ADVERTISEMENT

OL Changes Coming?

Ur not being serious here right?

BC was a college coach his first 14years of coaching EVER before getting an NFL gig, and only had coached in the NFL for 8yrs before getting the NU gig.
From 1990-1994 he coached at Wisky..u know a place w tradition that closely resembles NU..?

So to say he was uncomfortable coaching at the college level and about college traditions is actually pretty comical..of u think about it.

Now he "might" have been uncomfortable as a HEAD coach since he had only done that for 2yrs total prior to the NU gig..and that is probably more of where his uneasiness may have been..

But uneasiness about coaching in college or becuz of NU traditions? Ur barking up the wrong tree there..

Sorry..
He just didn't handle dealing with the media, fans and the likes of certain former player hangers on.

Bill C was a terrible fit here. He should have never been hired, and he shouldn't have been kept around any longer than he was. Anything else is revisionist history and doesn't really need to be rehashed.
Bad fit but who would haven't have been after Pedie ran Frank out? Was Bo a good fit for the state of Nebraska? Not really. The WCO offense blended with the zone read option game that was in place with Beck was working. What wasn't working was the defense and Bill's ties to Pedie. Callahan is a good coach. Better fit probably for a program like USC. IMO, he would have USC winning within 2 years and contending for national titles within 4 years given their location and recruiting base. I think he's happy doing what he's doing now though. Just an out of the limelight O line and run game NFL coach. No fan or media drama for him to deal with. No crazy former players lighting him up in his office hallway.

I take it you weren't on this board and didn't listen to call in talk radio back then. Of course the same thing is happening to a lesser degree to Frost right now. Two years ago Chinander was getting accused of being gay and Frost's lover on this board.

Well, there is always going to be a few outliers that will take things more personally especially those that will call in to talk radio shows. Lol. That is gonna be a minority opinion though compared to the overall majority. But the overall majority opinion on BC was people didn't have a problem w his personality, just his results and his loyalty to Coz which many saw as our albatross standing in the way of winning more games.

As to the other part of ur post about SF? Let's just say it wouldn't shock me one bit to find out that he was. I have kinda suspected he may be for a few years now..
And it wouldn't be Chin as his GL it would be MD...

Ur not being serious here right?

BC was a college coach his first 14years of coaching EVER before getting an NFL gig, and only had coached in the NFL for 8yrs before getting the NU gig.
From 1990-1994 he coached at Wisky..u know a place w tradition that closely resembles NU..?

So to say he was uncomfortable coaching at the college level and about college traditions is actually pretty comical..of u think about it.

Now he "might" have been uncomfortable as a HEAD coach since he had only done that for 2yrs total prior to the NU gig..and that is probably more of where his uneasiness may have been..

But uneasiness about coaching in college or becuz of NU traditions? Ur barking up the wrong tree there..

Sorry..
Everything you wrote makes sense... unless you actually are talking about reality and the fact that he was not comfortable here and has spent every minute of the rest of his career in the NFL where he wants to be. It was a marriage of convenience, he needed a job and we got turned away by our first 5-6 choices. Neither side liked the other much, and I don't care what revisionist history you come up with.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Bad fit but who would haven't have been after Pedie ran Frank out? Was Bo a good fit for the state of Nebraska? Not really. The WCO offense blended with the zone read option game that was in place with Beck was working. What wasn't working was the defense and Bill's ties to Pedie. Callahan is a good coach. Better fit probably for a program like USC. IMO, he would have USC winning within 2 years and contending for national titles within 4 years given their location and recruiting base. I think he's happy doing what he's doing now though. Just an out of the limelight O line and run game NFL coach. No fan or media drama for him to deal with. No crazy former players lighting him up in his office hallway.

Honestly, I dont know but I think BCs biggest problem is just that he is not cut out to be a HC at any lvl really.

There are some coaches who are not great HCs but are fabulous position coaches or coordinators, I think BC falls Into the latter category. In fact I would pay him big $$ to come back to NU just to coach the oline and that's it..we know he can recruit it, and we certainly know he can coach it at an elite level.

And does he still have his house out in NE or did he sell it yet?

Hmmm

Everything you wrote makes sense... unless you actually are talking about reality and the fact that he was not comfortable here and has spent every minute of the rest of his career in the NFL where he wants to be. It was a marriage of convenience, he needed a job and we got turned away by our first 5-6 choices. Neither side liked the other much, and I don't care what revisionist history you come up with.
No revisionist history here, BC was a highly thought of Oline coach and he certainly had job offers in the NFL to coach that position (or others), but he wanted (as most coaches do) to try and take more of a shot at an HC job (that the Raiders job didn't allow him to) and he thought he was ready and able to do it.

So let's not get it twisted that BC had zero offers and he just clung to the NU job out of desperation, cuz that was certainly not the case..HE CHOSE NU willingly, even if he was not OUR 1st choice at the time. BC was fired from the Raiders on Dec 30th, and we hired him 9 days later..after he interviewed w us on Jan 7th..a week after he was fired.

So so much for him sitting around desperate for work huh? 🙄

BC is just not one of those coaches who is cut out to be the head guy, he is much more valuable as a position coach, specifically the Oline as he is an elite Oline coach..

Last edited:
No revisionist history here, BC was a highly thought of Oline coach and he certainly had job offers in the NFL to coach that position (or others), but he wanted (as most coaches do) to try and take more of a shot at an HC job (that the Raiders job didn't allow him to) and he thought he was ready and able to do it.

So let's not get it twisted that BC had zero offers and he just clung to the NU job out of desperation, cuz that was certainly not the case..HE CHOSE NU willingly, even if he was not OUR 1st choice at the time. BC was fired from the Raiders on Dec 30th, and we hired him 9 days later..after he interviewed w us on Jan 7th..a week after he was fired.

So so much for him sitting around desperate for work huh? 🙄

BC is just not one of those coaches who is cut out to be the head guy, he is much more valuable as a position coach, specifically the Oline as he is an elite Oline coach..
Name one other head coaching position you're aware of that he was offered at the time. He took our job because it fell in his lap due to our stellar AD falling on his face. He was not in demand as a head coach and took the best job available DESPITE the fact that he did not want to be here.

Reactions: bshirt73
im confused a bit. Wasnt Beck a coach under Bo? This makes it sound like he coached under BC. Watson was BC's OC

Reactions: dinglefritz
They had already made one change benching Piper and when a player has a zero grade in pass pro, it's probably time to make a change there too.

Do you really think that they aren't coaching the players and are just telling them to be more nasty? You seem to be taking a small quote completely out of context. It's not an either/or situation. They need to play their assignments and play with some aggression.

Personally I think we are overdue for some changes on the OL and I hope it turns out like it did when the shuffled the line in 2018, when they moved Farmer to Center.
Yeah, I do think they aren't coaching, or teaching, as otherwise we wouldn't be in this position. Just shuffling guys around may not solve the problem, and if it does, then it tells you that they didn't get the right grouping together during spring ball and fall camp.

When Scott tells the media that he wants to see more attitude, that's not the trouble we are experiencing right now. The attitude is there, knowing the assignment and what to do, is what is missing.

So yeah, coach the actual assignments, explain it in detail, then rep the hell out of it.

There is no reason to be nearly halfway during the season and then all of a sudden now tinkering with the line.

Either way you want to slice it, the coaches have failed the Oline either by not teaching it, or by not having the right guys in the right positions.

A passing WCO is the furthest thing from the Solich option offense. It was beyond stupid to bring in a guy like that and try to change our offense so drastically overnight. That stupid decision probably cost us the 2004 and 2005 seasons. It looked like he was getting things turned around by the 2006 season. But then he completely choked during the 2007 season. He was married to Keller until he got injured, and he lost the team which are two areas suggesting we had more problems than just the DC. Pelini was a much better coach and that's proven in the record. Then again, I'm tired of rehashing this because at a blue blood program, we should be able to do better than all of the coaches we had since the post-TO era.

Then again, I'm tired of rehashing this because at a blue blood program, we should be able to do better than all of the coaches we had since the post-TO era.
It's hard to believe, isn't it? Every single coach we've hired since TO ended up being a guy that literally no P5 or NFL team was remotely interested in as a head coach. That's pretty hard to do.

Yeah, I do think they aren't coaching, or teaching, as otherwise we wouldn't be in this position. Just shuffling guys around may not solve the problem, and if it does, then it tells you that they didn't get the right grouping together during spring ball and fall camp.

When Scott tells the media that he wants to see more attitude, that's not the trouble we are experiencing right now. The attitude is there, knowing the assignment and what to do, is what is missing.

So yeah, coach the actual assignments, explain it in detail, then rep the hell out of it.

There is no reason to be nearly halfway during the season and then all of a sudden now tinkering with the line.

Either way you want to slice it, the coaches have failed the Oline either by not teaching it, or by not having the right guys in the right positions.
I've been squawking about the OL play for 3 weeks now. At a minimum, this is a pattern emerging with the OL in regards to protecting AM:

SACKS: Sub Power 5 teams Fordham (1) Buffalo (0).
Power 5 teams: ILL (5) OU (5) MSU (7).

It's logical that opposing DC's and defensive staff continue to find ways on film to expose certain OL for NU. The weaker they are, the more snaps they get, the more their weaknesses are exposed and capitalized on.

Piss poor OL coaching has allowed these kids to be exposed. Now, every OL at every level has strengths and weaknesses. Good defensive coaches prey on those weaknesses.

Looks to me like the OL coaches are hanging these kids out to dry and the coaches are oblivious to it.

I've been squawking about the OL play for 3 weeks now. At a minimum, this is a pattern emerging with the OL in regards to protecting AM:

SACKS: Sub Power 5 teams Fordham (1) Buffalo (0).
Power 5 teams: ILL (5) OU (5) MSU (7).

It's logical that opposing DC's and defensive staff continue to find ways on film to expose certain OL for NU. The weaker they are, the more snaps they get, the more their weaknesses are exposed and capitalized on.

Piss poor OL coaching has allowed these kids to be exposed. Now, every OL at every level has strengths and weaknesses. Good defensive coaches prey on those weaknesses.

Looks to me like the OL coaches are hanging these kids out to dry and the coaches are oblivious to it.
While this is no doubt true, some of those sacks wouldn’t have happened if AM gets rid of the ball sooner. Some of his worst sacks are due to him not pulling the trigger.

Those sacks where he doesn’t have time are on the line. But he doesn’t always do his line any favors either.

Honestly, I dont know but I think BCs biggest problem is just that he is not cut out to be a HC at any lvl really.

There are some coaches who are not great HCs but are fabulous position coaches or coordinators, I think BC falls Into the latter category. In fact I would pay him big $$ to come back to NU just to coach the oline and that's it..we know he can recruit it, and we certainly know he can coach it at an elite level.

And does he still have his house out in NE or did he sell it yet?

Hmmm
They sold the house years ago. Somebody i know well actually looked at and considered buying it...;)

Reactions: Boiler_B
While this is no doubt true, some of those sacks wouldn’t have happened if AM gets rid of the ball sooner. Some of his worst sacks are due to him not pulling the trigger.

Those sacks where he doesn’t have time are on the line. But he doesn’t always do his line any favors either.
Agree tim. It's a cluster.

Reactions: timnsun
Name one other head coaching position you're aware of that he was offered at the time. He took our job because it fell in his lap due to our stellar AD falling on his face. He was not in demand as a head coach and took the best job available DESPITE the fact that he did not want to be here.

I NEVER said he was offered another HC position, I said he had plenty of NFL position coach job offers..cuz u said he was desperate for work.. He wasn't, he had NFL job offers, was only unemployed for 9 days before we hired him. So he wasn't even desperate for work at all..lol

BC CHOSE NU over NFL position coach Jobs, cuz he still wanted a shot make a name for himself as an HC. But he certainly didn't chose NU out of any form of desperation as u are trying to make a case as such.

Reactions: bshirt73

Yep, we have seen several screen shots and vids ITT where some sacks happened just vs MSU that could have been avoided just by letting the ball go quicker to wide open dudes...

I mean just the few misses ITT cost us points, and likely the game..

I would rather have AM make more of the everyday pedestrian throws and reads better and have less of the athletic whirling dervish plays he makes..we would score more points and it would open up more things offensively for us...

Reactions: timnsun
It's hard to believe, isn't it? Every single coach we've hired since TO ended up being a guy that literally no P5 or NFL team was remotely interested in as a head coach. That's pretty hard to do.
I think that's in part because the boosters and fans would prefer someone from the relatively barren Osborne coaching tree (or some kind of NU/Osborne legacy).
We may finally be getting past that in the not so distant future.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
New tackles and a new guard for this week. (Shhhh, don't tell anyone).
I'm not sure that is as smart of a move as some might think. I can see giving other people a look but man rolling out 3 new starters to take most of the snaps seems like desperation that could backfire. At times we had huge holes for our RB or QB to run through. It was just inconsistency and poor play mainly by one OT that had me concerned. None of these guys are going to make their blocks on every play especially the young OTs. I'm not optimistic that changing bodies out there changes the result. I think it's a coaching problem.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I'm not sure that is as smart of a move as some might think. I can see giving other people a look but man rolling out 3 new starters to take most of the snaps seems like desperation that could backfire. At times we had huge holes for our RB or QB to run through. It was just inconsistency and poor play mainly by one OT that had me concerned. None of these guys are going to make their blocks on every play especially the young OTs. I'm not optimistic that changing bodies out there changes the result. I think it's a coaching problem.
I agree dingle, typically a coach would replace one guy this week, then "maybe" another guy next week, then wait about 2 weeks and "maybe" insert the third guy. If two new tackles and a guard is TRUE, it suggest several things could be in play. I won't suggest it cause it's fairly cynical.

As far as if it could backfire, again, I agree. It could also cause a very large backlash, if, by some miracle, this newer unit would show a realized improvement over the previous starters.

Should that happen, and it's not likely, it would surely give rise to the questions of w#f were Austin and Frost doing all spring, fall practice and 5 games so far this season?

In a game vs. NW that NU "should" win it almost says, "SF, you must win."
Because none of us know the contents of SF and TA discussions, who is to say that TA told him that he has to finish .500 or there's nothing Trev can do.

I think there are a bunch of reasons, other than the obvious, as to why SF has jumped in with both feet at this juncture of the season. I think any of us can come up with lots of reasons why this knee jerk reaction, IF the changes are true.

If not true, then at least I can blame dingle for sending me down this path.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
I agree dingle, typically a coach would replace one guy this week, then "maybe" another guy next week, then wait about 2 weeks and "maybe" insert the third guy. If two new tackles and a guard is TRUE, it suggest several things could be in play. I won't suggest it cause it's fairly cynical.

As far as if it could backfire, again, I agree. It could also cause a very large backlash, if, by some miracle, this newer unit would show a realized improvement over the previous starters.

Should that happen, and it's not likely, it would surely give rise to the questions of w#f were Austin and Frost doing all spring, fall practice and 5 games so far this season?

Because none of us know the contents of SF and TA discussions, who is to say that TA told him that he has to finish .500 or there's nothing Trev can do.

I think there are a bunch of reasons, other than the obvious, as to why SF has jumped in with both feet at this juncture of the season. I think any of us can come up with lots of reasons why this knee jerk reaction, IF the changes are true.

Piper completely sucks. Sichterman's as slow as a grandma. Corcoran can't pass block on the outside. It's obvious what the solution is. It's to replace those guys who obviously can't do what you need them to do. Replacing Piper was a start, but we need to put Corcoran on the inside, play Teddy at LT, and move Hixson or Noulli over to replace Sichterman. I'll chalk Benhart's MSU performance up to just one bad game, but if he continues to be a problem, we can replace him as well. The solution isn't to do nothing and hope things get better. That's been a staple of Frost's tenure here. And guess what, not fixing things that are obviously broken isn't going to lead to the results you want.

Piper completely sucks. Sichterman's as slow as a grandma. Corcoran can't pass block on the outside. It's obvious what the solution is. It's to replace those guys who obviously can't do what you need them to do. Replacing Piper was a start, but we need to put Corcoran on the inside, play Teddy at LT, and move Hixson or Noulli over to replace Sichterman. I'll chalk Benhart's MSU performance up to just one bad game, but if he continues to be a problem, we can replace him as well. The solution isn't to do nothing and hope things get better. That's been a staple of Frost's tenure here. And guess what, not fixing things that are obviously broken isn't going to lead to the results you want.
I've been advocating OL position changes since the first day I joined this site, which I think was Sep 6 or so. I also said Benhart should be benched. Benhart has had more than one bad game.

The last 3 sentences you wrote is essentially what I've been saying since Day 1 on this site. The coaches trying to install players in a position that they have zero physical characteristics needed for the job has led this team to this pathetic OL.

I said early, NU has 20 offensive linemen on this roster. Cam is a standout among this group. Teddy has great potential, way more than Benhart will ever have. Piper just isn't ready for some period of time. Hixson and Sicht are both slower than molasses, and I 've said that multiple times.

My opinion matters not to anyone. I would like to see Noulli have a legitimate shot at either of the guard spots. If these backups and reserve players are never even given a chance, then based on SF's 3+ year record how can any of us even know what the best 5 man combo would be.

I even said on several occasions that moving Rimington from C to Left Guard would completely change the OL and then even Hixson could play center and at least match Cam in the snapping department. Cam with a head of steam pulling would cause some real collisions.

Enuf for now, I've repeated this stuff ad nauseum. If you feel I'm one of the guys who is satisfied with the status quo, then why would I have said, as a coach you are in the "if it's broke, fix it" business?

If the changes are made for Saturday, then we all will see if the experiment has helped or hindered the virtual lack of progress in the OL.

Have a good one.

I've been advocating OL position changes since the first day I joined this site, which I think was Sep 6 or so. I also said Benhart should be benched. Benhart has had more than one bad game.

The last 3 sentences you wrote is essentially what I've been saying since Day 1 on this site. The coaches trying to install players in a position that they have zero physical characteristics needed for the job has led this team to this pathetic OL.

I said early, NU has 20 offensive linemen on this roster. Cam is a standout among this group. Teddy has great potential, way more than Benhart will ever have. Piper just isn't ready for some period of time. Hixson and Sicht are both slower than molasses, and I 've said that multiple times.

My opinion matters not to anyone. I would like to see Noulli have a legitimate shot at either of the guard spots. If these backups and reserve players are never even given a chance, then based on SF's 3+ year record how can any of us even know what the best 5 man combo would be.

I even said on several occasions that moving Rimington from C to Left Guard would completely change the OL and then even Hixson could play center and at least match Cam in the snapping department. Cam with a head of steam pulling would cause some real collisions.

Enuf for now, I've repeated this stuff ad nauseum. If you feel I'm one of the guys who is satisfied with the status quo, then why would I have said, as a coach you are in the "if it's broke, fix it" business?

If the changes are made for Saturday, then we all will see if the experiment has helped or hindered the virtual lack of progress in the OL.

Have a good one.
Why would we move Rimington from Center?

Why would we move Rimington from Center?
"We" wouldn't do anything.

I've said multiple times that SF would not move Cam. SF anointed Cam that position before he had ever taken a snap at C in a game, as we all know SF never makes a mistake.

Making the calls at C and snapping the ball doesn't require the absolute best athlete at that position. Finding players around the Center that can actually move is more likely to upgrade the entire OL.

Since Cam has shown he is an outstanding Center, would it hurt, during this period of "experimentation" to at least see what that OL looks like with Cam at a different position, i.e. LG?

It's obvious that neither Piper, Hixson or Sicht can't really do the job, but Hixson has been fine at Center, and if there was an effort "in practice" to see what Cam and Nouli as a tandem of Guards could do, might open some eyes.

Just my opinion. I'm under no illusion that myself, or anyone else on this board is making any decisions, only opinons. Have a good one.

My concern is that you take a group of guys who for the most part have played together for several games but who had trouble with false starts largely due to external elements and then throw 3 new guys out there. Even in a friendly environment that's a lot of pressure. I'm not a fan of that. Now none of the guys being replaced have been impressive but I think this move is out of Frost's frustration with the false starts not necessarily because the other guys have graded out better in practice or their limited playing time. We'll see I guess but I think Frost jumping in to the OL is completely related to the failures he's seen on game video and Austin's seeming inability to fix it.

Most people don't realize that one of the reasons that Tom slept in his office during the season was in part to cover his assistant's asses who weren't performing as well as he would like. Tom micromanaged his assistants and that is one reason Frank never performed well when left on his own to call plays and manage the offense. Frost appears to have been more hands off with everything other than the offense scheme and play calling. There is no doubt that there have been "elevated" discussions between Frost and Austin about the O line blocking schemes. I know next to nothing about modern O line technique. I'll leave the analysis to guys like Stai, Zatechka and Sirles. Clearly something is wrong there though. I don't know if the scheme is too complex, not a fit for our level of athleticism or what but it seems obvious that Frost is not happy with Austin.

My concern is that you take a group of guys who for the most part have played together for several games but who had trouble with false starts largely due to external elements and then throw 3 new guys out there. Even in a friendly environment that's a lot of pressure. I'm not a fan of that. Now none of the guys being replaced have been impressive but I think this move is out of Frost's frustration with the false starts not necessarily because the other guys have graded out better in practice or their limited playing time. We'll see I guess but I think Frost jumping in to the OL is completely related to the failures he's seen on game video and Austin's seeming inability to fix it.

Most people don't realize that one of the reasons that Tom slept in his office during the season was in part to cover his assistant's asses who weren't performing as well as he would like. Tom micromanaged his assistants and that is one reason Frank never performed well when left on his own to call plays and manage the offense. Frost appears to have been more hands off with everything other than the offense scheme and play calling. There is no doubt that there have been "elevated" discussions between Frost and Austin about the O line blocking schemes. I know next to nothing about modern O line technique. I'll leave the analysis to guys like Stai, Zatechka and Sirles. Clearly something is wrong there though. I don't know if the scheme is too complex, not a fit for our level of athleticism or what but it seems obvious that Frost is not happy with Austin.
Well, and his wife is a total drag.

He MAY have just been asking why we would move someone who doesnt play for us anymore. You meant Jurgens, but said Rimington by accident.
I say Rimington, cause SF told Austin that Cam would be the next Dave Rimington. It wasn't an accident on my part Jay. Thanks

I didn't listen to TA on the radio the other night, but I did read the transcript.
This is what TA said, and I will quote verbatim. "Every game is winnable and every game we could lose. So attention to detail and focus and discipline are going to be critical, and those are areas that have historically not been our strong suits. None of those have to do with talent."

Next verbatim quote from TA. "So, we'll keep working and supporting Scott and the coaches and, more importantly, supporting these players who, they deserve to be rewarded at some point based on their effort." End of quotes.
I use bold type only because TA's emphasis is on the PLAYERS and not the coaches.

In the first quote TA is saying detail, focus, discipline are critical. And none of those areas have been strong suits. None have to do with talent. In other words, TA IS SAYING this staff hasn't paid attention to detail. If they are not strong suits, then they are weaknesses. Talent is not the question, coaching and detail to focus with discipline is what is needed. That's what he's saying. (Apologies for being redundant).

In the second quote, when TA says, more importantly supporting.....based on their effort. It clearly says, these players are busting their ass and need to be rewarded. TA says the players are more important that the coaches. Rewarded likely means some success. (Success means winning).

There is absolutely no question in my mind, that TA has had the conversation with SF about the shortcomings of the offensive staff and this salvo indicates that TA is saying it publicly. If I were an offensive position coach, or head coach, I would get cracking immediately to try to correct those concerns that the man with authority to dismiss people is openly saying.

Agree, or disagree, either is fine with me. At the end of the day, I believe TA is saying to SF that the status quo isn't talent based, it is because of poor coaching.

Since Frost has finally decided to get involved with the offensive line, perhaps he should consider that maybe, just maybe he has the personnel he needs, maybe it's the coaching they're getting?

Since Frost has finally decided to get involved with the offensive line, perhaps he should consider that maybe, just maybe he has the personnel he needs, maybe it's the coaching they're getting?
37 games into his regime SF decides to get involved with the OL?

In the event SF lacks the expertise to improve the OL (and I doubt he does), and assuming Austin doesn't have what it takes to elevate the OL, then SF needs to get off his high horse and ask someone (with expertise) for help.

TO or Bobby Bowden or other top coaches always went to other schools to look at or learn new ways to do things that would improve their squad. If its good enough for 2 of the better HC's in the last portions of the 90's, it should be good enough now. Yes, I know this is an off season event.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I didn't listen to TA on the radio the other night, but I did read the transcript.
This is what TA said, and I will quote verbatim. "Every game is winnable and every game we could lose. So attention to detail and focus and discipline are going to be critical, and those are areas that have historically not been our strong suits. None of those have to do with talent."

Next verbatim quote from TA. "So, we'll keep working and supporting Scott and the coaches and, more importantly, supporting these players who, they deserve to be rewarded at some point based on their effort." End of quotes.
I use bold type only because TA's emphasis is on the PLAYERS and not the coaches.

In the first quote TA is saying detail, focus, discipline are critical. And none of those areas have been strong suits. None have to do with talent. In other words, TA IS SAYING this staff hasn't paid attention to detail. If they are not strong suits, then they are weaknesses. Talent is not the question, coaching and detail to focus with discipline is what is needed. That's what he's saying. (Apologies for being redundant).

In the second quote, when TA says, more importantly supporting.....based on their effort. It clearly says, these players are busting their ass and need to be rewarded. TA says the players are more important that the coaches. Rewarded likely means some success. (Success means winning).

There is absolutely no question in my mind, that TA has had the conversation with SF about the shortcomings of the offensive staff and this salvo indicates that TA is saying it publicly. If I were an offensive position coach, or head coach, I would get cracking immediately to try to correct those concerns that the man with authority to dismiss people is openly saying.

Agree, or disagree, either is fine with me. At the end of the day, I believe TA is saying to SF that the status quo isn't talent based, it is because of poor coaching.
My suspicion is that Frost full well knows it's his O line coach's problem and not a problem with not having enough talent to work with. Regardless of how some on this board feel about Frost, he's not an idiot. He can see the same mistakes repeated over and over on game video. He understands completely that his success and failure this year hinge on his O line and his kickers. Martinez while not perfect has been good enough. Hell IMO he outplayed Rattler.

37 games into his regime SF decides to get involved with the OL?

In the event SF lacks the expertise to improve the OL (and I doubt he does), and assuming Austin doesn't have what it takes to elevate the OL, then SF needs to get off his high horse and ask someone (with expertise) for help.

TO or Bobby Bowden or other top coaches always went to other schools to look at or learn new ways to do things that would improve their squad. If its good enough for 2 of the better HC's in the last portions of the 90's, it should be good enough now. Yes, I know this is an off season event.
That's an off season solution. They need to fix it now or there won't be a "next season" for Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT