ADVERTISEMENT

J. Lawrence leaving

live look at Fred vs the 2023 season flash-in-the-pan-o-meter

1*ZaxfgqCN8pAW21nYk753aA.gif

The best teams will still build their rosters from the HS level and then address roster needs yearly with high end transfers selected to add more specific strengths. Teams that compete consistently in their conference will do the same.

Coaches who can retain and develop their best players, then supplement the rest of the roster with quality transfers (with an occasional transfer game changer) will succeed going forward. If your program/coach has the ability to retain their best players that huge advantage IMO. Teams like Purdue, Duke, Creighton, Uconn and Alabama have been pretty good at this so far, but this is just the beginning, the age of “college free agency” is just in it’s infancy.

Of the 15 players that have been part of UCONN’s rotation the past two seasons, 5 are transfers.

Of the 15 players that have been part of UCONN’s rotation the past two seasons, 5 are transfers.

They are retaining talent and supplementing the roster with quality transfers. Sounds like Hurley has the early blueprint for success in the “portal era”.

Reactions: inWV
The only guy on the transfer list that you say “damn he might be tough to replace” is Lawrence. Just have too see what we can buy on the free agent market. 😕

They are all easily replaced. Tough to see young guys with potential leave, but the portal is how we upgraded our team last season.

Lawrence is massively overrated by a few posters on here. There is a reason he was phased out to the bench. Williams is an excellent ball handler and he will be back. Add a legit 3-and-D guy or even someone like Creighton's Ashworth along with 2 big bodies and we should be ready to roll. Someone like Jacobson will step up off the bench into a Wilcher/Lawrence role.

They are all easily replaced. Tough to see young guys with potential leave, but the portal is how we upgraded our team last season.

Lawrence is massively overrated by a few posters on here. There is a reason he was phased out to the bench. Williams is an excellent ball handler and he will be back. Add a legit 3-and-D guy or even someone like Creighton's Ashworth along with 2 big bodies and we should be ready to roll. Someone like Jacobson will step up off the bench into a Wilcher/Lawrence role.
This. People want to win tourney games. I'm not sure Lawrence is the guy who is going to win tourney games as a starter. He also is good enough to start somewhere so it's highly unlikely he was going to stay as a 6th man. Such is the world we live in.

Reactions: IowaHuskr

I agree with this, to me it sucks more on the depth end. We probably only need about 3-4 for the actual rotation, but it would be nice to have some of these guys stay and develop for depth reasons. Lawrence probably will go somewhere small so he can be the focal point, but he was going to have an expanded role going forward. The others I definitely agree. Wilcher easily replaced, Keita - He didn't even play, Lloyd never saw the floor, etc... All dudes outside of Lawrence are easily replaced, I just hope there is some talent left. 7 or 8 is a big number to fill to actually get hopefully 3-4 who pan out.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
This. People want to win tourney games. I'm not sure Lawrence is the guy who is going to win tourney games as a starter. He also is good enough to start somewhere so it's highly unlikely he was going to stay as a 6th man. Such is the world we live in.
Yep he goes and maybe becomes a starter for a 12-20 A-10 team.

Idk much about RI as a program - must be all about starting?
Danny Hurley got his head coaching chops there. Don’t know much about their current coach.

I thought Lawrence might land at Providence or Seton Hall. Didn’t see him going to the A-10.

Reactions: king_kong_
With clock ticking on eligibility, my advice to my kid would be to find a place where you can play. There is good basketball everywhere.

With clock ticking on eligibility, my advice to my kid would be to find a place where you can play. There is good basketball everywhere.
Yeah I would have a hard time riding the pine as a college player but JL was probably going to be a starter for us next year…..unless Fred told him otherwise.

Yeah I would have a hard time riding the pine as a college player but JL was probably going to be a starter for us next year…..unless Fred told him otherwise.
I think Lawrence either would have started or played starter-like minutes, like he did most of last year.

I expected Lawrence to look for a program that's more up-tempo, since his skill set is a better fit in a full-court game. But, Rhode Island really isn't that. Maybe he has some connection to Archie Miller or one of the assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT