ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph permanently..

A trained monkey could likely do the same thing. That's why I said, it's not saying much.
Freaking North Dakota took us in to the 4th quarter. Not NDSU. North Dakota. Our defense has been the worst I’ve ever seen at NU. IF we had retained Frost there was a real possibility that we wouldn’t have won another game. Retaining Chin thus far doesn’t give me much optimism

In which case your backers and the ability of your DBs to cover in man become very important. Chin needs to get more aggressive
As far as level of defensive aggression, I doubt Chin has much say in the matter. If Mickey says NU will attack, that's how it's gonna be.

Mickey knows with his past and current WR's the soft zone is tailor made for easy yardage. He also knows the types of defenses that have given his really good receivers the most problems, and I expect him to try to incorporate that as best NU can with the pieces they have to work with.

50% of defense is inspiration,
calling a defense like you are trying to win will certainly help
what percentage of this years results do you put on mickey? being better than frost and riley isn't saying much. 6 more wins and some close losses seem reasonable. the guy has energy and with a 9 game tryout we'll see how football smart he is.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If he even shows slight improvement, he should be given the job. He's already on staff for current recruits and is a fantastic recruiter, well respected in the profession, more experience then Frost. I'm sure he has a lot of ties for defensive coordinator, including his brothers ties, what else are we looking for? I don't care if he's played here or not he just might be the right guy!!
If he goes 7 & 2 give him the job. If not, we need someone with more experience. Sorry.

• Haha
Quite frankly I don’t personally care if the coach has a coordinator background. Several folks on here have made the argument and have historically made the argument that we need to get a proven power five winner at the level we want to compete.

Mickey is a lot of things but he is definitely not that. He’s definitely guy you are taking a flyer on, even if we’ll intentioned because he’s a legacy with a good personality for the kids.

there’s really only a few coaches who fit the profile of who the proven winner. Dabo, Saban, meyer, Brian Kelly and the dude down at UGA. None of those dudes are coming here.

leipold rhule and Campbell, program builders but unproven on the biggest stages. Leohnard unproven coordinator. Fickell wasn’t great at OSU who annually has more talent than we do but is a smaller league super star. Chadwell also unproven in a power league.

You can go on forever like this. We’re going to have to pick what we can live without because I don’t see trev hiring Meyer.

Reactions: dand84
You have to think Chins is coaching for his job and or new job at this point. Hopefully he takes constructive criticism well…

If he even shows slight improvement, he should be given the job. He's already on staff for current recruits and is a fantastic recruiter, well respected in the profession, more experience then Frost. I'm sure he has a lot of ties for defensive coordinator, including his brothers ties, what else are we looking for? I don't care if he's played here or not he just might be the right guy!!
So a husker legacy cans another husker legacy, brings in a third husker legacy, who with minimal improvement should be given the job. Ahhh...no. If Alberts does this and it doesn't work out, then I think a requirement to be hired at Nebraska is that you have no association with Tom Osborne or anyone who was in the program previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck003
On that nightly show a couple hours ago, he said he didn't want to give away too much info on the defensive changes. I think we will run a little bit different scheme. He also talked about gap integrity, tackling, and playing aggressive. I expect to see a lot of man coverage with the front 7 plugging up the gaps and trying to get to the QB. You get burned for a TD every so often doing that, but it helps stop the run game and can rattle the QB.

On that nightly show a couple hours ago, he said he didn't want to give away too much info on the defensive changes. I think we will run a little bit different scheme. He also talked about gap integrity, tackling, and playing aggressive. I expect to see a lot of man coverage with the front 7 plugging up the gaps and trying to get to the QB. You get burned for a TD every so often doing that, but it helps stop the run game and can rattle the QB.
Which should help us pull off wins at least against mediocre talent, which is the majority of our remaining schedule. Hopefully he can do it! Gbr

The hope for a quick improvement under Joseph hinges on this analysis being true. Time will tell. Is our problem on defense talent or coaching or both? If it is coaching then there is hope. If I were Jospeh I would take a hard look at Ruud as linebackers coach. One of our biggest issues has been very poor play from the linebackers. I have seen some analysis from folks like Carriker who have observed that often our linebackers are not playing the right gaps. I would also say, based on my own armchair analysis (so take it for what that is worth, ha) that our linebackers are piss poor blitzers. Is that scheme or talent? We could also use an upgrade in QB pressure from the much hyped Nelson and Mathis.

The scary thing is this. If it is coaching ... well... we still have the same coaches.
Right now I would say Ruud is the worst coach on the team, also a terrible recruiter. We probably can't replace him now but man I have been saying for 3 years the guy sucks. I put him in the same boat as Held 2 years ago.

Right now I would say Ruud is the worst coach on the team, also a terrible recruiter. We probably can't replace him now but man I have been saying for 3 years the guy sucks. I put him in the same boat as Held 2 years ago.
Except Held was a good recruiter and took Ozigbo out of the doghouse that Riley and Co. put him in, and then put him into the NFL. Now if you asked what happened with Held in 2019; I haven’t a clue. The only thing I can think of is that Frost started 💩 all over the RB room…?

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
So a husker legacy cans another husker legacy, brings in a third husker legacy, who with minimal improvement should be given the job. Ahhh...no. If Alberts does this and it doesn't work out, then I think a requirement to be hired at Nebraska is that you have no association with Tom Osborne or anyone who was in the program previously.
Yes. There you go.

Reactions: moralvictories
You are right. That former husker bullshit is hard to shake and that has been the biggest problem for over 20 years.

Reactions: thall_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT