ADVERTISEMENT

It's so obvious why the Big Ten struggles in the NCAA Tourney..

Cornicator

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
I love the NCAA tourney, but this one seems extra special. Maybe it finally feels normal again after two years of weirdness.

But as I watch these games, I'm reminded that I'm not watching a Big Ten game. Good defense or even great defense in the NCAA tourney is almost always called a foul in the Big Ten, especially out on the perimeter.

And in the NCAA tourney, when a top half Big Ten team hacks some random dude from a #10 seed driving to the hoop, it's called a foul. When you play at Wisconsin, you don't get those calls.

I keep seeing people theorizing why the Big Ten struggles. Some people point at talent. I think that's laughable considering the league likely has 2 lottery picks this season. Other people think it's coaching and style of play. I think the style of play and the talent has adapted to such a terribly officiated conference.

Teams are likely winning games they would lose with different officials. And Big Ten teams are poorly prepared when they get the postseason because of this reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News