ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Mike's recruiting notes & tidbits

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
I was able to speak with a few recruits tonight through either phone calls or texts. Below is what I heard back and learned:

*** First off, a note on a very talented 2017 quarterback recruit who has been offered by Nebraska. Junior-to-be signal caller Hunter Johnson out of Brownsburg, Indiana was named the MVP of the RCS in St. Louis and he's on the Rivals100 watch list and in the running to be one of the very top quarterback prospects in next year's class.

The four-star already has offers from approximately 20 college programs with more arriving all the time.

Johnson told me tonight that he will likely be visiting Nebraska this summer but he doesn't have a date locked in yet. I asked him what his level of interest in the Cornhusker program is and he replied:

"I'm very interested. I just want to get around the coaching staff and get to know them better."

He promised to let us know when his visit date to Lincoln gets firmed up.

*** Georgia defensive back Jarett Cole will not be able to attend the BRW, but he said that he is "most definitely" still high on Nebraska and he will be taking an official visit to Nebraska "during the season".

*** There is also some last minute news about this weekend's BRW:

Recent Husker running back commitment Aphonso Thomas will not be able to come up to Lincoln this weekend after all due to a "family situation that came up".

Kansas defensive end Xavier Kelly said that he will be at a camp Thursday and Friday so he will not be able to attend the BRW.

California defensive back Kentrell Love won't be able to make it to Lincoln on Saturday, but said "I believe we are trying to get out there" and "I'm really hoping we do so".

Offered Kansas offensive tackle Teven Jenkins also will not be able to show up because he cannot find a ride.

We have no idea if soft NU commits Jared Bubak or Bryan Brokop will be showing up because neither of them have responded to any of our inquiries through phone calls or texts in quite a while. The last time we heard from Brokop he told us that he wanted to coordinate with Bubak on a summer Nebraska visit. I don't have any firm information on this, but don't be surprised if there is some fire behind the smoke to both of them being interested in and seriously considering Arizona State.

Big Red Weekends confirmations

June 12-13

2016 recruits
1682717.jpg
LB Quayshon Alexander [N.J.]
1682717.jpg
TE Austin Pope [Tenn.] -- He will be camping at Missouri on Friday before heading to NU. He's also planning to visit Georgia & TCU soon.
1682717.jpg
ATH Ben Stille [Neb.] -- He will also be attending the FNL on Friday with Ashland Greenwood teammate, 2017 DL Brett Kitrell.
1682717.jpg
TE Jack Stoll [Colo.] -- He'll be in Lincoln Friday & Saturday for his visit. He will not be camping though.

May be attending BRW
1682716.jpg
OL John Raridon [Iowa] -- It will depend on how he's feeling after having his tonsils removed on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News