ADVERTISEMENT

Kaelin staying N

I expect Kaelin to bounce. He only committed after Raiola committed to Georgia. I don’t blame him at all. Dylan is a prodigy, taught by the best. Dylan threw 31-0 this year at Buford, Danny threw I think 3 or 6 interceptions, in Nebraska. It’s simply unlikely that he beats him out and Danny knows that. He’d still have a decent coach and surrounding talent with Sparty. Having 3 elite 11 QBs in one room is tough to do.

I always remember running into Chris Kelce at The Bar during my college days...he was actually super cool and approachable....really wish I could've partied with Chad at the Schmeegs condiment bar
Kelsay-Feature-2-1021x580.png

Reactions: dpnavy and sloth316
My great fear is he feels slighted by chasing Raiola again, and takes another offer. Then Raiola stays with UGA. PTSD is strong.
While I get that, DK taking visits is a really predictable reaction to DR setting up a visit here this weekend.

I can't imagine any scenario on earth the Raiola family allows this to occur unless the deal is done with DR.

While I get that, DK taking visits is a really predictable reaction to DR setting up a visit here this weekend.

I can't imagine any scenario on earth the Raiola family allows this to occur unless the deal is done with DR.
Believe me, I agree completely with that sentiment and don't fault DK at all. I also don't see how Raiolas would play Nebraska that way, but damn I've seen a lot heartbreak in the last 20 years.

Like others, I can't blame DK from re-evaluating his options, but at the end of the day, you're going to have to compete with other talented kids to win the starting QB job at most any P5 program, so you can't avoid that. No doubt 5 star recruits like Raiola have a leg up in leverage, at least from the get-go, but he'll still have to perform to keep the job. If DK thinks he has no chance to compete based on abilities, it makes the excitement of potentially getting Raiola that much greater.

Reactions: timnsun
I expect Kaelin to bounce. He only committed after Raiola committed to Georgia. I don’t blame him at all. Dylan is a prodigy, taught by the best. Dylan threw 31-0 this year at Buford, Danny threw I think 3 or 6 interceptions, in Nebraska. It’s simply unlikely that he beats him out and Danny knows that. He’d still have a decent coach and surrounding talent with Sparty. Having 3 elite 11 QBs in one room is tough to do.
We wouldn't take DK's commitment until DR chose Georgia.

Reactions: HuskerDrew
Our message to him was that we would still honor his scholarship but would understand if he looked elsewhere. We didn’t exactly beg him to stay on board. The plan was never to use 2 scholarships on HS QBs

Tough business - I wouldn’t blame the Kaelin camp if they felt they were done dirty

Last edited:
Reactions: meo1960 and WHCSC
This is understandable, but disappointing if he goes to MSU. Our program has to do what's best for the program, and he has to do what's best for him. Hopefully that means staying here, but if he moves on because of DR, we count our blessings and wish Kaelin the best.

I'd hate to be an 18 year old with all that pressure on me.

No he did not. Keller broke his collarbone against Texas. Otherwise Callahan would have had Ganz riding pine the whole season.
Technically Ganz beat him out but Keller was guaranteed the starting spot so it didn't matter, so the story goes. Hard to doubt given Keller wasn't all that good before the injury, and Ganz put up, like, 1,200 yards and 15 TDs or whatever nonsense in 3 starts, including whipping Ron Prince's bare ass for 7 TDs.

Our message to him was that we would still honor his scholarship but would understand if he looked elsewhere. We didn’t exactly beg him to stay on board. The plan was never to use 2 scholarships on HS QBs

Tough business
I would try to entice him to stay. Sure we didn't plan on 2 hs qbs but keeping DK basically ensures Purdy leaves. Would only carry 3 scholly qbs anyway.

His friendship with cosgrove meaning more than keeping this job is what ended his career in Lincoln.
He had Cosgrove for 4 years, Keller for 8 games.
Anointing him starter without even a staged competition divided the locker room from the start in 2007.

Had Keller never transferred, and Ganz started, Callahan likely remains, Gabbert does not go to Misery, and Cosgrove is just an irritant.

Just my opinion.
I happened to be living back at the farmhouse in 2007 caring for my father, and had plenty of time. Jason Peter was tearing it up over the airwaves, and tge going thought was promising a transfer the starting spot was a very risky proposition.

Meh, he's not a difference maker like Raiola. And the coaches were upfront with him from the beginning that they wanted Raiola. We need to bring in better talent than him, and it sounds like we are going to.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Sorry but who cares how this kid feels. If he feels he was done wrong then he and his family are dumb. Nobody is gonna pick him over raiola and raiola has always been top priority. 100 percent chance that he was explained that. It’s like comparing a super model to a haggard floozy

Reactions: leodisflowers
I hate to see DK go. Kid recruited his ass off for us and did everything right. You wonder if he will try to sway some guys to decom that he helped recruit.

Reactions: grimlock78
Meh, he's not a difference maker like Raiola. And the coaches were upfront with him from the beginning that they wanted Raiola. We need to bring in better talent than him, and it sounds like we are going to.
Yup. Imagine if Frost had pulled Burrow instead of rolling with Adrian? He may still be coaching here. Have to swing for the fences. Dylan is that Tommie Frazier-Eric Crouch Heisman type QB who can change a program.

Last edited:
If Raiola signs as expected (and stays healthy), there will be no real QB competition and everybody knows that. Kaelin isn't getting the start over Raiola, that's just the reality of the situation. Can't blame him for exploring other options.
If Kaelin redshirts and Raiola is everything he’s billed as, Kaelin could still end up a 2,year starter after Raiola left for the NFL. My advice to Kaelin would be to stick with the Huskers and see where you’re at 2 years from now. His path to being a starter likely won’t be much if any easier at MSU.

Tough business - I wouldn’t blame the Kaelin camp if they felt they were done dirty
How

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
If Kaelin redshirts and Raiola is everything he’s billed as, Kaelin could still end up a 2,year starter after Raiola left for the NFL. My advice to Kaelin would be to stick with the Huskers and see where you’re at 2 years from now. His path to being a starter likely won’t be much if any easier at MSU.
That’s not a thing. He will be looking to get a bag within the next 2 years. Being an almost guaranteed 3rd on the depth chart won’t help him secure that $. Times have changed. Playing time early has never meant more.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I guess if I were Kalin I would look at maybe some place else if he can. Aidan Chiles who was with Smith at Oregon State is headed to MSU and I think he was kind of a big get out of HS. Only going to be a Soph. too.
I would stick with NU. If he’s not happy with his situation at NU he can always transfer. Follow your heart to NU and only leave if there’s no chance it’s going to work. MSU won’t give a sh## about him even if he ends up a starter. He could never start a game for NU and still be a hero in the state.

Reactions: jimmykrackedkorn
Joe Ganz beat out Sam Keller.
As stated, that was due to injury but could use

Stentson Bennett beat out JT Daniels (5 star). Yes originally this was from an injury too but when Daniel’s was healthy, they kept Bennett as starter for a few seasons.

3 stars have been beaten out 5 stars. It happens.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's tough. Feel for the kid. He decommited from mizzou after DR committed to Georgia. And did a lot of peer recruiting. Nature of the game I guess but still tough. Hope he remains N
Sympathy depends on what side of decommitments you are on. I doubt Mizzou fans feel sorry for him. And of course in NIL era, he could simply stick around on scholarship (and NIL presumably) for a redshirt year and then hit the portal. He has options.

He also surely understands that even if Raiola comes here, there is no guarantee he won’t leave via NIL or get injured. And who knows, Kaelin may turn out to be a much better college qb.

That’s not a thing. He will be looking to get a bag within the next 2 years. Being an almost guaranteed 3rd on the depth chart won’t help him secure that $. Times have changed. Playing time early has never meant more.
He’s going to get a bag on day one at NU.

I guess if I were Kaelin I would look at maybe some place else if he can. Aidan Chiles who was with Smith at Oregon State is headed to MSU and I think he was kind of a big get out of HS. Only going to be a Soph. too.

Yeah I don't understand how Michigan State is a better situation for him now, Aidan Chiles is Coach Smith's guy and will be the starter there for the next 3 years.

I just don’t get why DK would go to Mich St, who was supposedly expected to get Chiles from OSU to follow Smith. He’s young and likely to play over Kaelin so he won’t have a better chance at MSU either. JMO

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT