ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stuff out of Nate Gerry on 1620

That USC squad could have hung 80+ on last year's squad. Couldn't imagine last year's team playing the 2007 schedule.
I agree that Carroll called the dogs off when the game was in hand, and they could have done so much more. But those two Wisconsin games take the cake for me.

I guess I'm counting what actually happened, not what would have happened if Pete didn't play nice in the second half.

Reactions: arf_man
I would just like to see us defend the run in a way that doesn't involve an open field tackle by a cornerback being the only thing between the running back and a long touchdown.
It was schemed so a safety was the first to have a shot at the ball carrier.

IF you're giving up 3.3 yards or more per carry, you are giving up an average of a first down every 3 downs. IF I can run the ball for anywhere close to 4 yards per carry, I might never call a pass play. Our run defense was inconsistent at best and at times the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.

It's really hard to sustain a drive on 3.3 YPC. There are inevitably some 5-7 yard runs there...which also means there are some 1-3 yard runs + penalties. I'm fine taking my chances on 3.3 YPC. If you score you certainly earned it.

Really, we saw it all last year except for 5 or 6 quarters. Here's the ypc we gave up by game for the reg season last year:

I don't know where you got your numbers, perhaps that's from the university, but on NCAA's site it says we gave up 4.74 YPC for the year. According to your numbers it would be 4.36 That sucks donkey humps either way homeboy. I don't know if the NCAA numbers don't account for sacks and yours does, or if yours are wrong somehow, doesn't really matter.

Your saying take away 5 or 6 qtrs, so let's at least take out the obvious game. It's not fair though unless you take out the worst game and best game, which is kind of a surprise that was USC and not a cupcake. According to your numbers that would still put us at 3.86 YPC.

Is it okay to give up 177.8 yds per game and end up ranked 78th in rushing defense? So, if we take out the Wisky game, maybe we crack the top 50? We are salty at times, mostly because of our front, but we should all agree we need better run support and tackling from everyone behind them. I say we get closer to 3.5 YPC at least hopefully, and that could have us in the top 25 in rushing defense.

BTW, BYU only gave up 3.28 YPC last year, and ended up 20th in rushing defense. Miami 3.58 YPC, ranked 30th.

Funny our best game defending the run, as you have stated ( thanks ) ; was against a highly talented USC team - and guess what; NO BO HERE. ... Says something for the team and the assistants that took over; but T O seemed to think N needed a D minded coach as BO coming in - and surprise, N was failing in D as Bo left. Our D should be dramatically better; the main risk is the youth and any early injuries at linebacker.

I don't know where you got your numbers, perhaps that's from the university, but on NCAA's site it says we gave up 4.74 YPC for the year. According to your numbers it would be 4.36

I have no clue if his numbers are accurate, but you can't total his numbers and divide by 12 to get a 4.36 ypc for the year. Not every game is going to have the same number of carries, so they can't just be totaled and then averaged. I'm assuming that's the discrepancy between the 4.74 you found on the NCAA site and the 4.36 you figured from his numbers.

If you got 4.36 from his numbers a different way, sorry for the assumption on my part.

I have no clue if his numbers are accurate, but you can't total his numbers and divide by 12 to get a 4.36 ypc for the year. Not every game is going to have the same number of carries, so they can't just be totaled and then averaged. I'm assuming that's the discrepancy between the 4.74 you found on the NCAA site and the 4.36 you figured from his numbers.

If you got 4.36 from his numbers a different way, sorry for the assumption on my part.

Well, if you go to each game and you go to the YPC rushing that we gave up each game that is where his numbers seem to come from. As it comes out to: 4.37

I wouldnt consider giving up 4.0 YPC or more in 4 games (Reg season), and another 3 almost 4.0 YPC meaning that our rush D was very good. Also if we tack on the USC game (they averaged: 5.7 YPC) it makes our Rush D look even more suspect. That would mean in our total games we gave up 4.0 yards or more per carry in 5 games and another 3 games we were almost at 4.0 YPC> So that is 8 games where we either had given up 4 YPC or more and also came close to it 8 out of 13 games.

Now I dont know how the NCAA website figures total rushes by a team and total rushing yards. : 488 rushing attempts vs us and 2312 yards with a 4.74 YPC. Ranked 78th in Rush D.

The NCAA site is including QB rushes in those stats, so I am assuming? that they are also factoring in sacks as well, because if they are counting the QB rushes, then they are having to count the negative yards as well. Right? But I am not exactly sure so...

That was bad, but nothing tops Wisconsin, either the 400+ yards to Gordon last year or two RBs with over 200 yards apiece and a third with over 100 yards in the 2012 CCG. take your pick.
Gordon did it in 3 quarters too...

Well, if you go to each game and you go to the YPC rushing that we gave up each game that is where his numbers seem to come from. As it comes out to: 4.37

I wouldnt consider giving up 4.0 YPC or more in 4 games (Reg season), and another 3 almost 4.0 YPC meaning that our rush D was very good. Also if we tack on the USC game (they averaged: 5.7 YPC) it makes our Rush D look even more suspect. That would mean in our total games we gave up 4.0 yards or more per carry in 5 games and another 3 games we were almost at 4.0 YPC> So that is 8 games where we either had given up 4 YPC or more and also came close to it 8 out of 13 games.

Now I dont know how the NCAA website figures total rushes by a team and total rushing yards. : 488 rushing attempts vs us and 2312 yards with a 4.74 YPC. Ranked 78th in Rush D.

The NCAA site is including QB rushes in those stats, so I am assuming? that they are also factoring in sacks as well, because if they are counting the QB rushes, then they are having to count the negative yards as well. Right? But I am not exactly sure so...
IF you want to win the game you HAVE to run the ball AND STOP THE RUN! That's atrocious.

If I'm following the both of you right, which an error by me is always possible, you can't average the ypc from game to game to find the ypc for the season. The exception would be if every game had the same number of carries, then it would work out. Total rushing yards divided by total rushing attempts is the only way you can come up with ypc for the season...besides the exception.

For the QB rushes, my understanding has always been that sacks come out of rushing for college stats and passing for NFL stats. But that's been a while, so maybe it changed.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
sacks do count as minus rush yds in college, but not in the pros. My point was just a more general one that other than minny and wisky and maybe miami at times, teams did not regularly line up and run the ball on us (schedule was weak tho). I feel that those the first two teams really do a good job with scheme and outschemed our defense with equal (wisky) or close to equal (minny) talent. That's promising for this year if we take care of the scheme part.

IF you're giving up 3.3 yards or more per carry, you are giving up an average of a first down every 3 downs. IF I can run the ball for anywhere close to 4 yards per carry, I might never call a pass play. Our run defense was inconsistent at best and at times the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.

3.3 would be a top ten rush defense. Teams that avg 4 yds per rush aren't running the ball that well. Do you think 70 plays for 280 yards constitutes a good day of offense?

3.3 would be a top ten rush defense. Teams that avg 4 yds per rush aren't running the ball that well. Do you think 70 plays for 280 yards constitutes a good day of offense?

Well that'd probably translate into 3-4 touchdowns and a significant time of possession advantage... so yes.

Exactly, those numbers are not stellar at all, not for a team that is supposed to be solid on defense and have a defensive minded coach.

Saw his interview tonight on the news. WOW have things changed. Cohesive, playing as a unit, getting feedback. Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT