ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf Training Aids

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
So after almost 2 decades of a bad work schedule and kids' activities caused me to put the clubs away, I'm trying to get back into golfing. I'm assuming there are some experienced golfers on this board? Any recommendations on training aids, or are any worth it? I've seen Orange Whip, Club Face CF40, Medics. etc, etc.

take a series of lessons with a PGA professional and practice between lessons. They will give you some drills that will help you swing the club correctly. Bad habits are hard to break!

Reactions: iCRUNCH
A few lessons couldnt hurt. If you want to do it on your own, Harvey Pennick's little red book. Simple yet great drills for the range and more importantly chipping green.

Check out the Golf Fix with Michael Breed on the golf channel, Monday's at 6:00 I think. He's really good, and has a bunch of creative drills using found items. The only actual training device I've used is the Inside Approach, from Golf Digest. It's not bad.

Also if you have lost some club head speed due to age dont be too proud to acknowledge it. Play the appropriate ball and get a set of clubs with graphite shafts in regular or senior if you need it. Also consider a set that has hybrid all the way to at least 6 iron maybe even 7 iron being the first iron in the set.

Also if you have lost some club head speed due to age dont be too proud to acknowledge it. Play the appropriate ball and get a set of clubs with graphite shafts in regular or senior if you need it. Also consider a set that has hybrid all the way to at least 6 iron maybe even 7 iron being the first iron in the set.
Great advice. My number one thing is stretch like a mad man. Even yoga will help. In my late 20s I was a 7. Now I am lucky to be a bogey golfer, due to barely playing and taking until around hole 8 to feel good with my swing. If you have the time, good for you! Range it up like it's your job, but make it fun.

I am certainly not to proud to admit it. Went to the range for the 2nd day in a row. Hit much better, however, I'm certainly not hitting as far as I did in my 20s. Very depressing. I'm getting back into the game because I'm getting my 15 year old into it, and it's obvious that once he gets the hang of it, he going to out drive me easily.

I've been looking at a set of graphite irons and hybrids. Swung a "senior" shaft 3 times in store and loved it. Just making sure it's right for me before I spend the cash.

While I was looking at clubs I messed with an "Orange Whip." I think I might actually get one.

Any more suggestions are appreciated. Going to check out the golf channel.

Check out the Golf Fix with Michael Breed on the golf channel, Monday's at 6:00 I think. He's really good, and has a bunch of creative drills using found items. The only actual training device I've used is the Inside Approach, from Golf Digest. It's not bad.

Havent heard of Inside Approach. I'll have to check that one out.

Great advice. My number one thing is stretch like a mad man. Even yoga will help. In my late 20s I was a 7. Now I am lucky to be a bogey golfer, due to barely playing and taking until around hole 8 to feel good with my swing. If you have the time, good for you! Range it up like it's your job, but make it fun.

Oh yea, didn't stretch enough before and after tonight. The back is feeling it.

I am certainly not to proud to admit it. Went to the range for the 2nd day in a row. Hit much better, however, I'm certainly not hitting as far as I did in my 20s. Very depressing. I'm getting back into the game because I'm getting my 15 year old into it, and it's obvious that once he gets the hang of it, he going to out drive me easily.

I've been looking at a set of graphite irons and hybrids. Swung a "senior" shaft 3 times in store and loved it. Just making sure it's right for me before I spend the cash.

While I was looking at clubs I messed with an "Orange Whip." I think I might actually get one.

Any more suggestions are appreciated. Going to check out the golf channel.
Ill put a suggestion in yet again for Harvey Pennicks little red book. Great read. Mostly short anecdotes from his days. But great ideas about how the swing should feel etc. Not so robotic and formulaic like some teach the swing now.

For clubs may I suggest Tour Edge Exotics. Great clubs that arent well known. Also if you really want steel shafts and want to maybe reshaft your own clubs, may I suggest Nippon 750 or 850 ultralite steel shafts. Pricey at approx $35 per shaft but VERY light for steel.

I myself play older Tour Edge Exotics EX-1 irons. Come stock with nippon shafts and are GREAT for a decent player who has no business playing muscleback blades or smallish cavity backs.

Lastly a potentially worthless tip. If you have sweaty hands when you play, regrip all your clubs with some full cord grips like Golf Pride Z grips. When I started out playing i was clueless to the benefits of cords for sweaty guys and had crappy Winn grips spinning and slipping in my hands all the time.

Have fun and awesome on getting your son in the game. Hope to be doing that myself in a number of years.

Ill put a suggestion in yet again for Harvey Pennicks little red book. Great read. Mostly short anecdotes from his days. But great ideas about how the swing should feel etc. Not so robotic and formulaic like some teach the swing now.

For clubs may I suggest Tour Edge Exotics. Great clubs that arent well known. Also if you really want steel shafts and want to maybe reshaft your own clubs, may I suggest Nippon 750 or 850 ultralite steel shafts. Pricey at approx $35 per shaft but VERY light for steel.

I myself play older Tour Edge Exotics EX-1 irons. Come stock with nippon shafts and are GREAT for a decent player who has no business playing muscleback blades or smallish cavity backs.

Lastly a potentially worthless tip. If you have sweaty hands when you play, regrip all your clubs with some full cord grips like Golf Pride Z grips. When I started out playing i was clueless to the benefits of cords for sweaty guys and had crappy Winn grips spinning and slipping in my hands all the time.

Have fun and awesome on getting your son in the game. Hope to be doing that myself in a number of years.
I have EX-1 in my bag. I love Tour Edge.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT