ADVERTISEMENT

McKewon on Recruiting: "This staff gets it"

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_9242b140-1970-11e5-9efc-d7ef9a5a1c28.html

I agree. The class still needs work, but it's getting there. But the 2 biggest differences I've noticed between the prior and current staffs is:
1: Riley's staff is working ridiculously harder recruiting nationally and understand that recruiting rankings do matter.
2: Recognizing talent. This still remains to be seen (slightly) but it just seems like amateur hour is over on recruiting.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the effort and early results the new staff is producing. As McKewon points out in his article, all Big Ten boats are rising, so this is happening at a critical time for Nebraska's future. In our new reality as the bar rises for conference supremacy, we'll need the focus and effort this staff is providing. So far, I love it.

The good news for us is that Michigan and PSU have to make it through OSU if they want to win it all. That won't be any small task. A few poundings at the hands of Ohio State would help the Leaders and Best turn on Harbaugh in a hurry. He would still be welcome on the sideline of a lot of NFL teams.

We'll see about PSU. I don't their coach is Ron Zook bad or Gary Pinkel bad in terms of landing huge recruits and then wasting them. They will be a program on the rise.

And oh by the way, MSU is also in that division. So while we may be 5th in the B1G in recruiting right now, the top 4 all have to share a division. They've got some losses to pass around to each other.

NU is talented enough to win the division right now. Don't get out-coached by Wisconsin and Minnesota, and we're in Indy taking that puncher's chance at the conference title. If we can recruit with the big boys, NU is in the catbird seat.

Reactions: Nate004
NU is talented enough to win the division right now. Don't get out-coached by Wisconsin and Minnesota, and we're in Indy taking that puncher's chance at the conference title. If we can recruit with the big boys, NU is in the catbird seat.

Heck ya! That's what I've been telling anybody that will listen! Nobody in the West is superior to NU, just gotta take care of business and then catch lightning in a bottle at the title game this year!

Reactions: jedimasterjed
Heck ya! That's what I've been telling anybody that will listen! Nobody in the West is superior to NU, just gotta take care of business and then catch lightning in a bottle at the title game this year!

To be fair, I probably have to look at NU through the same lens I am Michigan, which is, "Year one in a new system...might not be pretty." Guess we won't know til they kick it off in the fall, but I feel like winning the division is not wishful thinking.

...NU is talented enough to win the division right now. Don't get out-coached by Wisconsin and Minnesota, and we're in Indy taking that puncher's chance at the conference title. If we can recruit with the big boys, NU is in the catbird seat.

It's always tough for me to temper expectations, but a shot at the conference title doesn't seem too overly optimistic. As others have said, we may be looking at step-wise improvement.

The honeymoon is definitely "on" for Riley, hopefully goes all year long. I would give Riley an "A" for effort at this point, maybe bigger dividends payoff in the years to come. Looking strictly at results so far this year, recruiting rankings range from 23rd to 33rd depending on the recruiting service. At least to me, kind of so-so on the results (qb's look really good). About half of our offers are to 4-star or higher recruits, so hopefully we build up throughout the year and close with a bang.

To be fair, I probably have to look at NU through the same lens I am Michigan, which is, "Year one in a new system...might not be pretty." Guess we won't know til they kick it off in the fall, but I feel like winning the division is not wishful thinking.

Year 1 is in fact, kinda the trick, but here's the kicker... Wisconsin is also in year 1. I have faith Riley can outcoach Chryst. Really a persons view on weather we will win the division or not comes down to that. Do you feel Riley can outcoach Chryst.

I see what you're saying, but I also think (or just hoping) the transition for us won't be that difficult. It won't be like Solich's system being switched over to Callahan's system. I feel that Riley's system is similar enough to Bo's/Beck's system that we'll start off alright. Or at least Riley can adapt more to what he has now than what Callahan could with Solich's system/players.

I also doubt Michigan will have much trouble switching systems either. Just my .02

It's always tough for me to temper expectations, but a shot at the conference title doesn't seem too overly optimistic. As others have said, we may be looking at step-wise improvement.

The honeymoon is definitely "on" for Riley, hopefully goes all year long. I would give Riley an "A" for effort at this point, maybe bigger dividends payoff in the years to come. Looking strictly at results so far this year, recruiting rankings range from 23rd to 33rd depending on the recruiting service. At least to me, kind of so-so on the results (qb's look really good). About half of our offers are to 4-star or higher recruits, so hopefully we build up throughout the year and close with a bang.
In addition to the QB's, Raridon, Alexander and Dismuke are studs, and William Johnson is going to be playing in the NFL. NE kids certainly look like future contributors. I think your description as "so-so" is off. If recruiting keeps going like it is, I'm guessing we end up mid-teens in February.

Year 1 is in fact, kinda the trick, but here's the kicker... Wisconsin is also in year 1. I have faith Riley can outcoach Chryst. Really a persons view on weather we will win the division or not comes down to that. Do you feel Riley can outcoach Chryst.

I feel pretty comfortable that we have the better coach. My fear is that Wisconsin is already suited for what Chryst will want to do. Do we have the QB to run Riley's system? I'm not sure.

I feel pretty comfortable that we have the better coach. My fear is that Wisconsin is already suited for what Chryst will want to do. Do we have the QB to run Riley's system? I'm not sure.

This is true... I'm not completely sold on any QB on roster right now. The thing is, Riley doesn't have to reinvent the wheel this year to win. Hand the ball off, let the backs make yards, play action out of that, and throw routes Tommy (or whomever wins the jobs) is comfortable with. Have faith that our athletes will out athlete their athletes.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
This is true... I'm not completely sold on any QB on roster right now. The thing is, Riley doesn't have to reinvent the wheel this year to win. Hand the ball off, let the backs make yards, play action out of that, and throw routes Tommy (or whomever wins the jobs) is comfortable with. Have faith that our athletes will out athlete their athletes.
That will require our O line to be good. I think AA had a lot to do with our success in running last year.

That will require our O line to be good. I think AA had a lot to do with our success in running last year.

AA had a TON to do with our success. Under the old staff I'd be nervous without Ameer right now. But I'm not nervous at all with Coach Cav. I believe he can get the line playing well.

In addition to the QB's, Raridon, Alexander and Dismuke are studs, and William Johnson is going to be playing in the NFL. NE kids certainly look like future contributors. I think your description as "so-so" is off. If recruiting keeps going like it is, I'm guessing we end up mid-teens in February.

Well, I do hope you are right.

Attrition will take it's toll on this recruiting class. Players will exceed/meet/fail to meet expectations. The better the recruiting class is as a whole, gives a better shot of surviving attrition. We would have a heck of a (red-shirted) senior class this year if the 2011 recruiting class would have survived as committed and exceeded expectations. So, I prefer to pin my hopes on the class as a whole, rather than a few individuals (no sarcasm intended, just my train of thought).

As far as 23rd to 33rd recruiting ranking range and how we finish. If we duplicate the ratings of the first 10 recruits at this point in time, we will likely finish outside rivals top 25. So, let's hope we land our top tier prospects and finish out the year strong.

I'm not going to argue with anything you said, just wanted to point out the Wisconsin is keeping their DC from last year. I wouldn't completely consider Wisconsin in the same situation as Nebraska.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_9242b140-1970-11e5-9efc-d7ef9a5a1c28.html

I agree. The class still needs work, but it's getting there. But the 2 biggest differences I've noticed between the prior and current staffs is:
1: Riley's staff is working ridiculously harder recruiting nationally and understand that recruiting rankings do matter.
2: Recognizing talent. This still remains to be seen (slightly) but it just seems like amateur hour is over on recruiting.

The vibe is different this year. We're really about the same as we were last year at this time as far as recruiting goes, but the vibe is different. Last year pessimism was plentiful. This year....is just.....different. I'm feeling confident we're in good hands. I haven't felt that in a ridiculously long time.

The vibe is different this year. We're really about the same as we were last year at this time as far as recruiting goes, but the vibe is different. Last year pessimism was plentiful. This year....is just.....different. I'm feeling confident we're in good hands. I haven't felt that in a ridiculously long time.

And the nice thing about this is, we are comparing the class of a staff 7 months on the job to a staff that was 7 years on the job. We are seeing good signs of things to come and I hope pays dividends starting with the 2017 class.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Chryst is good enough that Riley hired him as one of his assistants while in San Diego. And if Wisconsin kept their DC, they are going to be plenty difficult to get past.

Chryst is good enough that Riley hired him as one of his assistants while in San Diego. And if Wisconsin kept their DC, they are going to be plenty difficult to get past.
I tend to agree with others who point out how much Wisconsin loses on the field... They have had our number so far in the B1G, and until we beat them there will remain a cloud, but I think we will get them this year. Jmho...

I tend to agree with others who point out how much Wisconsin loses on the field... They have had our number so far in the B1G, and until we beat them there will remain a cloud, but I think we will get them this year. Jmho...

I'm not sold on Banker, but he can't do much worse than Bo during the 2012 Big Ten Championship game and the 2014 Melvin Gordon showcase hour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT