ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Michigan's Juwan Howard fired

Must be because he's black. :rolleyes:

c0967374-8b8a-4c0a-a1a0-82782c282df1_text.gif

This was not any suprise of the day like Alberts leaving for AtM.

Next year Meechigan will have a new Football and Basketball Coaches…

Reactions: huskerfan66
Further evidence (as if we needed any) that elevating a douche to the position of head coach never reduces their douche level.

It simply means you now have a high profile douche.
but somehow the opposite is true - umm, like haase who just got axed at stanford or how about oSu canning mike boynton. always interesting how people find crevices to insert their nonsense that has zero to due with anything other than personal venom. this from a fan of bo. good grief.

It worked pretty well for Hoiberg at Iowa State

Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Bill Self haven't done too bad for former players. Hell, even Matt Painter isn't too shabby as coach up at Purdue.

How many coaches are there that AREN'T former players?

As with almost any sport, success as a player seems to be inversely related to being a poor coach as to where being a contributor and role player is to being a great coach.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
For real though, who is the bag of shit that asks that question. It’s called expectations and performance lard ass. What an awful person.

...and Jawn just sat there and lapped it up. If he had an ounce of integrity he would have stopped him in mid sentence and state he was disappointed in the decision but understood it, as Michigan has high expectations and he just fell short. But nooooo, had to go full douche.

Last edited:
Further evidence (as if we needed any) that elevating a douche to the position of head coach never reduces their douche level.

It simply means you now have a high profile douche.
Howard should have been fired after punching that opposing coach awhile back. But I guess thta's just the Michigan way. He was a true "Michigan Man."

Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Bill Self haven't done too bad for former players. Hell, even Matt Painter isn't too shabby as coach up at Purdue.

As with almost any sport, success as a player seems to be inversely related to being a poor coach as to where being a contributor and role player is to being a great coach.

Yep...role players make the best coaches.

Hard to teach natural talent

"As with almost any sport, success as a player seems to be inversely related to being a poor coach as to where being a contributor and role player is to being a great coach."

Cut to year 2035:

AD Trevor Alberts back after BOR is cleaned out: "I want to announce Fred Hoiberg's replacement is Sam Hoiberg as the new Husker Basketball head coach"

dXQ49C.gif

...and Jawn just sat there and lapped it up. If he had an ounce of integrity he would have stopped him in mid sentence and state he was disappointed in the decision but understood it, as Michigan has high expectations and he just fell short. But nooooo, had to go full douche.
While I'm not a fan of Howard, he looked about as stunned as anyone by the stupidity of the question. While he certainly could have shouted down the clown who asked it and chose not to, Howard's response was not terrible. It's about what you would expect from someone who's about to be looking for a new job and doesn't want to create any new controversy:

Q. There’s three Black coaches in this conference and throughout the season. Each one of you has been put on a hot seat by the white media. I’m hoping that you survive this because we know Black coaches sometimes don’t. But can you speak on just the fact that the three of you are doing the job that you’ve been hired to do, representing as coaches. There was Black kids in the stands today that got to see you coach and will see the other two Black coaches during this tournament. Can you just speak on that.

JUWAN HOWARD: Well, I got into coaching because I remember how my coaches impacted me as I grew. When I touched — let’s call it what it is. When I first touched campus on the University of Michigan, how Steve Fisher and his staff helped me in so many ways to become a graduate student at one of the prestigious universities, speaking of the University of Michigan.

Coming as a kid from the inner city, being the first in my family to receive my degree. Promising my grandmother, no matter what, my goal is to make it to the NBA and take care of our family, but I promise you I’m going to get my education to inspire my family members and also others that come from our community that they can do the same thing.

Now fast track, this is, I’ve always said to you guys, a dream job to be able to impact these young men, to encourage them, to grow with them, to teach them how to come from a young man to a man during some of these uncomfortable times in our society.

I relish the fact that, yeah, there are always going to be moments where everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I’m not going to please everyone. But I’m going to, of course, roll up my sleeves and be inspired to work hard every day to make sure that I’m responsible to do a job to help our university be proud of a winning culture. We’re going to get back to that, and that’s my goal, and I’m going to stick to it.

There have been coaches that have really inspired me to go out and do something special during this college game, and I look back to the John Thompsons of the world. I also am inspired by the Mike Jarvises of the world and many others.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT