ADVERTISEMENT

Name MJ already and get this thing rollin’

A

anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2

Haven’t seen anything that makes me think anyone else would be better. Campbell? No… LL? Not interested, not sure why, just a feeling. Rhule?… maybe

Let’s see what Mickey can do with his own hand-picked staff and a full couple of years of recruiting. I believe he’d quickly make staff changes that aren’t working and get it done at the highest level

I think we’d be hanging with OSU, Mich, and PSU within 3 yrs. Where we’re expected to be and should be each year

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet baby Jesus no. That would be the most unreasoned decision ever. Thank God Trev won’t have this thought even cross his mind. We have several more weeks to sort this out. Without anything to lose. And don’t even bring recruiting into this. The decision is bigger than this cycle, especially with the portal. I mean, damn…..

Sweet baby Jesus no. That would be the most unreasoned decision ever. Thank God Trev won’t have this thought even cross his mind. We have several more weeks to sort this out. Without anything to lose. And don’t even bring recruiting into this. The decision is bigger than this cycle, especially with the portal. I mean, damn…..
Totally disagree. After the last two hiring failures, you’re that certain Mickey can’t get it done? Not sure I follow your reasoning. We’re talking another 3-4 years. If he fails, fire him

Yes, he’s well liked and trusted in many circles n recruiting hotbeds. Also not sure how you can so quickly discount that

There are some big time recruits in play that can turn the program quicker

Totally disagree. After the last two hiring failures, you’re that certain Mickey can’t get it done? Not sure I follow your reasoning. We’re talking another 3-4 years. If he fails, fire him

Yes, he’s well liked and trusted in many circles n recruiting hotbeds. Also not sure how you can so quickly discount that

Lol. There are dozens of ‘well-liked’ recruiters out there that pull 4-5 star athletes on the regular. We are just used to sloppy 2nds and somehow have created this recruiting aura around Mickey because he has done better than our shitty past in recruiting. Arguing why we shouldnt hire Mickey right now instead of why we should is absurd. Take a breathe fish-bowl Husker fans. I gotta stop responding to nonsensical posts.

I 100% agree with you

lots of small brains on this board want to hire a coach from kansas or similar simply because they've had the title before

Haven’t seen anything that makes me think anyone else would be better. Campbell? No… LL? Not interested, not sure why, just a feeling. Rhule?… maybe

Let’s see what Mickey can do with his own hand-picked staff and a full couple of years of recruiting. I believe he’d quickly make staff changes that aren’t working and get it done at the highest level

I think we’d be hanging with OSU, Mich, and PSU within 3 yrs. Where we’re expected to be and should be each year
giphy.gif

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Lol. There are dozens of ‘well-liked’ recruiters out there that pull 4-5 star athletes on the regular. We are just used to sloppy 2nds and somehow have created this recruiting aura around Mickey because he has done better than our shitty past in recruiting. Arguing why we shouldnt hire Mickey right now instead of why we should is absurd. Take a breathe fish-bowl Husker fans. I gotta stop responding to nonsensical posts.
You are right. The hard-ons come early and quick around here. Only to be deflated in the end. Good assistant, but head coach material? There are many qualified coaches out there to look at before we jump the gun.

Your drunk.

Your drunk already.

Hes got the talent to win games and beat decent teams, lets see how he does against better competition before giving him 5 yrs
Hear what you’re saying, but not so sure we have the talent. Very slow on D, tackling a problem, issues with run/pass blocking

If race has anything to do with the hiring of the next coach all parties involved should be immediately fired and banned from ever setting foot in the stadium again. Yes I realize the banning part isn't really doable but it should be. I dont care if the next HC isnt even human as long as they can win.

"lets emotionally hire another former husker cuz muh husker values"

some of you refuse to learn. Trev and the boosters are fed up with the member berries hires & high risk hires. this is the one coaching hire that's going to be made with as little risk as possible.

the only way for MJ to win the job at this point is to win out.

Affirmative Action will not get wins. So let's just stop with the baseless distractions.

TA should go by record of success and drop a payday. When the program has not produced any in your face successful coaches like Alabama and Ohio State then they need to buy them.

Get this program off the damn mat.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I decided after this last game that MJ should never be our coach. Keeping Chubba in that game — a still winnable game — was a brain dead decision. Why not Masker or Haarberg? All I could think of in his defense was that he knows our offensive line is beyond atrocious and is a QB killer and did not want to throw a kid in there who had never played before. But after Thompson went down it looked to me like MJ decided that the game was lost and just played from that point on in a way calculated to minimize injuries.

I don’t think his posts are nonsensical. He’s being logical. There’s maybe just more risk involved with keeping Mickey than hiring a guy who has a better resume.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I decided after this last game that MJ should never be our coach. Keeping Chubba in that game — a still winnable game — was a brain dead decision. Why not Masker or Haarberg? All I could think of in his defense was that he knows our offensive line is beyond atrocious and is a QB killer and did not want to throw a kid in there who had never played before. But after Thompson went down it looked to me like MJ decided that the game was lost and just played from that point on in a way calculated to minimize injuries.
I don’t think Masker or Haarberg have been getting much for practice reps but I agree. Purdy clearly was having trouble throwing. People wanted physical practices……. This is kind of why maybe you shouldn’t hit QBs in practice

If race has anything to do with the hiring of the next coach all parties involved should be immediately fired and banned from ever setting foot in the stadium again. Yes I realize the banning part isn't really doable but it should be. I dont care if the next HC isnt even human as long as they can win.
Has zero to do with race

How many hires have been made lately that were supposedly great hires because they were killing it at their last stop? No guarantee it translates to a different school. List of names is too long to mention

I’m just saying he has some momentum with recruiting and the players like him

Also, I disagree that there are dozens of coaches that are well liked that can recruit 5 stars. Maybe a handful that land the majority of the 30 or so each year. 4 stars a little easier to come by but still require a great recruiter

The roster needs a lot more depth—high quality depth

Has zero to do with race

How many hires have been made lately that were supposedly great hires because they were killing it at their last stop? No guarantee it translates to a different school. List of names is too long to mention

I’m just saying he has some momentum with recruiting and the players like him

Also, I disagree that there are dozens of coaches that are well liked that can recruit 5 stars. Maybe a handful that land the majority of the 30 or so each year. 4 stars a little easier to come by but still require a great recruiter

The roster needs a lot more depth—high quality depth
No coaching hire is a guarantee unless you get an Urban or a Saban, but Mickey would be far more of a risk. He has proven nothing as a coach other than he was a good receiver coach with guys like Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase. As an Associate HC he was a disaster at LSU and didn't improve Nebraska. As an interim coach he has been below average.

If we hire Matt Rhule, sure there isn't a guarantee he will win in Lincoln, but I'll take a guy that turned around Temple(he was Al Golden's OC when they started to win and then was a successful HC) and won at Baylor over a guy who has never been a successful coordinator or head coach.

No coaching hire is a guarantee unless you get an Urban or a Saban, but Mickey would be far more of a risk. He has proven nothing as a coach other than he was a good receiver coach with guys like Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase. As an Associate HC he was a disaster at LSU and didn't improve Nebraska. As an interim coach he has been below average.

If we hire Matt Rhule, sure there isn't a guarantee he will win in Lincoln, but I'll take a guy that turned around Temple(he was Al Golden's OC when they started to win and then was a successful HC) and won at Baylor over a guy who has never been a successful coordinator or head coach.
I’ve seen his interviews and think he’d be a good hire

I don’t think his posts are nonsensical. He’s being logical. There’s maybe just more risk involved with keeping Mickey than hiring a guy who has a better resume.
Perhaps, but I just don’t see a single argument for Mickey other than red koolaid and let’s give it a shot. And maybe more risk? This program and fanbase is not in a position to take fliers right now. You heard the boos on Saturday. Goodwill is running on empty.

Perhaps, but I just don’t see a single argument for Mickey other than red koolaid and let’s give it a shot. And maybe more risk? This program and fanbase is not in a position to take fliers right now. You heard the boos on Saturday. Goodwill is running on empty.
The boos were for the officials. I was there. There are a couple of points in Mickey’s favor. One is his recruiting. Another is that he knows what it takes at NU. It’s up to Trev to weigh the resumes if all of his candidates. We really don’t know what Trev thinks Mickey is capable of. I’ve said many times that having been a coordinator doesn’t mean you won’t be a good head coach. The skills needed are somewhat different. That said I would be more comfortable with a guy who has run a D1 program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT