not as much as I should. Although I try to limit my time staring at screens, it's still way, way, way too high. In summary, I'm a bit overweight entirely because of my own choices and my own decisions. If only I could convince myself otherwise, maybe I could balloon up to 300 pounds and declare myself a helpless victim.

No, I worked in produce during college.
If you buy red delicious, don't.
Buy Fuji, braeburn, or honey crisp when available. Your taste buds will thank me.
While all apples are nutritious and should be a part of one's everyday diet (unless you have an allergy, of course), Red Delicious are the most nutritious variety because of the darkness of their skin. They have more polyphenolic compounds than most other apples, making the skin darker and more nutritious than slightly lighter colored apples.

I don't buy red delicious, though. Trader Joe's has these really good CosmicCrisps from Washington. Mmm.

While all apples are nutritious and should be a part of one's everyday diet (unless you have an allergy, of course), Red Delicious are the most nutritious variety because of the darkness of their skin. They have more polyphenolic compounds than most other apples, making the skin darker and more nutritious than slightly lighter colored apples.

I don't buy red delicious, though. Trader Joe's has these really good CosmicCrisps from Washington. Mmm.
I always go with the Cosmic apples. Good stuff.

Reactions: 9and4

Give me a fvcking break. Corn farmers aren’t holding a gun to fat bastards’ heads forcing them to eat more. Take some accountability for your actions. I know blaming others is popular today especially in your political circles but grow a pair and take some responsibility

Last edited:

You sound like the politician who blames carmakers because thiefs steal their cars, or the convenience store because they have to close due to all the theft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT