ADVERTISEMENT

iowa's running game

All i can say is i pray Iowa lines up and tries to run at us all game. Theres a reason Valentine and Collins are big time NFL guys and future first rounders.

You don't have to pray, I can guarantee Iowa will try to establish the ground game. With that being said, Austin Blythe and Jordan Walsh will get their shot to play in the NFL as well. So I am looking forward to seeing them against Valentine & Collins.

Maybe that's because you haven't played a rush O as good as Iowa's?
Lol so ur saying that Iowas oline is better than MSU? I think the majority of analysts would disagree with u. Iowas run game is where it's at cuz of Beathard is what I initially tried to say. Perhaps I did a poor job of getting my point across. Think about rudock who threw majority 5 yard outs/crossing routes. Much easier to defend the run compared to Beathard who throws downfield & is mobile

More concerned about Beatherd ability to scramble one things break down than I am of Iowas ground game. Outside of the Rutgers game we have not had much luck getting to the QB and the Purdue/NW QBs had success scrambling. The good news is this will be by far the healthiest we have been all year and will actually have some depth on the line and at LB.

Reactions: CornFed Gregger
Lol so ur saying that Iowas oline is better than MSU? I think the majority of analysts would disagree with u. Iowas run game is where it's at cuz of Beathard is what I initially tried to say. Perhaps I did a poor job of getting my point across. Think about rudock who threw majority 5 yard outs/crossing routes. Much easier to defend the run compared to Beathard who throws downfield & is mobile

I will say that this years MSU team has the worst ground game they've ever had with Dantonio and Connor Cook has taken more shots this year than he has in past years.

Maybe that's because you haven't played a rush O as good as Iowa's?

maybe so, but Iowa avg 4.8 per carry, good for 33rd in the country. Let's not act like you guys are 95 Nebraska.

IA FB made a nice form tackle on the MN LB to spring IA RB for the long touchdown run. He wrapped him up both hands outside the shoulders.
There is no way that linebacker would have made the tackle regardless of where the guys hands were. Go watch it full speed from the ez shot.

He attacked the opposite shoulder of the fullback so he was on the other side of the blocker. He would have had to have gone through the blocker to make the tackle which wouldn't have happened.

I will say that this years MSU team has the worst ground game they've ever had with Dantonio and Connor Cook has taken more shots this year than he has in past years.
MSU has dealt with multiple guys missing games ever since the Oregon game. The Nebraska game was the first they had all 5 starters back so maybe they lacked chemistry that game. Still you'd expect MSU to lose yards on the ground with Cook as the star QB & considering their last two backs were Bell & Langsford.
It's impossible to simply point out stats to compare the two when Iowa & MSU face different scenarios & opponents.
Simply think MSU has more experience & currently more talent with the front 5. Doesn't mean Beathard still won't scramble for 50 or more.

Absolutely Iowa has a better O-Line than Michigan State, especially with the injuries they have been having. Iowa's O-Line has struggled in pass protection, but this is the best run blocking line Iowa has had since 2002.

The difference between Iowa's running game this year and in years past is that Iowa can run the ball when they need to. At the end of games, when Iowa has needed to grind out first downs (and the clock), they have been able to do it pretty successfully.

A big part in NU's front 7 will be HEALTH finally. Looks like they cam out of Rutgers game fairly healthy. The Bye week is finally here and getting the front 7 all healthy at one time hasn't happened all year long. Rose Ivey will be a big time playmaker for NU at LB on Black Friday and will hopefully be as close to 100% healthy as can be. Bando and Weber are both playing great football and very good run stuffing MIKE's. Bringing Gerry down in the box for the 8th defender will help in the run game. Obviously NU's DB's in coverage will have to play a great game, but C Jones has looked great and only getting better with more reps and study the next 2 weeks. Should be a great game and I don't think either team is going to get into the 30's at the end of the day.
Great news I want a healthy Nebraska for this game last time Iowa played in Lincoln all I heard were injury excuses for losing the game.

The Trojan guy trolls on the Iowa boards all the time. I guess with no decent USC football to speak of out there, he has to troll here.
It's just weird that a Trojan would care about Iowa at all. I could see why he'd maybe want to talk with us, because we have played them a couple of times recently, but I don't get it.

Think it is going to be a really physical game; turnovers may be the key for whatever team wins. Really like Neb DL so Iowa will have to get creative with the running game and moving the pocket some.

Should be fun and at least it means something for both teams

It's just weird that a Trojan would care about Iowa at all. I could see why he'd maybe want to talk with us, because we have played them a couple of times recently, but I don't get it.
He just tries to get everyone's ass hairs up on Iowa's board, which he usually does...LOL Hell, he probably is actually from Ames and is an Iowa State fan......:)

Last edited:
I'm an anomaly as I a foot (and a part of my heart) in both Nebraska and Iowa camps.

For the Iowa rabble rousers, Nebraska will be the 3rd, or maybe the 4th or 5th staunchest run defense Iowa has faced. Where they rank remains to be seen. Wisconsin was easily the sternest, and Iowa struggled mightily to run against them. Pitt wasn't much easier, but the Oline was very, very green as opposed to what it is 12 games in. The next level down to date was Illinois and Northwestern. Where will Nebraska fall? Probably 3rd. Will they be closer to Wisky or Pitt, or Illinois and NW? Frankly, I would guess neither. I think Nebraska will be able to hold Iowa under 200 yds rushing, but not by much. This is a long ways from Wisky and Pitt

Illinois has better tackle play than most want to admit, and NFL ability just like the Nebraska tackles. They made it hard on Iowa at moments, but Iowa's running game eventually put the definitive stamp on the game. The same can be said for the NW game, minus the top level talent at tackle.

Due to injury induced mobility of Beathard, Illinois and NW saw the least amount of balance from Iowa all year, thus good games for a run/pass imbalance, and Iowa excelled when faced with that.

For the Nebraska chest beaters - Iowa is incredibly balanced, and will be a very stiff test for the Nebraska D. IMO it is an ill-informed position to discount the Iowa line play, particularly in comparison to MSU - even prior to the injuries that brought a beat up Sparty unit to Lincoln.

One of, if saltiest lines Nebraska will play this year, with a mobile and accurate QB, and four very good college running backs lends me to beleive Nebraska will have to play better than they did against MSU or Rutgers, or at anytime during the year to break the hearts of Iowa. Simply put, Iowa is every bit MSU's equal this year, better at some units, not as good at others.....on both sides of the ball. Defensively, Iowa isn't as good up front, it's a push at LB, but arguably better in the secondary.

It's mostly bluster to ignore this. Back to the Oline....the new Joe Moore semifinalist (new award for the country's best Oline) announced today provide and objective validation of the mettle of Iowa's OLINE.

Whoever wins, will have earned it. If both play clean, both will put up points. Whoever loses will likely be a tougher out than either side wants to admit.

If the game gets away from either team, which I don't believe is likely, it's probably in Iowa's favor.

All i can say is i pray Iowa lines up and tries to run at us all game. Theres a reason Valentine and Collins are big time NFL guys and future first rounders.

You realize Iowa has up to 5 future NFL players on the OL, right?

The 3 interior players will all be drafted.

I'm an anomaly as I a foot (and a part of my heart) in both Nebraska and Iowa camps.

For the Iowa rabble rousers, Nebraska will be the 3rd, or maybe the 4th or 5th staunchest run defense Iowa has faced. Where they rank remains to be seen. Wisconsin was easily the sternest, and Iowa struggled mightily to run against them. Pitt wasn't much easier, but the Oline was very, very green as opposed to what it is 12 games in. The next level down to date was Illinois and Northwestern. Where will Nebraska fall? Probably 3rd. Will they be closer to Wisky or Pitt, or Illinois and NW? Frankly, I would guess neither. I think Nebraska will be able to hold Iowa under 200 yds rushing, but not by much. This is a long ways from Wisky and Pitt

Illinois has better tackle play than most want to admit, and NFL ability just like the Nebraska tackles. They made it hard on Iowa at moments, but Iowa's running game eventually put the definitive stamp on the game. The same can be said for the NW game, minus the top level talent at tackle.

Due to injury induced mobility of Beathard, Illinois and NW saw the least amount of balance from Iowa all year, thus good games for a run/pass imbalance, and Iowa excelled when faced with that.

For the Nebraska chest beaters - Iowa is incredibly balanced, and will be a very stiff test for the Nebraska D. IMO it is an ill-informed position to discount the Iowa line play, particularly in comparison to MSU - even prior to the injuries that brought a beat up Sparty unit to Lincoln.

One of, if saltiest lines Nebraska will play this year, with a mobile and accurate QB, and four very good college running backs lends me to beleive Nebraska will have to play better than they did against MSU or Rutgers, or at anytime during the year to break the hearts of Iowa. Simply put, Iowa is every bit MSU's equal this year, better at some units, not as good at others.....on both sides of the ball. Defensively, Iowa isn't as good up front, it's a push at LB, but arguably better in the secondary.

It's mostly bluster to ignore this. Back to the Oline....the new Joe Moore semifinalist (new award for the country's best Oline) announced today provide and objective validation of the mettle of Iowa's OLINE.

Whoever wins, will have earned it. If both play clean, both will put up points. Whoever loses will likely be a tougher out than either side wants to admit.

If the game gets away from either team, which I don't believe is likely, it's probably in Iowa's favor.

Pretty much spot on. Although I do have to correct you in saying that Iowa struggled to run the ball against Wisconsin- Iowa ran the ball pretty effectively. Canzeri ran for 125 yards at a 5 ypc clip. However, Beathard was sacked 5 or 6 times, which dropped his rushing yards significantly.

The only way Nebraska stops Iowa's rushing attack is to stack 8 or 9 in the box and bring a variety of corner and run blitzes. Of course, this exposes an already vulnerable pass defense. Nebraska's best defense will likely be the weather, as a really windy day could make it difficult for Iowa to throw the ball (like the Wisconsin game).

Why does a Trojan care about any of this? You seem to have a very detailed description of Iowa here.
I had those idiots to cover and they couldn't despite holding every freaking play ! Could careless about the usual 'we are better than you ' our conference is better than yours ' ... it's all about the point spread.
Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Husker are favored over 'unbeaten' Iowa

MSU is also a semifinalist for that award. The difference between the two ground games is probably the backs since Daniels looks like the real deal. Still think Iowas oline was better last year with Scherff & donnell (Can't remember the RT's name drafted by the Rams)

Collins/Valentine will by no means shut down Iowas run game but they are the biggest pair of DT's Iowas seen all year. Illinois, NW, Wisky, or Pitt don't have two guys over 300 taking up space in the middle & that's also due to running either a 3-4 vs 4-3 scheme.

This isn't ur typical Wisky ground game where talented oline/backs dominate the game. Like u said Iowas a very balanced offense & I said earlier the difference in Iowas run game is Beathard & play calling. Greg Davis can really open up the play calling when there really isn't a throw that Beathard can't make which automatically makes a defense unable to load the box.

Good comparison minus the 3-4 front, is Pitt. Narduzzi & Banker both run quarters & believe in shutting down the run. Does that mean Nebraska will perform like Pitt? No but Nebraska will sellout against the run & leave their corners on an island no matter the outcome of the passing game. They've done it all year which is why I think Beathard may end up having a big big day.

Iowa has 5 future NFL lineman? Blythe is for sure NFL ready but first year starters Myers & Boettger won't be ready for another year or two

I had those idiots to cover and they couldn't despite holding every freaking play ! Could careless about the usual 'we are better than you ' our conference is better than yours ' ... it's all about the point spread.
Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Husker are favored over 'unbeaten' Iowa
Is there no team in the Pac 12 worth watching that you have to spend your time in the Midwest? USC is good when there boosters are active in recruiting, Stanford just lost the only Pac 12 chance at the playoffs, to a bad Oregon team that was taken outside the woodshed by Michigan State, who was beaten by this Husker team. Stanford also lost to Northwestern, who was spanked by the very Iowa team you loath. I actually feel sorry for you, since you have to come to the BIG to find some real football to talk about. LOL I am sure that if you live on the Pacific coast, you should easily be about to find some snow blower who can set you up with some meds to ease your suffering.

You realize Iowa has up to 5 future NFL players on the OL, right?

The 3 interior players will all be drafted.

This...the interior of the Iowa o-line is really really good, best i have ever seen at Iowa. Plus iowa now has a speed back that can get the edge and even their big back Daniels is pretty damn fast.

This...the interior of the Iowa o-line is really really good, best i have ever seen at Iowa. Plus iowa now has a speed back that can get the edge and even their big back Daniels is pretty damn fast.

Plus they are excellent as a unit. Sometimes there are stars all over a line but don`t work as a unit, Iowa does.

Reactions: unIowa
LOL @ bitching and crying about holding. Thought I ended up at the Penn State board for a second.

Next thing you'll be crying about is poor and inconsistent spotting of the ball . What a bunch of whiny little girls.
Took the words right out of my mouth. 10-0

The body snatchers ... is their Big 10 nickname. What went on vs Minny last nite was a crime. 15 penalties on Minny, 2 on the Herks despite the body snatchers in full grab mode[/QUOTE
Why does a Trojan care about any of this? You seem to have a very detailed description of Iowa here.
Troll from USC just talking crap.Next you will be claiming coaches are drinking on the sideline- Aren't those free trials fun to take advantage of running from board shooting off your mouth

Many won't have a choice.

Huh? Is it really that bad? Two bordering states posting on each others message boards because they play a big game in a week? I thought that was the point of rivals.

Forgive me if I missed the really bad Iowa fans, but I don't think its near that level.

Huh? Is it really that bad? Two bordering states posting on each others message boards because they play a big game in a week? I thought that was the point of rivals.

Forgive me if I missed the really bad Iowa fans, but I don't think its near that level.
You're all annoying. Trying to talk up about this new toy you've gotten, that every other kid has had for years.

Your team is good, nowhere close to great, yet you spend all your posts on the board of a team that sucks this year, trying to convince them of how good you are.

See how pathetic that is? Go talk crap to Ohio state or something if you really feel you're that good, rather than bitching about how a 5-6 team will have a tough game against you.

You're all annoying. Trying to talk up about this new toy you've gotten, that every other kid has had for years.

Your team is good, nowhere close to great, yet you spend all your posts on the board of a team that sucks this year, trying to convince them of how good you are.

See how pathetic that is? Go talk crap to Ohio state or something if you really feel you're that good, rather than bitching about how a 5-6 team will have a tough game against you.

Then don't read the threads. Let the Hawkeye and Cornhusker fans who want to talk about our teams, and the game, talk about their teams and the game.

No one is forcing you to read these threads or to participate in these threads.

Reactions: Hawks!!!
wouldn't be too surprised if iowa has periods where they move the ball pretty efficiently. i am hoping we see a strong "bend but don't break" mentality. hold them to 3 more than the 7. it should be crazy fun come nov. 27th!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT