ADVERTISEMENT

looking for hunting training please

madbird

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2004
i just posted this on another site and thought i'd throw it out here as well.

so, here's the deal. i am approaching middle age - 68yrs to be exact. Winking i've never hunted. well, one time with friends in college from Harvard (i was from Hastings) and they took me pheasant hunting. don't ask.

but other than that, no hunting in my world. my Dad didn't hunt. we played golf all the time. now fast forward a few years, like till now, and i have 25yr & 30yr old boys. they both have interest in hunting and learning properly. i'd like to make that happen.

i'm aware of online safety courses and would certainly exhaust those, but is anyone aware of 1:1 or 1:3 hunting training? deer/elk likely their interest.
years ago, there was a guy in eastern washington that would spend like 5 days with someone to teach them the ropes. i'd looked into it at that time but never made it happen. i probably went golfing instead back then.
just wondering if there are any options or advice anyone here might know of. my perception is hunters like bringing young new hunters to the sport. probably could care less about a guy my age but it would be something my boys would do for decades. guess i'm picturing sort of an emersion time. doesn't matter where really. i'd anticipate a fee involved and for the right teacher, i'd have no problem with that and would expect it.
again, tia for any thoughts.

so, here's the deal. i am approaching middle age - 68yrs to be exact. Winking i've never hunted. well, one time with friends in college from Harvard (i was from Hastings) and they took me pheasant hunting. don't ask.

but other than that, no hunting in my world. my Dad didn't hunt. we played golf all the time. now fast forward a few years, like till now, and i have 25yr & 30yr old boys. they both have interest in hunting and learning properly. i'd like to make that happen.

i'm aware of online safety courses and would certainly exhaust those, but is anyone aware of 1:1 or 1:3 hunting training? deer/elk likely their interest.
years ago, there was a guy in eastern washington that would spend like 5 days with someone to teach them the ropes. i'd looked into it at that time but never made it happen. i probably went golfing instead back then.
just wondering if there are any options or advice anyone here might know of. my perception is hunters like bringing young new hunters to the sport. probably could care less about a guy my age but it would be something my boys would do for decades. guess i'm picturing sort of an emersion time. doesn't matter where really. i'd anticipate a fee involved and for the right teacher, i'd have no problem with that and would expect it.
Great question and I hope you find some viable options.

Reactions: madbird
Great question and I hope you find some viable options.
thanks Man. i'm down to learn the right way even though my years of hunting would pretty much entirely revolve around the gift it would be for my adult boys.

How much are you willing to spend? My hunting knowledge has been passed down to me from my dad, his friends, and my friends. I wouldn't even know where to start or what's offered for "hunting lessons". You'd have to break up each part into it's own section.

I'm assuming rifle and not archery or muzzleloader.

Buy your own rifle, take it out to a range or field and just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. There are local instructors that will help with loading, unloading, proper gun safety, etc.

For rifle, I highly recommend the Browning x-bolt. Gun is extremely lightweight, shoots extremely accurate, and with very little to no recoil. For deer hunting I bought it in a 6.5 creedmoor. However, if wanting to use the gun for Elk, I'd look at least at a .30-06, 7mm, or .300 Winchester Mag. I know the x-bolt is available in the .300, not sure on what other calibers. .30-06 would be sufficient for both deer and elk.

For the actual hunt, a guided hunt would be your best bet. You can get a guide for public or guided outfitter hunt. They'll get you where you need to go, put you in range, do your scouting, do the calling, every thing but shoot.

Don't forget to learn the most important part and that's field dressing, quartering, and packing out the animal. Local deer hunts on farmland you just need to field dress and load onto a vehicle. Backcountry you'll have to pack it out and carry the meat out.

Yes the online courses are a great start but there are in person classroom courses. Courses that actually take newbies into the field will be much more challenging.

The Hunter Safety card has to be on your person if you are going to be doing any shooting. So this is something you(your sons) will do regardless. It's easy.

Going with an experienced hunter (friend/family) will always be the best experience.

You can learn ALOT from various youtube channels. Maintaining your rifle, how to field dress deer and everything in between...

I have never done any training with a guide or anything... so I can't help there, but your sons must know someone that would allow one or all of you to go along with them during November Firearm season?

Doubt I helped at all but find someone experienced and tag along.

The Hunter Safety card has to be on your person if you are going to be doing any shooting. So this is something you(your sons) will do regardless. It's easy.

In Nebraska it's only required for hunters ages 12-29. However, I'd highly suggest it for every hunter.

My son just took it this last year, the online portion took around 6 hours and then the in class session took another 2 hours.

OP - if in Nebraska here's information on offerings.

How much are you willing to spend? My hunting knowledge has been passed down to me from my dad, his friends, and my friends. I wouldn't even know where to start or what's offered for "hunting lessons". You'd have to break up each part into it's own section.

Buy your own rifle, take it out to a range or field and just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. There are local instructors that will help with loading, unloading, proper gun safety, etc.

For rifle, I highly recommend the Browning x-bolt. Gun is extremely lightweight, shoots extremely accurate, and with very little to no recoil. For deer hunting I bought it in a 6.5 creedmoor. However, if wanting to use the gun for Elk, I'd look at least at a .30-06, 7mm, or .300 Winchester Mag. I know the x-bolt is available in the .300, not sure on what other calibers. .30-06 would be sufficient for both deer and elk.

For the actual hunt, a guided hunt would be your best bet. You can get a guide for public or guided outfitter hunt. They'll get you where you need to go, put you in range, do your scouting, do the calling, every thing but shoot.

Don't forget to learn the most important part and that's field dressing, quartering, and packing out the animal. Local deer hunts on farmland you just need to field dress and load onto a vehicle. Backcountry you'll have to pack it out and carry the meat out

Don't forget to learn the most important part and that's field dressing, quartering, and packing out the animal. Local deer hunts on farmland you just need to field dress and load onto a vehicle. Backcountry you'll have to pack it out and carry the meat out.
thanks for this info. fantastic.

regarding budget, i confess i am blessed and grateful. i can spend whatever. i know there will be equipment purchases including guns and gear, likely travel for all of us to some location, and i can handle that.

Yes the online courses are a great start but there are in person classroom courses. Courses that actually take newbies into the field will be much more challenging.

Going with an experienced hunter (friend/family) will always be the best experience.

You can learn ALOT from various youtube channels. Maintaining your rifle, how to field dress deer and everything in between...

I have never done any training with a guide or anything... so I can't help there, but your sons must know someone that would allow one or all of you to go along with them during November Firearm season?

Doubt I helped at all but find someone experienced and tag along.
i appreciate the comments. very helpful.

I would suggest you and your son go to hunter safety with the 12 years old kids. After passing that class, perfect sitting in a deer stand quietly and drinking beer. Should be good to go at that point.

In Nebraska it's only required for hunters ages 12-29. However, I'd highly suggest it for every hunter.

My son just took it this last year, the online portion took around 6 hours and then the in class session took another 2 hours.

OP - if in Nebraska here's information on offerings.
Yeah I should have been more specific. His son's would need it is what I meant.

thanks for this info. fantastic.

regarding budget, i confess i am blessed and grateful. i can spend whatever. i know there will be equipment purchases including guns and gear, likely travel for all of us to some location, and i can handle that.
I will say that you don't have to buy outrageously expensive equipment to be successful. Don't get sucked into the Sitka, Swarovski, Yeti, etc. etc. "look at me crowd." Some of that stuff can get crazy expensive. There's a lot of stuff out there that won't break the bank. I'm just saying why buy a Ferrari when a Corvette will outperform it anyway..unless money truly doesn't matter?

Ok I’ll ask- what happened on the Harvard/Hastings college buddy pheasant hunt? Alcohol involved ? Coeds? Were any pheasants actually harmed ? 😂
Any local cold cases from the 70s?

Which X-Bolt have you used?

I will say that you don't have to buy outrageously expensive equipment to be successful. Don't get sucked into the Sitka, Swarovski, Yeti, etc. etc. "look at me crowd." Some of that stuff can get crazy expensive. There's a lot of stuff out there that won't break the bank. I'm just saying why buy a Ferrari when a Corvette will outperform it anyway..unless money truly doesn't matter?
Appreciate this Cody. Good advice!

Remington 700 is a good platform. Military's choice. 30-06 is great choice. Burris scope is a good choice. I don't know costs anymore. I wouldn't leave out bird hunting. It can be a lot of fun. As said above, shooting is a must. Could join a sporting range.
I don't know to help someone become good at hunting without them spending a lot of time in the outdoors. I would start there. Quite walks in your mouth off and your eyes and ears open. Different times of day. That is probably the basis for a good hunter. The how 2s can be read. Where to go is harder.
Going out with someone will help with the school of hard knocks. Outfitter can certainly help with that.

Reactions: CodyHusker
I would actually try to start with bird hunting,,,and find someone who has a dog!

To me the shooting was secondary to watching the dogs I have trained work the terrain.

Pheasants forever local chapter good place to start.

Hunter safety as mentioned. Walking a field to me is more fun than sitting in a tree stand with a rifle.

Deer hunting with a bow more fun. Jmo

Reactions: ben1dan2

Excellent post. I would like to add wild game has to be prepared properly, or you will throw it out. Make sure a game cook works with you.

Excellent post. I would like to add wild game has to be prepared properly, or you will throw it out. Make sure a game cook works with you.

I'll further add 3 of my favorites, and easily most under rated pieces on a deer.
1. Deer Heart (pan fired with butter, garlic, salt, pepper)
2. Shanks (braised in dutch oven)
3. Testes (pan fried in butter)

Those are the first 3 things I'll make after a kill.

Appreciate this Cody. Good advice!
Yep..I will also add don't go cheap either! There are things you can buy at Walmart and things you shouldn't. Here are some things that others may argue but i stand by it.

Binos, Scopes and spotting scopes: Swarovski binos ($1-3k), spotter ($3-4k), scopes ($1500-3k) vs. Burris, Vortex, etc. binos ($250-600) spotter ($800-1200), scopes ($250-500)
You won't really notice a difference out to 500+ yards. You will notice a difference but not huge as light is coming on in the AM or fading in the PM.

Coolers: Yeti ($200-700) vs, Walmart, etc brands ($50-200).. you won't notice a single difference. Anybody who says there is is lying.

Clothing : Sitka and Kuiu, etc. coats ($300-750), gloves ($70-100), pants ($200-400) vs. lots of other brands equally as good for half the price or more.

Footwear: here's where you don't skimp!!

Guns: Rifles...Christiansen Arms, Gunwerks etc. ($3k-10k) vs. Ruger, Browning, Remington, Howa, Savage, etc. ($500-$1500). Any of these will work fine out to 500 yards, which I hope you will not need that distance anyway. I have never shot an animal past 350 yards or needed too. I love all these guys who shoot animals at 700-1000 yards. My question to them is, are you that shitty of a hunter that you can't get within 400 yards of your target??

Guns: Shotguns...So many styles to choose from hard to give advice. I really like my Savage 12 gauge over/under

Calibers: Again, depends on what you're going after. 6.5 Creedmore is the sexy gun right now. Can shoot anything from Coyotes to Elk...I have a 22-250 for coyotes and varmints, 25-06 for coyotes to deer, and 300 Win Mag for deer/elk and bigger. I have not spent over $1200 for the gun + scope on any of my guns (Ruger, Howa guns and Burris, Zeiss optics) I have a Vortex Viper spotting scope and Vortex binos. Never in my life have I missed an animal due to equipment failure. I have missed many times due to my own error. When placing the bullet where I've aimed no animal has ever gone more than 20 yards without keeling over.

• Love
Yep..I will also add don't go cheap either! There are things you can buy at Walmart and things you shouldn't. Here are some things that others may argue but i stand by it.

Binos, Scopes and spotting scopes: Swarovski binos ($1-3k), spotter ($3-4k), scopes ($1500-3k) vs. Burris, Vortex, etc. binos ($250-600) spotter ($800-1200), scopes ($250-500)
You won't really notice a difference out to 500+ yards. You will notice a difference but not huge as light is coming on in the AM or fading in the PM.

Coolers: Yeti ($200-700) vs, Walmart, etc brands ($50-200).. you won't notice a single difference. Anybody who says there is is lying.

Clothing : Sitka and Kuiu, etc. coats ($300-750), gloves ($70-100), pants ($200-400) vs. lots of other brands equally as good for half the price or more.

Guns: Rifles...Christiansen Arms, Gunwerks etc. ($3k-10k) vs. Ruger, Browning, Remington, Howa, Savage, etc. ($500-$1500). Any of these will work fine out to 500 yards, which I hope you will not need that distance anyway. I have never shot an animal past 350 yards or needed too. I love all these guys who shoot animals at 700-1000 yards. My question to them is, are you that shitty of a hunter that you can't get within 400 yards of your target??

Guns: Shotguns...So many styles to choose from hard to give advice. I really like my Savage 12 gauge over/under

Calibers: Again, depends on what you're going after. 6.5 Creedmore is the sexy gun right now. Can shoot anything from Coyotes to Elk...I have a 22-250 for coyotes and varmints, 25-06 for coyotes to deer, and 300 Win Mag for deer/elk and bigger. I have not spent over $1200 for the gun + scope on any of my guns (Ruger, Howa guns and Burris, Zeiss optics) I have a Vortex Viper spotting scope and Vortex binos. Never in my life have I missed an animal due to equipment failure. I have missed many times due to my own error. When placing the bullet where I've aimed no animal has ever gone more than 20 yards without keeling over.
Holy Moly Cody! Thank you so much for this info!!
I’m on calls for a bit more today but then will dive into this in more detail.
And I agree. I don’t need the most expensive, although better typically does cost more and I typically go that route in life. And I can spot a good bargain.
Looks to be fantastic advice for which I am very grateful Brother.

I can snipe hunt with you!

Madbird, maybe I missed i but where do you live?
Hell, I'd be more than happy to show you what I know( a bit to some, absolutely nothing to others!) but I live in Colorado.
In your area, I would contact your local game and parks division and they often have Hunting 101 type classes.
Seriously though, if you live in Colorado I would be happy to help. I live north of Denver about 40 miles.

Bob

• Love
I would advise the first couple hunts to buy a package deal where you will hunt with a guide. A guide will be able to teach a fare amount about hunting. Also use the internet, magazines, Outdoor channel and just submerse yourself into the hunting world. I am addicted to hunting and fishing for the past 50+ years, hardcore. For some it is more than a hobby, but rather it is life.

I think overall I agree with what you're saying to a guy looking for a place to start, and who might not turn it into a life-long hobby/passion....I mean I grew up with Bushnell Binos and Tasco scopes too. It's a great way to learn.....but to say you won't notice a difference between a premium optic and a bargain optic is just asinine.

Same with coolers and clothing. If this guy says money isn't an issue and he wants to go on a high end quality elk hunt, he should be buying some premium performance clothing.....You also don't want to be sitting in a mountain range with an $800 spotting scope and a $250 rifle scope.

Can people do that? Sure....but I wouldn't want to.

I would do your research, spend an appropriate amount on gear, in relationship to what spending on your guided hunt, and don't worry about the people that say "real men shoot open sights out to 250yds"...your guide or retail store specialist will be good resources.

Also there is no substitute for just spending time in the woods. Year around, shed hunting, summer time scouting (video), possible early fall archery, rifle and muzzleloader seasons and then even a little predator hunting or ice fishing in the winter. Then you start all over, plus you add some summer time open water fishing and then bird hunting in thee fall. Your not married are you, cause if you are there could be a problem. :)

• Haha
Reactions: loper and madbird
Madbird, maybe I missed i but where do you live?
Hell, I'd be more than happy to show you what I know( a bit to some, absolutely nothing to others!) but I live in Colorado.
In your area, I would contact your local game and parks division and they often have Hunting 101 type classes.
Seriously though, if you live in Colorado I would be happy to help. I live north of Denver about 40 miles.

Bob
that is awesome my Brother. i live in the Austin, TX area. about 20-25min to the west.
what type of hunting do you do?

and i love the invite. i really do. i respond this way to people all the time btw. so if you ever want to visit Austin, let me know!

Reactions: ben1dan2
I think overall I agree with what you're saying to a guy looking for a place to start, and who might not turn it into a life-long hobby/passion....I mean I grew up with Bushnell Binos and Tasco scopes too. It's a great way to learn.....but to say you won't notice a difference between a premium optic and a bargain optic is just asinine.

Same with coolers and clothing. If this guy says money isn't an issue and he wants to go on a high end quality elk hunt, he should be buying some premium performance clothing.....You also don't want to be sitting in a mountain range with an $800 spotting scope and a $250 rifle scope.

I would do your research, spend an appropriate amount on gear, in relationship to what spending on your guided hunt, and don't worry about the people that say "real men shoot open sights out to 250yds"...your guide or retail store specialist will be good resources.
Tell me where I said to purchase bargain optics? I'm not suggesting Tasco's! Burris, Vortex, and Leupold make great optics!!

I will not argue the Swarovski is better. But is it worth the extra $2-3k for the average "weekend" hunter?? Unfortunately, in today's world many people (and you prove my point) make it seem you can't be successful without buying the most extreme high end, expensive gear. Sorry, but I'm not in that camp.

With all do respect I've watched many comparisons of the Vortex spotter (approx $1k) vs. Swarovski, Leica, etc. and only the most discerning eye could tell a difference at 1000 yds, and in many cases people thought the Vortex outperformed the Swarovski in good light conditions. Like I said, where the Swarovski shines (pardon the pun) is in low light conditions.

What I'm saying is, you can be very successful without spending 1000s upon 1000s to buy the most expensive name brands. I'm not encouraging buying Walmart quality but I'll say it again..Ferrari vs. Vette... Why spend $500k when the $100k machine is actually better and more reliable.

I encourage you to youtube some of these comparisons..especially the Yeti coolers, tumblers, etc. vs cheaper brands. Hardly noticeable if at all.

Reactions: BugeaterInWa

Appreciate this response too. I’m something of a dry sponge when I embark on a journey to learn things. I agree with your suggestion to pull in data from lots of sources!

Not gonna lie, Sitka is the best stuff on the market. Way to much $$$ but worth every penny.

Best recommendation I can give you is join a local gun club that has skeet shooting, and a minimum of 100 yard rifle range (preferably 300 yard or better).

You were in Texas so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a plethora of places. many clubs will have trainers available for hire Either on staff or my work a bulletin board Full of names and phone numbers.

There you can learn to handle weapons safely and shoot accurately. In the meantime you’ll be making plenty of contacts with people who can take you hunting On public land or if you’re lucky meet a couple of those huge ranch owners. Best way to learn it’s just get out there and do it.

Next time I go elk hunting I should let you know, and see if you would like to join me. Just be prepared, as it’s not cheap. I only hunt elk on private land anymore. Withe that expense, I’ve had about a 98% success rate since I made the conscious decision to only hunt private.

Also there is no substitute for just spending time in the woods. Year around, shed hunting, summer time scouting (video), possible early fall archery, rifle and muzzleloader seasons and then even a little predator hunting or ice fishing in the winter. Then you start all over, plus you add some summer time open water fishing and then bird hunting in thee fall. Your not married are you, cause if you are there could be a problem. :)
I am married. And I hear ya.
And we are good with each other feeding our passions even when they are not the same.
Also, great post/advice!

that is awesome my Brother. i live in the Austin, TX area. about 20-25min to the west.

and i love the invite. i really do. i respond this way to people all the time btw. so if you ever want to visit Austin, let me know!
I’m sure my younger brother would take you. He lives in your area.

I hunt pretty much everything. Turkeys in the spring thru geese into late winter.
I archery and rifle hunt deer, elk and occasionally bears.
I pheasant and quail hunt with my dog and I’m about to start chasing coyotes around.
There is a lot of good information on here and of course I have my opinions as well.
I am willing to spend some time on the phone with you if you would like.
Not sure if I should post my phone number on here or not but I’m happy to if that’s how we could connect.
I’m not looking for any compensation at all.
I just love talking/helping like minded folks.
Especially Husker fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT