ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Gerry....

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Someone on here called him the most overrated player on the team today. Just a couple fun facts for anyone who believes that. He now has 203 career tackles. Only the 5th Husker DB with over 200. Others are Mike Brown, Daniel Bullocks, Larry Asante and Tyrone Byrd. He also has 11 career picks. School record is 14. He will be drafted and playing in the NFL next year. Think before you post. Lesson of the day. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the $!@# his unsportsmanlike penalty was about for those of us that didn't watch on tv?

Can someone explain what the $!@# his unsportsmanlike penalty was about for those of us that didn't watch on tv?
After his pick, he lighly handed the ball to the QB who tackled him. He then threw ball at Nate's back. Should have been offsetting. Not worth a 15 yarder. Refs were being bitches today. More than usual.

It's a lot like throwing the first punch, you get whatever happens after
And if it was the reverse that had happened-you'd be going after the player of ours that threw the ball at the opposing player. In other words, our player is always in the wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

And if it was the reverse that had happened-you'd be going after the player of ours that threw the ball at the opposing player. In other words, our player is always in the wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Oh my god...you are sooo exhausting...just stop. If you reply to this is means you agree that you are exhausting.

I think Gerry is a great player and had a great game. He definitely will get his shot at the NFL. I was just upset with his penalty because I expect more out of a senior captain. We talk about the penalties we are having and the young guys are going to follow players they look up to. Great game Nate just remember this defensive follows your examples

Every coach in America tells kids to hand the ball to the official or set it down. That is just what you do. You don't show people up and handing the ball to the guy who just threw the INT (that really doesn't matter) was worthy of unsportsmanlike. Do you call that being a sportsman? The fact the QB tossed it back at him has absolutely nothing to do with Nate except to deflect his personal responsibility. The old adage of pointing other bad behavior to make yours look better. Doesn't work.

Yes he is amazing catching 2 balls thrown right to him. Not like he was getting burned on a few early drives or anything. His arms looked pretty small on tv, though.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I laughed, but its just a terribly stupid thing to do. You show someone up youre getting a 15 yarder...pretty simple to understand. I also believe it should have been off-setting penalties. This team has made some absolutely stupid penalties this year and those need to get cleared up if they expect to compete for conference championships.

Gerry has ridiculous closing speed (holds the SD 200M high school record) and has saved several long runs from being TDs over his career. He tracked a kid down today. The suspension plus the unsportsmanlike might show him to be a bit of a punk though.

Reactions: saluno22
With his size, speed,.and tackling ability, I say he at minimum plays a few years as a good special teams player.
He had a play in the third quarter I believe where the Cowboy RB took off for a good run. He outran every other Husker near him, but as usual Gerry ran a guy down from behind. He did that a lot last year. Dude is really fast for a safety.

Reactions: newAD
I understand why Gerry was flagged. But the other player should have been flagged too, you don't get a free shot just because the other guy started it. That said, I hate having a rule where you can't do something a little bit cute or smart-alecky once in awhile in a game to rib the other team. I think the "taunting" rules are silly or at least too strict. But I guess the big manly football guys are too sensitive to take a little taunting, and will try to kill someone if they are taunted, thus the rules.

I'm glad we are celebrating a player being good at running people down from behind.

You must have missed my original post and what he's done in his career here huh??
I can watch film instead of looking at game stats. Gerry has consistently been a poor tackler at nu. He messed up numerous times today. He can be great at times but other times makes big mistakes. He's kinda like tommy, lots of stats cuz he's been playing so long.
He is overrated. It doesn't mean he's horrible, just that he's overrated thus far in his career. We are one game in with him though so I guess we will see.

Heck, even the Chief who is a Wyoming fan that I was watching the game with today, thought the Gerry handing the ball back to the QB was the highlight of the game.

He will probably be a late round NFL pick - lacks coverage skills. I will be surprised if he makes a team.
This. Gerry is a good tackler, but is really really lacking in his coverage skills. He couldn't cover a mediocre Wyoming receiver so not sure exactly how he plans on covering NFL receivers.

If calling him a punk will motivate him to have fewer penalties, more interceptions, better coverage, and more tackles, while still playing with some nastiness, then I guess I am ok with whomever alluded to it earlier in this thread.

I can see how some folks feel Gerry is overrated. I kinda feel that way myself.

I know what the stats are, but at the same time, kid is a senior who we seem to have been waiting on for his on the field play match up to his athletic potential. Whether it was mental issues, or being in the wrong fit for a scheme, or whateever, it just seems like we've had three seasons of Damon Benning coming on Over Reaction and saying things like "Gerry had a good game, but his run fits in the first half were atrocious". Or alternatively "he didn't do so well in coverage".

Gerry has the body/athleticism of a Greek god. That has never seemed to translate into *consistent* high level play. He's very streaky. I think Domann might have a little more potential in being the player we thought Gerry might be.

Reactions: Phantom Husker
I can see how some folks feel Gerry is overrated. I kinda feel that way myself.

I know what the stats are,
Yeah-those 11 interceptions(3 short of the school record) are just minor stats. I'm sure he just got lucky on all of those. I wonder how many interceptions he would have to get to not be overrated.

Yeah-those 11 interceptions(3 short of the school record) are just minor stats. I'm sure he just got lucky on all of those. I wonder how many interceptions he would have to get to not be overrated.

I didn't say he was lucky, and I think he's a good player.

He never really blossomed into the *consistent* rock of the defense that we thought he'd be. In fact, as great as a game he had today, DB still again said his fits in the run game were terrible for the first half.

I'll chalk that up to game 1 rust for him, but I'm certainly pulling for the kid to have a lights out year this year.

Heck, even the Chief who is a Wyoming fan that I was watching the game with today, thought the Gerry handing the ball back to the QB was the highlight of the game.
It really didn't deserve a 15 yard penalty.

Indeed. And I was shocked they didn't at least give us the offsetting penalty with the Wyoming kid. He chucked the ball at a player.
I know. Carlo's call was a bad call too. What is with all these calls against aggressive play or players having fun. The ball spin last week was a joke. Darlington was still running when he flipped the ball into a spin waist high. That took some skill!!! Usually you need to place the ball on the ground to do it. This is getting as ridiculous as the...
No
Fun
League

getting a penalty for handing the ball over was kinda dumb on his part, but 2 interceptions completely ruled that out.
he seems ok, although we will find out a lot more next week.
a lot here lived thru corey mckuwen, which was like the worse NU linebacker ever, he talked trash every week then we got beat like a drum.

Reactions: JPR95
I think Gerry is a great player and had a great game. He definitely will get his shot at the NFL. I was just upset with his penalty because I expect more out of a senior captain. We talk about the penalties we are having and the young guys are going to follow players they look up to. Great game Nate just remember this defensive follows your examples
especially one who just came off a suspension.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT