ADVERTISEMENT

I think Helfrich could be a solid OC...

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
https://fishduck.com/2020/10/future...lfrich-back-as-an-offensive-coordinator-done/

To me, it seems the dudes just not head coach material. Seemingly great offensive mind however, involved at that level during the peak of Oregon's fame during the Kelly era. Think Mariota and Herbert.

From what I've read about him, he's the kind of guy that can't be THE personality in the coaching room. More of the introvert mind type. Which should work just fine with Frost being the fiery outspoken leader type that he is. He can handle that part of stuff as CEO while trusting Helfrich to not only run the offense, but to improve it. Frost can just focus on details, pumping guys up, etc.

I wasn't excited about the otherwise obvious idea at first. But after some research, I think it's probably our best option short of luring someone like Herman here to be OC.

Thoughts??

I personally think it depends more on who we get as oline coach. That's where we need to spend the money.
the two spots are really inseparable and have to be compatible. It sounds as if there was some friction between Frost and Austin on techique and scheme. Frost may have been too loyal to Austin as a former Husker.

Helfrich was a terrible Offensive Coordinator at Colorado. And I don't think he ever called plays at Oregon. I would be very underwhelmed with the hire.
This, while Helfrich was OC Chip called the plays, then when Helfrich took over Frost called plays. Once Frost left, Oregon cratered the next year with Lubick as OC (to be fair it was the defense mostly).

Even in his stint in n the NFL Helfrich didn’t call plays.

https://fishduck.com/2020/10/future...lfrich-back-as-an-offensive-coordinator-done/

To me, it seems the dudes just not head coach material. Seemingly great offensive mind however, involved at that level during the peak of Oregon's fame during the Kelly era. Think Mariota and Herbert.

From what I've read about him, he's the kind of guy that can't be THE personality in the coaching room. More of the introvert mind type. Which should work just fine with Frost being the fiery outspoken leader type that he is. He can handle that part of stuff as CEO while trusting Helfrich to not only run the offense, but to improve it. Frost can just focus on details, pumping guys up, etc.

I wasn't excited about the otherwise obvious idea at first. But after some research, I think it's probably our best option short of luring someone like Herman here to be OC.

Thoughts??
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more Oregon crap.

My personal Mark Helfrich story…

There was a lot of buzz about Pelini getting fired one year before he did, and Frost might have been a candidate to replace him. That year, Oregon was playing at CU with Helfrich as HC and Frost as OC. I happened to see the Oregon bus arrive at a nearby hotel, and I was familiar with the layout of that hotel. So I grabbed my son and said, let’s go see if we can find Frost and yell Go Big Red or something.

So we go into the back side of the hotel with all the conference rooms, and there’s Oregon people everywhere. We drew some looks because my son was wearing Husker gear. While trying to casually sneak a peek into a conference room we ran into Helfrich. He was about 15 feet away, he saw us, and he put his hands on his hips and glared at us. We quickly moved on because he was clearly going to kick us out. Did have a good conversation with Duck RB Byron Marshall. He was cool. He wondered what was up with the Husker gear, and we told him we were boosters sent to bring Frost to Nebraska and he laughed. Never ran into Frost.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more Oregon crap.
Like it or not, we're probably not going to dramatically change the base offense which in reality is quite a ways away from what Chip ran at Oregon. Our spread option attack is morphing and will probably continue to mutate in to more of a power option run game. Virtually every high school in American runs some form of RPO spread option football now and even the NFL is using it more and more. Even San Francisco who uses a lot of fullback in their offense runs spread concepts a bunch in their offense. I've seen them run plays that looked exactly like some of the plays Frost runs. Baltimore as well.

My personal Rick Helfrich story…

There was a lot of buzz about Pelini getting fired one year before he did, and Frost might have been a candidate to replace him. That year, Oregon was playing at CU with Helfrich as HC and Frost as OC. I happened to see the Oregon bus arrive at a nearby hotel, and I was familiar with the layout of that hotel. So I grabbed my son and said, let’s go see if we can find Frost and yell Go Big Red or something.

So we go into the back side of the hotel with all the conference rooms, and there’s Oregon people everywhere. We drew some looks because my son was wearing Husker gear. While trying to casually sneak a peek into a conference room we ran into Helfrich. He was about 15 feet away, he saw us, and he put his hands on his hips and glared at us. We quickly moved on because he was clearly going to kick us out. Did have a good conversation with Duck RB Byron Marshall. He was cool. He wondered what was up with the Husker gear, and we told him we were boosters sent to bring Frost to Nebraska and he laughed. Never ran into Frost.
That’s pretty cool…

Anybody have any stories of running into Rick’s brother, Mark? That would probably be more helpful… ;-)

Which should work just fine with Frost being the fiery outspoken leader type that he is.
I'm not in the locker room or at practices, but Frost doesn't come off as a "fiery outspoken" leader to me.

That's not a bad thing, I just don't see that from him.

Reactions: keilwitzg
A lot of you that seem to think NU doesn't run the ball might need to look at some stats. I think NU has the 5th best rushing yards in the conference and the 2nd best offense in the conference.

When you dorks get your"Power Running" game, in the I formation and things bog down really fast...you will all be bitching again.

I agree and I'd be fine with it. It should have happened sooner honestly. No idea why he wasn't brought in along with Lubick. The Oregon/UCF style offense is the biggest reason Frost was such a hot commodity back before the 2018 season. It makes no sense to completely abandon it now.

I agree and I'd be fine with it. It should have happened sooner honestly. No idea why he wasn't brought in along with Lubick. The Oregon/UCF style offense is the biggest reason Frost was such a hot commodity back before the 2018 season. It makes no sense to completely abandon it now.
Guessing there’s a reason he went NFL and then neither Frost or Kelly hired him over the past 5 years. He isn’t a good recruiter and isn’t a play caller. Maybe as a co-oc and QB coach, but hiring your former boss would be a weird dynamic IMO.

Thoughts??
I would like to start with a guy that is actually employed as a football coach today. My bar is low.

A lot of you that seem to think NU doesn't run the ball might need to look at some stats. I think NU has the 5th best rushing yards in the conference and the 2nd best offense in the conference.

When you dorks get your"Power Running" game, in the I formation and things bog down really fast...you will all be bitching again.
Hi there. Big dork here. We will get what we get, my selfishness won't matter. However, your psychic powers.. Where'd you get those? Amazing foresight

More like my amazing foreskin.
giphy.gif

The running game does not go through the RB, OL, and TE currently and that is why if FAILS in the redzone.

RB production under Frost is bad. Very, very, very bad.

Reactions: DrPurify
Ohio State doesn't run the Oregon/UCF offense.
The base concepts are all the same, adding some different concepts, but the base is coming from what he learned under Kelly, who made the concepts popular, but ultimately took them from Nothwestern under Randy Walker/Kevin Wilson who pieces it together from concepts Rich Rodriguez used at Clemson and before.

The running game does not go through the RB, OL, and TE currently and that is why if FAILS in the redzone.

RB production under Frost is bad. Very, very, very bad.
No, it was great his first year. When they had an NFL back. It was pretty decent next year with a fringe NFL back.

Wouldn't be thrilled with Helfrich but I don't think the realistic candidates are going to look much better than him. This isn't going to be a situation in which great offensive minds are going to line up to coach under Frost who has 1 year to prove he can still coach. Like has been said, with how crucial next year is for Frost he can't overhaul the offense and it will need to be the same style has the current one that is just cleaned up with better o-line and qb play. Not holding my breath it will happen here or under this staff but the Oregon style offense can work and be very difficult to defend if ran properly and I actually do think Nebraska has the players to run it (just not the qb which is the most important part).

Wouldn't be thrilled with Helfrich but I don't think the realistic candidates are going to look much better than him. This isn't going to be a situation in which great offensive minds are going to line up to coach under Frost who has 1 year to prove he can still coach. Like has been said, with how crucial next year is for Frost he can't overhaul the offense and it will need to be the same style has the current one that is just cleaned up with better o-line and qb play. Not holding my breath it will happen here or under this staff but the Oregon style offense can work and be very difficult to defend if ran properly and I actually do think Nebraska has the players to run it (just not the qb which is the most important part).
It starts up front with the OL, fix the OL and the rest will fall in place.

I heard from a friend who's brothers are in sports broadcasting that rumor is Helfrich is the guy and that he will probably be bringing guys with him that coached with him at Oregon. Like many have pointed out Scott wants someone familiar with the offense that he can turn over control to and Mark meets those qualifications. However, if it is Mark I would think the announcement would be sooner rather than later since he isn't currently coaching.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I heard from a friend who's brothers are in sports broadcasting that rumor is Helfrich is the guy and that he will probably be bringing guys with him that coached with him at Oregon. Like many have pointed out Scott wants someone familiar with the offense that he can turn over control to and Mark meets those qualifications. However, if it is Mark I would think the announcement would be sooner rather than later since he isn't currently coaching.
Ugh... I hope not. I'm not big on the Helfrich train.

This wouldn't make sense....Helfrich's QB coach at Oregon was Frost, and his WR coach was Lubick....and his RB coach (Gary Campbell) at Oregon has been retired for 5 years and is 70 years old, and his OL coach there (Steve Greatwood) has been retired for 2 years and is in his mid-60s. So I doubt he would be bringing any of these guys with him to Lincoln.

This wouldn't make sense....Helfrich's QB coach at Oregon was Frost, and his WR coach was Lubick....and his RB coach (Gary Campbell) at Oregon has been retired for 5 years and is 70 years old, and his OL coach there (Steve Greatwood) has been retired for 2 years and is in his mid-60s. So I doubt he would be bringing any of these guys with him to Lincoln.
I was told he would want to bring his guys with him, might have meant his choice in assistants and not necessarily those that coached with him.

I think if it were Helfrich, he would have leaked out by now. My guess is it will be a younger guy who is still coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT