ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Mini Tim-Bits: Recruiting notes heading into the weekend

TimVerghese

Walk On
Staff
Mar 15, 2024
Some recruiting notes to send you off into the weekend,

Caught up with the three-star out of Miami Northwestern after his weekend OV to Nebraska, you can find that interview here. Branch noted that his relationship with defensive backs coach Evan Cooper is the best he's built in his recruitment thus far. That could pay off for the Huskers in the long run. He has just one other official visit planned thus far, to Penn State at the end of the month, with schools like Florida, LSU and Miami still lurking. Branch is a lengthier defensive back at 6-foot-3, that could play safety or cornerback, or even spin down to linebacker dependent on how he fills out. Fits the versatile profile that Cooper likes. Nebraska really surprised Branch with all they had to offer, that's been a common theme talking to first-time visitors, impressed with the facilities, fanbase and Lincoln community, Rhule and his staff do a great job showing all three off. On top of that, Branch appreciated the honesty and warmth of the staff, he felt welcomed and wanted at Nebraska. Huskers are in the top group for him, but I get the read he's taking his time with his recruitment. Nebraska's wants to see growth on and off the field from him as well and I get the read they're willing to be patient with him through this process. He does already plan to return for a game in the fall, noting the Colorado game as one he's planning to be at. Also get the read that if Nebraska lands Cortez Mills, that'll certainly help with Branch.

Nebraska made the top four for Sheyenne three-star defensive lineman Kade Pietrzak alongside Kansas State, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. One thing to know with Pietrzak, he is handling his recruitment incredibly quietly. As far as I can tell, he hasn't talked to any reporter on the record about his recruitment and he hardly posts on social media besides offers and top schools. That being said, caught up with Rivals' own Parker Thune who gathered some intel on him. Pietrzak tried to commit to Oklahoma earlier this month, but ultimately decided not to because the Sooners have a no-visit policy, meaning once you commit you're not allowed to visit other schools, Pietrzak and his family had plans to make other visits and so they decided to hold off on committing. With a top four announced, expect Pietrzak to schedule official visits to all four programs. The Sooners appear to have a leg up on the rest of the field in this mysterious recruitment, but a decision shouldn't be expected until he takes his official visits. I'll do my best to pass along as much intel as I can, but until/unless I make the drive up to West Fargo, most intel on this recruitment is going to come straight from Pietrzak himself.

ICYMI, I posted earlier today that 2025 Bixby (Okla.) High four-star offensive tackle Broderick Shull has scheduled an official visit to Nebraska for next weekend, May 10-12. He's also taking official visits to Auburn, Texas Tech and Texas A&M. Intel suggests that Auburn has a slight lead on the pack heading into this stretch of official visits, but all four teams have reasons to feel confident, official visits will be crucial in creating separation. Shull has emerged as a top tackle target for the Huskers this and he's interested in the program because of the coaching staff and the facilities. Nebraska will look to set a high bar next weekend.

Touched on Mooberry's recruitment on Sunday after the spring game, you can find that here. Something to note with Mooberry, he's stated for weeks now that Nebraska, Minnesota and Kansas State are the top schools in his recruitment. However, to date, the Huskers are the only program he's scheduled an official visit with (June 21). OVs to the other two programs have been in the works, but have yet to be finalized. Might be worth reading between the lines as to why those other two OVs aren't set in stone. For what it's worth, I think he's closer to making a decision that he lets up on.

Nebraska offered the 2026 four-star offensive tackle out of Mansfield (Tex.) Lake Ridge this week. He had a good conversation with Nebraska wide receivers coach Garret McGuire, who offered him in person, and was excited by the offer. Nothing's set yet but he's very open to a visit this summer or fall. The Huskers did enter this recruitment "late" as they were the 17th school to offer but he's open to new programs given how early it is in his recruitment. That being said, there is ground to be made up on the likes of Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, among others. He's got a busy summer visit schedule planned, next step is to see if Nebraska works themselves into that visit schedule

Emmerich visited for the spring game last week and was offered, but the Huskers barely got a chance to make an impression before he announced his commitment to Wisconsin on Friday. Badgers emerged as a top school early and the fit felt right for him, he was in the midst of turning into a legit nationally pursued recruit before committing. Huskers viewed him as a defensive back and will move on to other targets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News