ADVERTISEMENT

mariota

Lincoln100

Head Coach
Jun 16, 2010
am I the only one who thinks he is going to be an average pro qb? Just not buying the hype

I see him being similar to RG3. Although, I think he's slightly less athletic but a better QB.

Clearly we're all just guessing or else we'd be paid by an NFL team or ESPN. With that caveat, I'd say that Mariota is better than the entire crop of QBs drafted last year. He is very, very athletic, throws a nice ball and from everything I've seen and heard, has high character and is a student of the game.

I rank him above:
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr

(all drafted first round last year.)

I'd take my chances with Mariota as my QB, if I were a GM.

I don't see it with Mariota, either. People rave about his smarts and his work ethic, so perhaps the upside is there. But in terms of arm talent, I don't think he's anything special. I don't see the accuracy from him to be a bigtime NFL success.

If he can follow the Russel Wilson blueprint, perhaps. Use his legs to extend plays and take the free yards, but not to try to be another RB out there.

Clearly we're all just guessing or else we'd be paid by an NFL team or ESPN. With that caveat, I'd say that Mariota is better than the entire crop of QBs drafted last year. He is very, very athletic, throws a nice ball and from everything I've seen and heard, has high character and is a student of the game.

I rank him above:
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr

Living in Minnesota, people are pretty excited here about what they have in teddy. It remains to be seen if he continues to progress, but Minnesotans seem sold on him.

It's almost impossible to predict if a QB will be a great pro or not coming out of college. Sure, people point to Luck, but tHat's an exception.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Well I was reading today that some of the "experts" are comparing Winston to Jamarcus Russell. Jimbo Fisher was the OC and QB coach during both their time at LSU for starters so the systems are similar and can hide flaws in the QB. Plus "soft" body types prone to turn overs.
And I'm not sold on his off the field issues being resolved either so with that said, its a tough call for someone in dire need of a QB like my Bucs are.
Is Mariota the guy? All I can say is I understand now why they are listening to deals for the #1. Similar to Draft Day.....need to see how many teammates showed up at either birthday party this year!
Glad my career doesn't revolve around this pick. Damned if you don't and probably damned if you do!

I don't see it with Mariota, either. People rave about his smarts and his work ethic, so perhaps the upside is there. But in terms of arm talent, I don't think he's anything special. I don't see the accuracy from him to be a bigtime NFL success.

If he can follow the Russel Wilson blueprint, perhaps. Use his legs to extend plays and take the free yards, but not to try to be another RB out there.
This. The running qb in the nfl doesn't work. If he can use his legs like an Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson he has a chance.

I haven't watched enough Mariota to make an opinion. But I am convinced Winston will be a bust.

I can only think of one QB that had maturity issues and has not been a bust (Cam Newton - stealing a laptop). I am only counting QBs that were top 10(ish) draft picks or super hyped (Manziel). Are there any others?

For this reason I think Winston will fail.

That's where Wilson has the advantage of being a bargain-priced, less heralded draft pick - so the Seahawks let him do what he's really good at. If Mariota's team is willing to do the same, I think he could be pretty good. But if they stick him in the pocket to try to protect him, I agree with you that his arm won't cut it.

I rank him above:
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr

Carr was drafted in the Second round and I don't see Mariota completing the quick outs and quick comebacks like Carr can. Mariota cannot compete on a tight field, he needs a lot of training to become an nfl quarterback.

am I the only one who thinks he is going to be an average pro qb? Just not buying the hype
Yeah, I can't comment. I was one of those who thought Ryan Leaf looked better than Peyton Manning and look how that one turned out.

I'm hesitant as well. In the right system he may thrive (Philadelphia), but I think this is a pick that could blow up in people's faces. One thing that has shown itself to be true about NFL QBs is that the most successful ones are first and foremost pocket passers. When you can add in some mobility it helps add a wrinkle of complexity, but not being able to stand in the pocket and make throws across the field consistently will hinder the offense. With Mariota I see a guy who is the prototype QB for the Oregon system, but might be a fish out of water in a pro offense. Winston, to me, looks like a safer pick from the ability side, but I'm not sold on him being a franchise QB either.
On another note, with the prevalence of running QBs in college football's top programs, it's getting harder for NFL teams to find draftable QBs. If you don't draft one this year, who are you going after next year?

I think Mariota will be pretty damn good. His best chance is if they can bring him along a little more slowly. He doesn't turn the ball over and he is good at his progressions. Being under center will be his biggest challenge, but that will improve. Do we really think QBs come into the NFL polished, finished products? Smart, team oriented, athletic, and coachable. Yeah, I like his chances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT