ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt post spring top 25

using that logic, i could choose to compare texas/ou to ucla/uw.
Why? Why wouldn’t you take the top two teams?

What you are suggesting isn’t logical at all. It really doesn’t make sense.

Why? Why wouldn’t you take the top two teams?

What you are suggesting isn’t logical at all. It really doesn’t make sense.
because it doesn't fit your narrative, it does not make sense. lol to that. reality is that texas/ou to the sec is going to be a bigger deal than o and usc to the b10 as well because the sec games won't be against the purdue, minnesota, illinois, indiana, northwestern dolts of college football. random tv viewers tune in compelling match-ups.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
because it doesn't fit your narrative, it does not make sense. lol to that. reality is that texas/ou to the sec is going to be a bigger deal than o and usc to the b10 as well because the sec games won't be against the purdue, minnesota, illinois, indiana, northwestern dolts of college football. random tv viewers tune in compelling match-ups.
Apples to apples is Texas/OU (2 top 20 teams) compared to Oregon/USC (2 top 20 teams). Apples to oranges is Texas/OU compared to UW/UCLA.

And you claim I have a narrative? Wow.

Apples to apples is Texas/OU (2 top 20 teams) compared to Oregon/USC (2 top 20 teams). Apples to oranges is Texas/OU compared to UW/UCLA.

And you claim I have a narrative? Wow.
did you even read what i wrote? good grief.

did you even read what i wrote? good grief.
Of course I did. That doesn’t change the comparison however. Your initial post was that OU/UT would be more impactful than the four PAC schools joining the B1G. Another poster asked why not compare the 2 highest rated schools moving to new conferences, and you responded you could have easily said OU/UT vs UW/UCLA.

That was a stupid thing to say, as that’s not comparing strength to strength. That’s what I took issue with.

Notice, I didn’t take issue with your initial post. I didn’t have a problem with it. But I certainly had a problem with the comparison to UW/UCLA. So I posted how that wasn’t a good comparison.

Get it?

Reactions: leodisflowers
i know i cant wait for Texas to play Vanderbilt

one vanderbilt, then the b10 northwestern, indiana, purdue, illinois, iowa, and i'd go on but won't.
feel free. below are the most viewed games from last year:
  • Ohio State-Michigan: 19.07M (Fox)
  • Georgia-Alabama (SEC Championship): 17.52M (CBS)
  • Colorado-Oregon: 10.03M (ABC)
  • Michigan-Iowa (Big Ten Championship): 10.02 million (Fox)
  • Ohio State-Notre Dame: 9.98M (NBC)
  • Penn State-Ohio State: 9.96M (Fox)
  • Colorado State-Colorado: 9.3M (ESPN)
  • Oregon-Washington (Pac-12 Championship): 9.25M (ABC)
  • LSU-Florida State: 9.17M (ABC)
  • Michigan-Penn State: 9.16M (Fox)
7/10 involved 2024 B1G teams.

2/10 involved 2024 SEC teams.

Turns out normal people don't really care about Ole Miss and Missouri.

Man.

It's tough to watch a murder right here on our own message board.

GM3vtuvasAA8Pc8
He must think we will beat the Buffs.

correct, it is michigan and ohio state. then the prime effect.

who cares? did you just find out that Michigan and Ohio State are in the B1G?

you can't judge the B1G by Purdue & Northwestern and the SEC by Alabama & Georgia.

Ohio State/Oregon is going to be a huge draw
yes, that will be a great matchup. look forward to watching will howard otherwise probably would not watch other than the score. so will texas v. michigan (i'll take the horns). then texas v. uga, which i suspect will be a bigger view than oregon/ohio. we'll see. interesting match-ups for sure.

Last edited:
yes, that will be a great matchup. look forward to watching will howard otherwise probably would not watch other than the score. so will texas v. michigan (i'll take the horns). then texas v. uga, which i suspect will be a bigger view than oregon/ohio. we'll see. interesting match-ups for sure.
You wouldn’t watch the Ohio state/Oregon matchup if not for Will Howard? For real?

considering Ohio State draws more viewers than Georgia, and Oregon draws more viewers than Texas, that'd be a surprising outcome, but if Texas and Georgia both enter that game undefeated I could see it.

I won't be surprised if the Texas/Michigan game ends up being one of those games where we look back at the end of the season and realize it was two teams that weren't as good as their ranking indicated.

You wouldn’t watch the Ohio state/Oregon matchup if not for Will Howard? For real?
correct. i'd far prefer seeing a b12 game. the only time i watch the b10 is when N is playing and there's not a compelling b12 game. utah/oSu is going to be must watch for me. all the ku games to see if they're a threat. byu/utah is the holy war after all. why would i care what's happening in c'bus other than to see will howard? most of the time i'm in 'the bill' anyway or the cats are on the philco.

considering Ohio State draws more viewers than Georgia, and Oregon draws more viewers than Texas, that'd be a surprising outcome, but if Texas and Georgia both enter that game undefeated I could see it.

I won't be surprised if the Texas/Michigan game ends up being one of those games where we look back at the end of the season and realize it was two teams that weren't as good as their ranking indicated.
I’m a little surprised Michigan is being ranked as high as they are after losing so many players, 13 to the draft alone, but I guess you have to give the defending champs respect. I’d be shocked if they get to the Ohio State game undefeated again, probably a 3 loss team this year

it's generally that way with texas. although sark seems to have built the program up from what we saw before. that's why i'm curious to see how they do this year after losing those two studs in the middle of the d'line plus some fine receivers to the nfl.

I’m a little surprised Michigan is being ranked as high as they are after losing so many players, 13 to the draft alone, but I guess you have to give the defending champs respect. I’d be shocked if they get to the Ohio State game undefeated again, probably a 3 loss team this year
yep, that and how many coaches are successful following a legend? few. damn few.

michigan state will be interesting. i believe smith to be a very good coach. albeit, he's out of his territory at east lansing.

it's generally that way with texas. although sark seems to have built the program up from what we saw before. that's why i'm curious to see how they do this year after losing those two studs in the middle of the d'line plus some fine receivers to the nfl.

Receivers are going to be just as good as last year, even with the losses of Worthy and Mitchell. Bond, Cook, Golden, Bolden, and Wingo will make for a much deeper WR room. DL is definitely the big question mark. It's going to take lots of dudes step up to fill the void left by Sweat and Murphy. Back to back games against Oklahoma and Georgia is going to show us how good they will be though.

Receivers are going to be just as good as last year, even with the losses of Worthy and Mitchell. Bond, Cook, Golden, Bolden, and Wingo will make for a much deeper WR room. DL is definitely the big question mark. It's going to take lots of dudes step up to fill the void left by Sweat and Murphy. Back to back games against Oklahoma and Georgia is going to show us how good they will be though.
that game v. aTm is going to be high drama as well. glad to see the rivalry back. just awful what we've done setting games like that aside. ku/missouri, ou/N the same. thankfully, some of them are coming back like utah/byu. but losing "bedlam," geezzz.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
you can’t act like every SEC matchup is gold. The group you mentioned would be on par with Arkansas, Miss. St., Vanderbilt, and South Carolina

Reactions: BleedRed78
you can’t act like every SEC matchup is gold. The group you mentioned would be on par with Arkansas, Miss. St., Vanderbilt, and South Carolina
three of those four play in wild arse environments and football saturdays are special. vandy is awful. agree.

"even though we lost the best receiving corp we've had in decades, we'll be just as good"

highly doubt that. Texas finishes with 3+ losses next year, Quinn Ewers drops out of any first round consideration after getting prison-raped by Georgia

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
correct. i'd far prefer seeing a b12 game. the only time i watch the b10 is when N is playing and there's not a compelling b12 game. utah/oSu is going to be must watch for me. all the ku games to see if they're a threat. byu/utah is the holy war after all. why would i care what's happening in c'bus other than to see will howard? most of the time i'm in 'the bill' anyway or the cats are on the philco.
I get wanting to watch your team or your conference. Generally, I feel the same. But the conference game I would want to watch would have to be compelling to miss a big game like this, in my opinion.

I get wanting to watch your team or your conference. Generally, I feel the same. But the conference game I would want to watch would have to be compelling to miss a big game like this, in my opinion.
although a big game v. oregon, no question, it has no impact on me personally other than seeing will howard's play. i'm that way with bama/auburn, usc/ucla and so on, i.e. more likely just to watch the score than the game, preferring instead to watch b12 play.

i just way prefer watching games that impact my team than other conferences even though theirs are more compelling on a national scene like ohio/oregon. i will tune in N whenever it's the next alternative though but not sure why? i guess it's old ego state tapes that draw me, plus having been in the memorial many times.

Reactions: timnsun
I am a University of Nebraska alum

if you'd rather listen to former Buffs, knock yourself out
Since when did it matter where sports journalists went to school? Keith Jackson didn’t go to Nebraska and he was “nails”. I dont get your point with this one. Klatt is pretty insightful. You can have your occasional douche bag like D Howard…..but Klatt is not that. (Rhyme).

Reactions: Gary.Busey
Unlike most former athletes that go in broadcasting, you'd have no idea Klatt was a former Buff by just listening to him. I find him about the most balanced and entertaining CFB personality there is, and his weekly segments with Cowherd are freaking hilarious...the fact he speaks highly of us is just gravy on top o the taters.

one vanderbilt, then the b10 northwestern, indiana, purdue, illinois, iowa, and i'd go on but won't.
Have you actually looked at Oregon's schedule? OSU at Oregon. Oregon at Michigan. Oregon at Wisconsin. Throw in Oregon vs. UCLA and Washington, decent matchups.

Pundits have to find something to write about in the off season so speculating on the rankings for the upcoming season is always a popular choice. BUT as I've said many times before just keep in mind those projections will be proven wrong and quickly forgotten once the real games get underway. How many people still talk about the pre-season rankings for last year?

Klatt always gives Nebraska the benefit of the doubt and this time I hope he is right.

I don't like any of the teams in new leagues to do as well as he thinks because in my opinion it is more difficult for coaching staffs to gameplan against a full slate of new teams than people think.

I also have a hard time believing in Ole Miss and Missouri. Having those two teams near the top of the SEC says more about the state of that league than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT